100,000 years of climate change, stalagmite data:

100,000 years of climate change, stalagmite data:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jun 13

http://phys.org/news/2013-06-borneo-stalagmites-view-abrupt-climate.html

Since we know how long it takes for minerals to precipitate out of water, these stalagmites in Borneo show a 100,000 years history and the changes in the layers shows differences in climate over that vast time period. Kind of like the layers of ice in the ice core data from the poles and Greenland where you see thicker and thinner layers and can analyze isotope ratios inside each layer and tell pretty accurately what the climate was like all along that 100,000 year span of time and it shows times when the climate changed quite suddenly.

For instance, there have been found mammoths in the arctic, frozen and then dug up, where there were undigested daisy's in their stomachs. That showed that the mammoths died in the springtime when there were daisy's on the ground for them to eat but they died so quickly digestion stopped before the daisy's could be digested. They figured through thermodynamic analysis, the temperatures were temperate, maybe 50 or 60 degrees F but within a few minutes something happened where the temperature plunged from 50 degrees plus to 100 degrees MINUS, so cold the mammals froze solid on the spot. Try to picture what was going on to produce such devastating changes in temperatures.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://phys.org/news/2013-06-borneo-stalagmites-view-abrupt-climate.html

Since we know how long it takes for minerals to precipitate out of water, these stalagmites in Borneo show a 100,000 years history and the changes in the layers shows differences in climate over that vast time period. Kind of like the layers of ice in the ice core data from the pole ...[text shortened]... e spot. Try to picture what was going on to produce such devastating changes in temperatures.
One scientific theory based on the biblical account is that the animals were alive before the flood and were frozen early in the flood. Water vapor in the atmosphere may have caused a more uniform temperature around the planet. As the atmosphere suddenly released great amounts of water, polar regions experienced rapid freezing. Northern Alaska and Siberia could have experienced a temperature drop of 100°F or more in a matter of hours. Another variation on this theory is that when fountains of the deep broken open, tectonic plates moved whole continents from tropical to polar regions in a few days or possibly hours. Then there is a combination of these two theories.

The Hydro-Plate Theory and The Great Flood

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/HydroPlateTheory/

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
One scientific theory based on the biblical account is that the animals were alive before the flood and were frozen early in the flood. Water vapor in the atmosphere may have caused a more uniform temperature around the planet. As the atmosphere suddenly released great amounts of water, polar regions experienced rapid freezing. Northern Alaska and Siberia co ...[text shortened]... depigrapha.com/HydroPlateTheory/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHd9zScNog

The Instructor
Er, just how do you freeze ANYTHING in a flood? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding the nature of liquid water but most liquid water I know about is above 32 degrees F.

More creationist nonsense. Of course they don't put up crap like that in a peer reviewed real science journal. They would be laughed out of existence.

P

Moves
08 Jun 13

One scientific theory based on the biblical account is that the animals were alive before the flood and were frozen early in the flood. Water vapor in the atmosphere may have caused a more uniform temperature around the planet. As the atmosphere suddenly released great amounts of water, polar regions experienced rapid freezing. Northern Alaska and Siberia co ...[text shortened]... depigrapha.com/HydroPlateTheory/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHd9zScNog

The Instructor
This comment belongs in the spirituality forum NOT here. I suggest the powers that supervise these forums ban The Instructor, RJ Hinds, from this forum.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Jun 13

Er, just how do you freeze ANYTHING in a flood? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding the nature of liquid water but most liquid water I know about is above 32 degrees F.

More creationist nonsense. Of course they don't put up crap like that in a peer reviewed real science journal. They would be laughed out of existence.
Apparently you have never heard of snow.

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by Phranny
This comment belongs in the spirituality forum NOT here. I suggest the powers that supervise these forums ban The Instructor, RJ Hinds, from this forum.
This is a scientific theory.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jun 13

Apparently you have never heard of snow.

The Instructor
As far as I know, it takes a temperature of about 30 degrees to generate snow, that makes it hard to have liquid water.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Jun 13

As far as I know, it takes a temperature of about 30 degrees to generate snow, that makes it hard to have liquid water.
You don't know much about the weather. We have snow and rain on the Earth at the same time very often, even today. If the tempearture drops too low the top part of the water freezes. But it is not unusual to have frozen water in certain areas of the earth and liquid water in other parts of the Earth. Educate yourself.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jun 13
1 edit

You don't know much about the weather. We have snow and rain on the Earth at the same time very often, even today. If the tempearture drops too low the top part of the water freezes. But it is not unusual to have frozen water in certain areas of the earth and liquid water in other parts of the Earth. Educate yourself.

