December 21, 2012

December 21, 2012

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
semper fi

Moves
13 Mar 12
1 edit

I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH) on this date. Is it just another day, or is it the beginning of the end. I know this seems like a crappy thread, but I would like to see if there are any dooms day people out there. If there are, what are you in fear of?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Mar 12

Maybe the Mayan's just got tired of making those huge stone calendars and gave up? Lol

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by usmc7257
I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH) on this date. Is it just another day, or is it the beginning of the end. I know this seems like a crappy thread, but I would like to see if there are any dooms day people out there. If there are, what are you in fear of?
This has nothing to do with science.

The best comment about it I have seen to date was this one:
http://xkcd.com/998/

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Mar 12

I did hear somewhere that their calendar was almost as accurate as an atomic clock.
Don't know how true that is however.

Manny

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
13 Mar 12

i'm planning a huge end-of-the-world party. we'll probably have "1999" on repeat play...and some uh...treats to make the guests more agreeable.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by menace71
I did hear somewhere that their calendar was almost as accurate as an atomic clock.
For one to call a calendar "accurate", one must presumably be talking about how well it matches with the solar year ie how many days per year it uses compared to how many days there really are in a solar year.
However, as far as I know, the Mayan calendar did not match solar years, so I am guessing the claim was made up by someone.

Moves
13 Mar 12

I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH)
Too bad, because he would, IMAO, be the best source of "information" on this date. At any rate, most Mayan-Disasterers seem exactly as sane as most Young-Earthers. The quality of their reading of their own sources is certainly similarly accurate.

Richard

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by menace71

Manny
I heard somewhere that the Eskimo's have a hundred words for snow. That's about as correct.

Richard

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Too bad, because he would, IMAO, be the best source of "information" on this date. At any rate, most Mayan-Disasterers seem exactly as sane as most Young-Earthers. The quality of their reading of their own sources is certainly similarly accurate.

Richard
Yep, if anyone is worried about it, my advice would be don't give away all your stuff just yet.....

In 2013, there will be egg on a lot of faces.

No, No, we got it wrong, it is really december 2014 the end of the world takes place..

2014 comes and goes with no disaster, WAIT, we got it wrong, here is the REAL date....

W
Pusher of wood

Los Gatos, CA

Moves
13 Mar 12

Mayan calendar is a bunch of hogwash.

The world will end when asteroid 2012 DA14 hits us, February of 2013. Oh sure - those smarty pants scientist types say it won't hit us. Just like they say that the Judgment day didn't come last year on May 21st. It's all a big coverup, i tell you. Tou were Judged - now comes the Sentence!!

To find out more on this incredible coverup, send your check or money order today. I'll tell you everything you need to know to survive Astroidastrophe 2013.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
13 Mar 12

http://www.livescience.com/7926-10-failed-doomsday-predictions.html

As a child I was terrified by one of these predictions, I think it was the Seventh Day Adventists in the 1950s. I went to bed expecting never to wake up. I've never believed a Doomsday prediction since. What is it about humans that they need something to panic about?

Moves
14 Mar 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
http://www.livescience.com/7926-10-failed-doomsday-predictions.html

As a child I was terrified by one of these predictions, I think it was the Seventh Day Adventists in the 1950s. I went to bed expecting never to wake up. I've never believed a Doomsday prediction since. What is it about humans that they need something to panic about?
SOME humans...

I personally have never felt the need for something to panic about...
Quite the opposite actually.

u
semper fi

Moves
14 Mar 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
This has nothing to do with science.

The best comment about it I have seen to date was this one:
http://xkcd.com/998/
How does the date have nothing to do with science? According to many, the Earth aligns with center of galaxy etc... Maybe RJ will believe it and won't renew hs sub.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Mar 12

By then I would like to see people thinking more holistic, peaceful thoughts, rather than getting influenced by the fear surrounding this date.

Hopefully it will be a smooth change, from what to what is up to the individual. I am not going to spoon feed.

And if nothing happens, well perhaps that could be the best outcome by all.

I never underestimate any scenario though, after all in the boy who cried wolf, the wolf eventually came

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Mar 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
i'm planning a huge end-of-the-world party. we'll probably have "1999" on repeat play...and some uh...treats to make the guests more agreeable.
Thats a good idea whatever happens.

Maybe the party will even cause people to remember that date as a very different xmas than usual