Are most scientists sniveling fearful conformists?

Are most scientists sniveling fearful conformists?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
30 May 19
1 edit

@humy said
Simple; Like you, he can form his own irrational opinions about scientists and science while not being a qualified scientist himself.
Is the purpose of this thread to try to attack the reputation of us science experts here in revenge to us generally disagreeing with your various non-expert opinions about various science-related topics? If not then what purpose?
You mean like you and deepthought telling me time dilation is not gravity and is the result of gravity. You were both wrong unless Brian Greene is wrong about GR.

http://www.briangreene.org/portfolio/light-falls/

Brian said "that tiny time warp is why things fall. Objects do not want to age. The math shows things are drawn to locations where time elapses more slowly."

That is exactly what I have been saying all along. I was right and not one person on this forum defended me and I had to fend off your unjustified attacks. You all were taught wrong about GR and ASSUMED I must have been wrong.

How many times have I told you not to assume?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 May 19

@metal-brain said
You mean like you and deepthought telling me time dilation is not gravity and is the result of gravity. You were both wrong unless Brian Greene is wrong about GR.

http://www.briangreene.org/portfolio/light-falls/

Brian said "that tiny time warp is why things fall. Objects do not want to age. The math shows things are drawn to locations where time elapses more slowly ...[text shortened]... wrong about GR and ASSUMED I must have been wrong.

How many times have I told you not to assume?
Greene might want to parse it that way but the underlying phenomena is due to the malleability of space and time. Mass in our universe affects changes in space/time. It affects BOTH. He just says the same thing in a different way.

h

Moves
30 May 19
3 edits

@metal-brain said
You mean like you and deepthought telling me time dilation is not gravity
anyone who claims time dilation IS gravity is an idiot for doing so.
Do you? You seem to clearly imply it in the above comment.
If time dilation IS gravity then how is it that special relativity implies you can have time dilation without gravity?
(that's by far not the only thing wrong with that bit of nonsense but lets just keep it simple)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 May 19

@humy said
Do you?
If time dilation IS gravity then how is it that special relativity implies you can have time dilation without gravity?
(that's by far not the only thing wrong with that bit of nonsense but lets just keep it simple)
Well technically speaking, time dilation without gravity is, I think you are referring to, going near c. But in that case going near c increases mass to so it still is a double whammy, which increases gravity also, I think.

MB

Moves
30 May 19

@humy said
Do you? You seem to clearly imply it in the above comment.
Brian said "that tiny time warp is why things fall. Objects do not want to age. The math shows things are drawn to locations where time elapses more slowly."

Are you calling Brian Greene an idiot? He has excellent credentials. His statement clearly vindicates me and makes you look like an idiot.

MB

Moves
30 May 19

@sonhouse said
Greene might want to parse it that way but the underlying phenomena is due to the malleability of space and time. Mass in our universe affects changes in space/time. It affects BOTH. He just says the same thing in a different way.
The time dilation causes attraction. I was right all along and it was proposed by Einstein 100 years ago. Go ahead and explain what causes the time dilation with theories if you like. That is all you are left with now.

Time dilation is gravity. Greene's statement did not merely imply it, he was clear. Of course it affects both space and time. You can't have one without the other.

h

Moves
31 May 19
6 edits

@metal-brain said

Are you calling Brian Greene an idiot?
Not for saying that above.
Did he ever say/imply time dilation IS gravity? -certainly not from the above statements.
Time dilation is gravity.
No, it isn't.
Where did you come up with such nonsense?
If time dilation IS gravity then explian to us all here why special relativity clearly implies time dilation can happen WITHOUT gravity....
Greene's statement did not merely imply it, he was clear.
Which one of his statements implied time dilation is gravity and HOW so? So far none of his statements you have shown here implied time dilation is gravity so apparently its not him being an idiot but just you.
time dilation causes attraction
Even if Greene would agree with that assertion, does X attracting Y imply X IS Y? A moth is attracted to light therefore a moth IS light (YOUR logic)

MB

Moves
31 May 19
1 edit

@humy said
Not for saying that above.
Did he ever say/imply time dilation IS gravity? -certainly not from the above statements.
Time dilation is gravity.
No, it isn't.
Where did you come up with such nonsense?
If time dilation IS gravity then explian to us all here why special relativity clearly implies time dilation can happen WITHOUT gravity....
[quote] Greene's ...[text shortened]... oes X attracting Y imply X IS Y? A moth is attracted to light therefore a moth IS light (YOUR logic)
What causes objects to fall to earth? Time dilation. That is what Greene said.
No ambiguity there. Notice he did not say the bending of space/time like you did. The bending of space/time is just a description of observation of time dilation's effect, not the other way around as you and deepthought implied.

