Fritz Haber is the reason Scientists should respect God / Religion

Fritz Haber is the reason Scientists should respect God / Religion

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by e4chris
Its not really relevant to haber but a recent case highlights the kind of attitudes I'm on about. People got paranoid about buying parabens, enough for cosmetics companies to market 'paraben free' products, allegedly they can mimic eastrogen, there is a mix commonly used in cosmetics and one was recently found to be risky in that way. It got into the press a ...[text shortened]... dium benzoate could well be worse then paraben and they don't want any tests to find out...
Cosmetics companies not wanting tests done on their products is nothing to do with science. That is big business trying to preserve profits at all costs.

e

Moves
06 Mar 13

Originally posted by Kepler
Cosmetics companies not wanting tests done on their products is nothing to do with science. That is big business trying to preserve profits at all costs.
In engineering you have this concept 6 sigma, that a part must be reliable for a million uses. (stops planes from falling out they sky) I tell you chemists really lack this concept... how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic, for a long time that has been the chemical industry thinking.

h

Moves
06 Mar 13
2 edits

In engineering you have this concept 6 sigma, that a part must be reliable for a million uses. (stops planes from falling out they sky) I tell you chemists really lack this concept... how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic, for a long time that has been the chemical industry thinking.
What is " how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic," got to do with scientific knowledge/understanding? This is just politics and any 'bad' politics is not the fault of scientific knowledge/understanding.

e

Moves
06 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
What is " how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic," got to do with scientific knowledge? This is just politics.
D I O X I N

C F C

h

Moves
06 Mar 13
2 edits

D I O X I N
What about it? Its unwise use is as a result of politics and not science. It is not the job of science to tell us how we should behave so if we misbehave that it OUR fault, not sciences fault.

e

Moves
06 Mar 13

What about it? Its unwise use is as a result of politics and not science.
how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic

h

Moves
06 Mar 13
1 edit

how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic
What has that got to do with scientific knowledge/understanding? and before you say
D I O X I N again, how is the unwise use of science the fault of science and not us?

e

Moves
06 Mar 13
1 edit

What has that got to do with scientific knowledge/understanding? and before you say
D I O X I N again, how is the unwise use of science the fault of science and not us?
Why don't you try and answer that question, I've tried.

h

Moves
06 Mar 13
6 edits

OK; the answer is "it isn't" i.e. it isn't the fault of science that some people sometimes misuse it.
What's your answer? (and "D I O X I N" would not be an answer I understand -you really need to elaborate on that a bit and, bear in mind, I am not a mind reader!
-I cannot usually guess the whole of your thinking from just one or two words unless you explain it)

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
06 Mar 13

That's industry not science. Science says "I discovered something new". Business says "Great, now how can we profit from it?"

e

Moves
06 Mar 13
1 edit

What is " how cheap can we make it, how fast can we turn it out, sue if someone says its toxic," got to do with scientific knowledge/understanding? This is just politics and any 'bad' politics is not the fault of scientific knowledge/understanding.
when i put in in capitals I just mean thats was a big, long lasting example of chemists, and industry being negligent, oddly it was well meaning in places, eg with malaria, but they had no idea how toxic it was and it wouldn't of taken that much work to find out.

K

Germany

Moves
06 Mar 13

If you burn yourself, is the inventor of fire to blame?

e

Moves
06 Mar 13

I'm sure haber would say that too, you can take that way of thinking to far tho ....(i would ban most fireworks for that reason! but thats just me)

Cape Town

Moves
06 Mar 13

I'm sure haber would say that too, you can take that way of thinking to far tho ....(i would ban most fireworks for that reason! but thats just me)
I would ban guns. Why aren't you railing against them? Surely they are involved in almost all violent deaths in the world today? (excluding car accidents)

e

Moves
07 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
I would ban guns. Why aren't you railing against them? Surely they are involved in almost all violent deaths in the world today? (excluding car accidents)
ban them for who? I would ban them in the green grocers but in some places thats normal. I would ban most fireworks because they are not idiot proof, and this is the thing about haber and wreckless chemistry, my aunt with an nvq in catering would have a better idea what to do with toxic chemicals then haber... she would put on gloves to start and i've seen professors that don't .