Evidence modern man mated with neanderthal

Evidence modern man mated with neanderthal

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
25 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
I lived a long time in Alaska, Inuit lives by the water mostly, getting seals, the occasional whale and such. They would not have had that resource in a total glaciated period.
A fair point. It would seem likely that this sort of lifestyle would require a fairly complex material culture though, so would probably only have been within the capabilities of H. Sapiens Sapiens. Magdalenian artefacts show some indications of this sort of subsistence (harpoon points etc.), and have been reliably dated back to 18,000 - 20,000bp.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Apr 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
A fair point. It would seem likely that this sort of lifestyle would require a fairly complex material culture though, so would probably only have been within the capabilities of H. Sapiens Sapiens. Magdalenian artefacts show some indications of this sort of subsistence (harpoon points etc.), and have been reliably dated back to 18,000 - 20,000bp.
Still, they would not have been able to harpoon anything with a mile thick layer of ice so they would have had to have been at the edge of the ice and if anything the presence of those ancient harpoons would indicate more where the edge of the glacier was at that time more than the presence of humans there. The glacier level came and went in cycles so a thousand years one way or the other would have the glacier in different locations.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
25 Apr 10

Still, they would not have been able to harpoon anything with a mile thick layer of ice so they would have had to have been at the edge of the ice and if anything the presence of those ancient harpoons would indicate more where the edge of the glacier was at that time more than the presence of humans there. The glacier level came and went in cycles so a thousand years one way or the other would have the glacier in different locations.
Granted. And in fact it is generally accepted that Magdelenian culture relied quite heavily or even principally on reindeer, which of course would have to avoid the ice sheet. Even so, it is conceivable or even likely that there would have been some human presence wherever there was exposed coastline in Northern Europe once H.S.S. was on the scene.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
26 Apr 10

Modern man did what?! The kinky son of a gun!!!

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
26 Apr 10

Originally posted by adam warlock
Well actually, if we accept the supposed absence of Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA, it was modern woman that did it. 😲

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Apr 10

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/04/early-humans-may-have-bred-wit.html#comment-2275986

Our purity as modern humans is now blown wide open. For decades, scientists have been saying modern humans never mixed dna with Neanterthals but this evidence shows otherwise and the full dna of Neanterthals will soon be finished and they will be looking even deeper.
.... or Neanderthal mated with modern woman!

Either way it does explain some of the characters at my local!

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
26 Apr 10

Well actually, if we accept the supposed absence of Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA, it was modern woman that did it. 😲
I always knew that modern woman wasn't to be trusted...

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 10

Originally posted by adam warlock
Modern man will do anything he can fit into and half the things he can't.

silicon valley

Moves
26 Apr 10

the ancient harpoon points would now be offshore where the glaciers' edge used to be.

wasn't NYC 400 ft below ice during the ice age?

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
27 Apr 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
So Bill Clinton is his other name, then?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Apr 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
We don't know just who did the mixing with what, Neander man against modern woman or modern man against neander female.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Apr 10

We don't know just who did the mixing with what, Neander man against modern woman or modern man against neander female.
Yea, but I echo someone else's post - there are folk that'll get jiggy with pretty much anything that... well, I was gonna say 'moves' but that's hardly necessary for some, is it?

silicon valley

Moves
03 May 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_genome_project

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 May 10

Yea, but I echo someone else's post - there are folk that'll get jiggy with pretty much anything that... well, I was gonna say 'moves' but that's hardly necessary for some, is it?
Some folks don't even WANT it to move.....

silicon valley

Moves
04 May 10

Some folks don't even WANT it to move.....
where is the smiley for "hair-raising" ...