You all claimed time dilation was the result of gravity and not the weak force that attracts objects. Furthermore, it was all because none of you understand GR well and merely pretended to. You were all wrong and I was right.

What is really sad is that this was established 100 years ago and you fools claimed I was wrong and even became condescending about it. Don't you feel stupid?

"Even if Greene would agree with that assertion, does X attracting Y imply X IS Y? A moth is attracted to light therefore a moth IS light (YOUR logic)"

Even your comparisons are illogical. I didn't say objects are attracted to the earth because of time dilation so the object is time dilation.

You omitted gravity from your comparison. Stupid!

h

Moves
31 May 19
4 edits

@metal-brain said
What causes objects to fall to earth? Time dilation. That is what Greene said.
Where and when did he say this?
Via what quote?
What was his EXACT words to that effect?
If you aren't lying and he siad/implied this, why don't you vindicate yourself to us all by PROVING it to us all just by SHOWING us exactly where he made that assertion and/or words of this effect?
it was all because none of you understand GR well and merely pretended to.
WOW what delusional arrogance. So you think YOU, who has NO expertise nor qualifications in GR, understands GR BETTER than DeepThought even though he has a relevant SCIENCE DEGREE on it while you do not!?
DeepThought has vastly more understanding and knowledge of GR than me or you so, even if you don't believe me, you should at least believe him on it unless you are completely way out of it.

I didn't say objects are attracted to the earth because of time dilation so the object is time dilation.
No, and I never implied you did. You implied time dilation is gravity because "time dilation causes attraction" which is just as stupid. Same stupid logic; "X causes Y 'therefore' X IS Y" is stupid logic (not to mention the premise is incorrect anyway but that's besides the point I was making).

MB

Moves
31 May 19

@humy said
Where and when did he say this?
Via what quote?
What was his EXACT words to that effect?
If you aren't lying and he siad/implied this, why don't you vindicate yourself to us all by PROVING it to us all just by SHOWING us exactly where he made that assertion and/or words of this effect?
[quote] it was all because none of you understand GR well and merely pretended to. [/quo ...[text shortened]... id logic (not to mention the premise is incorrect anyway but that's besides the point I was making).

That tiny time warp is time dilation. Do you deny that?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 May 19

@metal-brain said

That tiny time warp is time dilation. Do you deny that?
That doesn't mean cause and effect. It means mass has TWO effects. So if time dilation causes stuff to fall, what about a spacecraft going .99% of the speed of light? It is well known THAT causes time dilation also. Does that mean the ship is powered by time dilation?

h

Moves
31 May 19
2 edits

@metal-brain said
Clearly nothing there implies he is claiming/thinks time dilation IS gravity.
So it's only you being an idiot here for saying time dilation IS gravity.

If a clock is moved close to c and far away from any significant gravity well (so no gravity involved) and so to be seen to tick more slowly from an outside observer and thus time dilation is observed, how is that observed time dilation also 'gravity'? You make no sense.

MB

Moves
31 May 19

@sonhouse said
That doesn't mean cause and effect. It means mass has TWO effects. So if time dilation causes stuff to fall, what about a spacecraft going .99% of the speed of light? It is well known THAT causes time dilation also. Does that mean the ship is powered by time dilation?
A spacecraft is not capable of going that fast. It is simply impossible.

MB

Moves
31 May 19

@humy said
Clearly nothing there implies he is claiming/thinks time dilation IS gravity.
So it's only you being an idiot here for saying time dilation IS gravity.

If a clock is moved close to c and far away from any significant gravity well (so no gravity involved) and so to be seen to tick more slowly from an outside observer and thus time dilation is observed, how is that observed time dilation also 'gravity'? You make no sense.
You need to watch the video. Greene spends a considerable amount of time explaining the equivalence principle. You would be advised to learn it instead of remaining ignorant and denying reality.

h

Moves
01 Jun 19

@metal-brain said
A spacecraft is not capable of going that fast. It is simply impossible.
That's not only irrelevant to the argument even if true (what if it DID go that fast? ), If you were not so ignorant you would know special relativity proves time time dilation happens at ANY non-zero relative speed.
How can such time dilation BE gravity (like you claim) when it happens well away from any significant gravity well thus no gravity involved? You make absolutely no sense whatsoever.