The Instructor
Sure you can have snow here and rain a thousand miles away. You were saying there would be liquid water and ice at the same time, the only time that happens is if the surface of a lake freezes and the deeper water remains liquid.

This is totally off the subject which is about 100,000 years of climate data in the caves of stalagmites.

Don't EVEN tell me they can't be that old. I don't want to hear your fantasy world BS.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Sure you can have snow here and rain a thousand miles away. You were saying there would be liquid water and ice at the same time, the only time that happens is if the surface of a lake freezes and the deeper water remains liquid.

This is totally off the subject which is about 100,000 years of climate data in the caves of stalagmites.

Don't EVEN tell me they can't be that old. I don't want to hear your fantasy world BS.
Well, perhaps we don't know how long it takes for minerals to precipitate out of water in all situations. And you said that there have been found mammoths in the arctic, frozen and then dug up, where there were undigested daisy's in their stomachs. I was only suggesting a scientific theory that does not require 100,000 years of history and may explain the sudden climate change.

The Instructor

h

Moves
09 Jun 13
5 edits

One scientific theory based on the biblical account is that ....
LOL. You start your post with a logical contradiction ( "scientific theory based on the biblical account"? How can anything be "scientific" based on superstition/religion? ) and then continue as if there's nothing wrong there.

[off topic] I have been a way for some time because I have been living in a caravan with no internet. I now have internet but I doubt that even now I will have much time for these forums [/off topic]

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Originally posted by humy
LOL. You start your post with a logical contradiction ( "scientific theory based on the biblical account"? How can anything be "scientific" based on superstition/religion? ) and then continue as if there's nothing wrong there.

[off topic] I have been a way for some time because I have been living in a caravan with no internet. I now have internet but I doubt that even now I will have much time for these forums [/off topic]
With your bad attitude, I believe you would do just as well to go back to living in a caravan with no internet.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jun 13
2 edits

With your bad attitude, I believe you would do just as well to go back to living in a caravan with no internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cK23n0Z038

The Instructor
Bad ATTITUDE? You are the one with the most extraordinarily bad attitude, you didn't even answer his charge that there can be no "science" in the bible. Instead you go for the ad hominem attack, like that is going to somehow diminish the validity of his charge.

OF COURSE there is no science in the bible, it can be no other way. The bible is a book of religious nonsense not science.

It is also a low down mean thing to say to someone who is temporarily homeless.

Your attitude is the meanest I have seen in a long time.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Humy, if you are reading this, please accept my apology for Hinds insensitive insane behavior.

h

Moves
09 Jun 13
3 edits

Don't worry. I was not offended because I already am rather familiar with his 'manner' (putting it politely).
Incidentally, although I have had a hard time with some extraordinary temporary misfortune with a disastrous house sale and then a disastrous and very badly delayed and disastrous house buy (I was forced by time constants and financial mishap to settle for something very much less than I hoped for) and then a very badly delayed house move (hence me living in a caravan) and my mother falling and injuring herself so badly that she now is crippled for life and will never walk again and totally dependent on my care and, unbelievably, was physically assaulted by some nurses at the hospital (we are considering legal action but we are not entitled to legal aid so that, even if we win the case, we my still loose financially by taking on the case!), fortunately we were not once actuality homeless. But, despite all that, my situation is improving now although my original plan to buy some land after buying a house to grow all my own food is now totally out the question for at least a year I think.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 13

Bad ATTITUDE? You are the one with the most extraordinarily bad attitude, you didn't even answer his charge that there can be no "science" in the bible. Instead you go for the ad hominem attack, like that is going to somehow diminish the validity of his charge.

OF COURSE there is no science in the bible, it can be no other way. The bible is a book of re ...[text shortened]... my, if you are reading this, please accept my apology for Hinds insensitive insane behavior.
I did not know that living in a caravan meant he was homeless. I thought it was a choice, like being a hippie, or living in a commune. I am indeed sorry if I misunderstood his comment and seemed insensitive.

The Instructor