Artistic logarithmic view of entire universe!

Artistic logarithmic view of entire universe!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Jan 16

http://www.zmescience.com/other/astropicture/logarithmic-map-universe/

These are not drawings but photos made by dozens of telescopes on Earth and in orbit.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.zmescience.com/other/astropicture/logarithmic-map-universe/

These are not drawings but photos made by dozens of telescopes on Earth and in orbit.
It incorporates photos, but overall still takes a lot of artistic licence. I am sure the outer edge (a quarter of the diameter) is not based directly on photos. The rest of it is just photos put in the approximately right places but not necessarily correctly to scale.
Certainly the scale of the sun in proportion to the planets is wrong as are the sizes of the planets in relation to each other.

It does look nice though.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Jan 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
It incorporates photos, but overall still takes a lot of artistic licence. I am sure the outer edge (a quarter of the diameter) is not based directly on photos. The rest of it is just photos put in the approximately right places but not necessarily correctly to scale.
Certainly the scale of the sun in proportion to the planets is wrong as are the sizes of the planets in relation to each other.

It does look nice though.
It was meant to be a work of art, not an exact replica of the universe. How could you do that accurately in one piece maybe 2 feet across, whatever the size is. He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jan 16

He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂
There is no such thing as 'full size' when talking about a logarithmic scale.

h

Moves
18 Jan 16

He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂
I think making the pictures to the same size as what the pictures are of would be rather ambitious.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Jan 16

Originally posted by humy
I think making the pictures to the same size as what the pictures are of would be rather ambitious.
That was a re-telling of a Steve Wright joke. He wants a map of the US, full size🙂