1. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 02:571 edit
    I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH) on this date. Is it just another day, or is it the beginning of the end. I know this seems like a crappy thread, but I would like to see if there are any dooms day people out there. If there are, what are you in fear of?
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 03:20
    Maybe the Mayan's just got tired of making those huge stone calendars and gave up? Lol
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 05:211 edit
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH) on this date. Is it just another day, or is it the beginning of the end. I know this seems like a crappy thread, but I would like to see if there are any dooms day people out there. If there are, what are you in fear of?
    This has nothing to do with science.

The best comment about it I have seen to date was this one:
    http://xkcd.com/998/
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 05:40
    I did hear somewhere that their calendar was almost as accurate as an atomic clock.
    Don't know how true that is however.

Manny
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 06:12
    i'm planning a huge end-of-the-world party. we'll probably have "1999" on repeat play...and some uh...treats to make the guests more agreeable.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 08:30
    Originally posted by menace71
    I did hear somewhere that their calendar was almost as accurate as an atomic clock.
    For one to call a calendar "accurate", one must presumably be talking about how well it matches with the solar year ie how many days per year it uses compared to how many days there really are in a solar year.
    However, as far as I know, the Mayan calendar did not match solar years, so I am guessing the claim was made up by someone.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 12:40
    I am curious to know thoughts from this esteemed forum (minus RJH)
    Too bad, because he would, IMAO, be the best source of "information" on this date. At any rate, most Mayan-Disasterers seem exactly as sane as most Young-Earthers. The quality of their reading of their own sources is certainly similarly accurate.

Richard
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 12:41
    Originally posted by menace71

Manny
    I heard somewhere that the Eskimo's have a hundred words for snow. That's about as correct.

Richard
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 16:391 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Too bad, because he would, IMAO, be the best source of "information" on this date. At any rate, most Mayan-Disasterers seem exactly as sane as most Young-Earthers. The quality of their reading of their own sources is certainly similarly accurate.

Richard
    Yep, if anyone is worried about it, my advice would be don't give away all your stuff just yet.....

In 2013, there will be egg on a lot of faces.

No, No, we got it wrong, it is really december 2014 the end of the world takes place..

2014 comes and goes with no disaster, WAIT, we got it wrong, here is the REAL date....
  10. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 17:33
    Mayan calendar is a bunch of hogwash.

The world will end when asteroid 2012 DA14 hits us, February of 2013. Oh sure - those smarty pants scientist types say it won't hit us. Just like they say that the Judgment day didn't come last year on May 21st. It's all a big coverup, i tell you. Tou were Judged - now comes the Sentence!!

To find out more on this incredible coverup, send your check or money order today. I'll tell you everything you need to know to survive Astroidastrophe 2013.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 22:33
    http://www.livescience.com/7926-10-failed-doomsday-predictions.html

As a child I was terrified by one of these predictions, I think it was the Seventh Day Adventists in the 1950s. I went to bed expecting never to wake up. I've never believed a Doomsday prediction since. What is it about humans that they need something to panic about?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 01:10
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    http://www.livescience.com/7926-10-failed-doomsday-predictions.html

As a child I was terrified by one of these predictions, I think it was the Seventh Day Adventists in the 1950s. I went to bed expecting never to wake up. I've never believed a Doomsday prediction since. What is it about humans that they need something to panic about?
    SOME humans...

I personally have never felt the need for something to panic about...
    Quite the opposite actually.
  13. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 02:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This has nothing to do with science.

The best comment about it I have seen to date was this one:
    http://xkcd.com/998/
    How does the date have nothing to do with science? According to many, the Earth aligns with center of galaxy etc... Maybe RJ will believe it and won't renew hs sub.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 04:04
    By then I would like to see people thinking more holistic, peaceful thoughts, rather than getting influenced by the fear surrounding this date.

Hopefully it will be a smooth change, from what to what is up to the individual. I am not going to spoon feed.

And if nothing happens, well perhaps that could be the best outcome by all.

I never underestimate any scenario though, after all in the boy who cried wolf, the wolf eventually came
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 04:06
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i'm planning a huge end-of-the-world party. we'll probably have "1999" on repeat play...and some uh...treats to make the guests more agreeable.
    Thats a good idea whatever happens.

Maybe the party will even cause people to remember that date as a very different xmas than usual

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree