word puzzles

word puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Melbourne

Moves
16 Jan 04

Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
[b]everything is coming up roses!

how about:
a circle
MBA
DDS
Th.D.[/b]
sounds a bit too cold for me, 3 degrees below zero.

habirdnd = bu2sh

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
16 Jan 04

Originally posted by kewkumba
sounds a bit too cold for me, 3 degrees below zero.

habirdnd = bu2sh
right!

a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
as the puzzle actually reads, "bird in hand is 2 in bush."

some more:
first:
what's
tv

second:
garments
wear
(hint: something i don't do)

third:
pedal appendage of a certain creature + one who indulges in a certain pastime = this rhp participant.
also,
fish + part of a certain coordinate system or a one-word question + what some people do and otehrs lose + type of mustang = another rhp participant.

p

Moves
16 Jan 04

right!

[b]a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

as the puzzle actually reads, "bird in hand is 2 in bush."

some more:
first:
what's
tv

second:
garments
wear
(hint: something i don't do)

third:
pedal appendage of a certain creature + one who indulges in a certain pastime = this rhp participant.
also,
fish + part of ...[text shortened]... word question + what some people do and otehrs lose + type of mustang = another rhp participant.[/b]
1. What's on T.V. ?

2. Wear undergarments. Whoo-hooh!

3. finfan?

not sure about the last one either.

Try this one: radiate + cry like a baby + ongoing battle + evil emperor in Flash Gordan = ecological concern

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
17 Jan 04

Originally posted by palomine
1. What's on T.V. ?

2. Wear undergarments. Whoo-hooh!

3. finfan?

not sure about the last one either.

Try this one: radiate + cry like a baby + ongoing battle + evil emperor in Flash Gordan = ecological concern
right on 1 and 2, but 3 isn't what i wanted.
the answer to yours is global warming.
(glow + bawl + war + ming)

try.
part of 24-hour period + unit of weight + an article (makes the first word) and roman d as a number (for the second word)
all together, this is considered by some to be one of the greatest spectacles in the world.

p

Moves
18 Jan 04

right on 1 and 2, but 3 isn't what i wanted.
the answer to yours is [b]global warming
(glow + bawl + war + ming)

try.
part of 24-hour period + unit of weight + an article (makes the first word) and roman d as a number (for the second word)
all together, this is considered by some to be one of the greatest spectacles in the world.[/b]
The Daytona 500.

I'm still stuck on the rhp participants. The first one seems to refer to you- Barefoot Chessplayer -but I don't see how.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
19 Jan 04

The Daytona 500.

I'm still stuck on the rhp participants. The first one seems to refer to you- Barefoot Chessplayer -but I don't see how.
right on both.
here's how to break them down:

day + ton + a + 500 and
pedal digit of certain creature = bear foot + one who indulges in a certain pastime = chess[ ]player..

try:
fish + word following "mess" + sphere (first part) and certain group (for second part); together they make a group of people.

p

Moves
21 Jan 04

right on both.
here's how to break them down:

day + ton + a + 500 and
pedal digit of certain creature = bear foot + one who indulges in a certain pastime = chess[ ]player..

try:
fish + word following "mess" + sphere (first part) and certain group (for second part); together they make a group of people.
Duh! I didn't even think about the bear part. oh well.

still thinking about the new one...but I think the other rhp participant is garyminford.

Try: how you leave a message on this forum + One of the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force + one kid = a representative.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
21 Jan 04

still thinking about the new one...but I think the other rhp participant is garyminford.

Try: how you leave a message on this forum + One of the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force + one kid = a representative.
the "bear" part was what makes it a challenge but easy once you get that piece!

right on garymindford.
fish = gar + part of a certain coordinate system or a one-word question = y (why) + what some people do and others lose = mind + type of mustang = ford.
together they make an rhp participant.
i have no clue no yours yet; i never followed athf, and the rest are too broad.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
21 Jan 04
1 edit

i was disappointed that no one tried this.

try this one:
my first and second are transcendantal in nature.
my third might be found in a computer or football stadium.
my last is part of a coordinate system, or maybe a one-w ...[text shortened]... nquiry.
my whole is associated with the roman numeral xii.
this has been up for two weeks, so i guess it's time to give the answer.
the first and second are e and pi, two transcendental numbers.
the third part is fan.
the last part is y (or why).
putting it all together produces epiphany, "the twelfth day of christmas" (hence xii) or 6 january.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
22 Jan 04
1 edit

Odd weycp. Rca mrephcil sg kigpatm owanul?

one letter maps to itself.
decode the message.
no one has tackled this, so i'll give a hint:
except for the letter that maps to itself, all others are interchanged in pairs (e. g., "b" and "z" interchange so all "b"s are "z"s and vice versa).
that should help.
keep at it.

p

Moves
09 Feb 04

how you leave a mesaage on this board = post
One of the Mooninites form ATHF = Ur
One kid = child

poster child = representative

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
10 Feb 04
1 edit

how you leave a mesaage on this board = post
One of the Mooninites form ATHF = Ur
One kid = child

poster child = representative
oh!
i couldn't find the names of the moonnites so couldn't do that one.
any luck with my last (repeated) puzzle?
i'll put up the answer to that next week.

in the meantime:
(first word) former baseball great + hesitant word + state abbreviation (second word) certain organ + incur debt + article = place of residence of an rhp participant.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
12 Mar 04

try:
this one hsa been up for too long so i'll answer it:
fish = bass
word after "mess" = kit
sphere = ball
certain group = team
put it all together and you get basketball team, a group of people.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
12 Mar 04
1 edit

Odd weycp. Rca mrephcil sg kigpatm owanul?.
no one wanted to try this one either, so i'll give the answer:
remembering that leters interchange except one. the first word should be a hint in that either "o" or "d" maps to a vowel so, try o/a. then first word becomes "add", third "rco", sixth "kigpotm", and last "awonul". "d" then must map to "h", "l", "s", or "w" to make a valid word, but "ahh" and "aww" can be discounted for now unless nothing else works. if you chose "s", what are you going to do with "dg"? the only two-letter word beginning with "d" i can think of is "do" and "g" can't be "o" since we said "a" was, so we'll disallow that for now unless the "o/a" interchange is wrong. therefore, the first word becomes all, fourth "mrephcid", and last "awonud". how many five-letter words can you come up with to follow "all" and make a sentence? i can't think of any except "clear", "wrong", and "right" and "clear" is not it since "c" can't be "a", nor can it be "wrong" since "y" cannot be "o" so let's try "right". suddenly most parts fall into place! the third word becomes "who", the fourth "mwitched", the fifth "sy", the sixth "keytopm" and last "aronud". interchange "s" and "m" for "switched", "my", and "keytops". all that's left is "n" and "u" since "k" can't change (and thus is the one that maps to itself), and the message reads:
All right. Who switched my keytops around?

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
12 Mar 04

(first word) former baseball great + hesitant word + state abbreviation (second word) certain organ + incur debt + article = place of residence of an rhp participant.
former baseball great = mel Ott
hesitant word = um
state abbreviation = WA
certain organ = eye
incur debt = owe
article = a
put it all together for ottumwa, iowa, the city of residence of an rhp participant (no, not me!).