what came first chicken or egg

what came first chicken or egg

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
08 Dec 04

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
D) Nobody's ever seen a chicken hatch from an egg. Any memories you have of this were implanted in your brain by the CIA.
I KNEW IT! It's been a conspiricy all along!

I bet you got cooler memories than I did 🙁

G

Moves
09 Dec 04

It depends on where you draw the line between chicken and nonchicken, as TheMaster37 pointed out. Wherever that line is drawn, the parent of the first chicken was a very chicken like animal. The last mutation was just good enough that it enabled chickens to slowly outcompete the protochickens, but I don't know what it was. I haven't looked into the matter.

TheMaster37 is right though. The egg came first.
lets assume there is a chicken egg, isnt anything that laid the egg a chicken?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Dec 04

Originally posted by Gambitzoid
lets assume there is a chicken egg, isnt anything that laid the egg a chicken?
That depends on how you define 'chicken egg'.

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
12 Dec 04

The answer is neither or both as the egg and the chicken are one and the same.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Dec 04

Originally posted by Jay Peatea
The answer is neither or both as the egg and the chicken are one and the same.
No they aren't. What are you talking about?

Eggs have shells. Chickens don't.

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
12 Dec 04

No they aren't. What are you talking about?

Eggs have shells. Chickens don't.
The shell is just a small fraction of the egg, the insides are what counts. It is the embroy inside that turns into the chicken, therefore they are one and the same, but just at different phases of developement 🙂

OD

Hoagy's Alley

Moves
12 Dec 04

I think the eggbox came first. Then someone took the egg out of the eggbox, and then the chicken hatched. I'm not 100% sure about this, though.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Dec 04

The shell is just a small fraction of the egg, the insides are what counts. It is the embroy inside that turns into the chicken, therefore they are one and the same, but just at different phases of developement 🙂
Really? Do alligator embryos turn into chickens? How about wasp embryos?

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
12 Dec 04

Really? Do alligator embryos turn into chickens? How about wasp embryos?
No but chicken embryos do.

I remember somebody else once said in another thread (I think it was royalchicken) that it was the egg because dinosaurs eggs were around long before chickens.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Dec 04

No but chicken embryos do.

I remember somebody else once said in another thread (I think it was royalchicken) that it was the egg because dinosaurs eggs were around long before chickens.
Yep.

U

Moves
26 Dec 04

I have but only two words to say: The egg.|😏

f

my head

Moves
26 Dec 04

Originally posted by Polynikes
A Thousand Young, thanks for your answer. I really apologize to you, I didnt mean to lead you on, I was posting a bit sarcastically.

I do not believe in evolution. I am not saying that I am a bible thumper, and I am not going to jam anything down your throat.

My point was only to bring in some valid, unanswerable questions. The theory of evolution ...[text shortened]... n over every last rock in the sea. And then Ill just say that they must be buried a bit deeper.
once you acept DNA/genetics as true, and there is no good reason not to, evolution becomes an enevitable side-effect. even it theuniverse was created twelve seconds ago, if genetics was created as a part of it, then evolution would already have started (although nobody would notice for about another million years.)

it is really difficult to type with cold fingers.
:'(

C

the Netherlands

Moves
27 Dec 04

There is compelling empirical evidence that the chicken comes first:

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i4/chicken_egg.html

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Dec 04

Originally posted by Citanul
There is compelling empirical evidence that the chicken comes first:

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i4/chicken_egg.html
Wow. That's pretty convincing. Hmm. Maybe I'd better change my stance on this.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Dec 04

Originally posted by fearlessleader
once you acept DNA/genetics as true, and there is no good reason not to, evolution becomes an enevitable side-effect. even it theuniverse was created twelve seconds ago, if genetics was created as a part of it, then evolution would already have started (although nobody would notice for about another million years.)

it is really difficult to type with cold fingers.
:'(
Evolution does not become an inevitable side effect of the existence of DNA and genetics. The point of contention of most people who don't believe the TOE is that the TOE combines natural selection - which many Creationists have no problem with - with the idea that "information can be created" through mutation. This point of view is definitely one that should be examined thoroughly and doubting it is a reasonable thing to do.