Tube Puzzle

Tube Puzzle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06

My wife and I regularly get on the same Tube in London at the same time.Monday to Friday.

We get off together and arrive home together.We live Right next to the Tube station.

The day in question.

As she gets on ,I drop my mobile phone and it bounces away from the train..

By the time I have picked it up the doors have closed and the train is on its way with my wife onboard.I phone her and tell her not to wait,but go straight home.

I wait for the next train .Board it and make my way home.

My wife gets off of her train.Makes her way home .Lets herself in only to find I am already there.

How was this possible?

At no time did I cheat .I got the Tube from the same station as she did.I took exaclty the same route as I always do.

How come I was home first?

k

Moves
09 Jan 06

she went farther by mistake

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06

Not the answer

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
09 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by celticcountry
My wife and I regularly get on the same Tube in London at the same time.Monday to Friday.

We get off together and arrive home together.We live Right next to the Tube station.

The day in question.

By the time I have picked it up the doors have closed and the train i ...[text shortened]... e station as she did.I took exaclty the same route as I always do.

Is the day in question a weekday?
Is the normal way you travel home optimal (could you in fact wait longer for an express train or something)?

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06
1 edit

Nope . The train I got took exactly the same route. in exacctly the same amount of minutes. No overtaking.

Edit. I replied before your edit.

Day of week irrelevent.

m

Moves
09 Jan 06

Is this a true story?

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrzenu
Is this a true story?
No.

But the puzzle works in real life.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
09 Jan 06

The day in question.

By the time I have picked it up the doors have closed and the train i ...[text shortened]... e station as she did.I took exaclty the same route as I always do.

Did you take a taxi?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
09 Jan 06

Her train had a mechanical problem.

Possibly she took a convoluted route after she got off, or she walks slower than you, but you said you live right next to the train.

Maybe she went shopping?

Or maybe she's handicapped and it takes forever for her to get off the train.

Moves
09 Jan 06

Did you both get on the Circle line in Laahndaan and she fell asleep so did an extra circuit, either that or you too are a master of teleportation?

K
Critical Failure

Moves
09 Jan 06
3 edits

You are at the station next to your home. The train comes. You both enter. You drop your phone and you leave the train. The train leaves with your wife. The next train comes. You board the train, but change your mind and leave it again. You go straight home. Some time later, your wife joins you, after having changed trains and returning home.

Moves
09 Jan 06

The day in question.

The train you got came in at a different platform - closer to your house?

When you are with your wife you take the station lift, but when on your own you run up the stairs?

Your car was parked at the station car park, and you had the key, so your wife had to walk home?

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06
2 edits

some good answers in there.

I did nothing to cheat and beat my wife on purpose.

The train I got was the very next train.Same start and finish platform.
Both trains took exactly the same time.

This is a cast iron puzzle. There are no tweeks, nor are there any plays on words.

The facts are all plain to see.There is no deviation to our routines.except. I took the very next train.

And we live right next door to the exit staion.No taxis or other transport. Just 2 trains and walking. Nothing paranormal either.

d

Moves
09 Jan 06

some good answers in there.

I did nothing to cheat and beat my wife on purpose.

The train I got was the very next train.Same start and finish platform.
Both trains took exactly the same time.

This is a cast iron puzzle. There are no tweeks, nor are there any plays on words.

The facts are all plain to see.There is no deviation to our ro ...[text shortened]... e exit staion.No taxis or other transport. Just 2 trains and walking. Nothing paranormal either.
No idea, but must say I'm fascinated.

Did think your wife might be a train driver, but you told her to go straight home, so it can't be that...

d

Moves
09 Jan 06

Originally posted by dottewell
No idea, but must say I'm fascinated.

Did think your wife might be a train driver, but you told her to go straight home, so it can't be that...
Oh hang on, I may have it. We you on one of those lines with two routes, e.g. the Northern Line? And she went the long way, you went the short way.

The trains alternate between the routes.