Space temperature question

Space temperature question

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o

Moves
10 Oct 05

I just thought of this today and it kinda stumped me, and i suddenly knew exactly where to ask it- the rhp forums.

There is no mass in space, yet scientists say that space is a few degrees above absolute zero. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it takes mass to have temperature, right? How can space be massless and still have temperature?

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
10 Oct 05
6 edits

Originally posted by obvek
I just thought of this today and it kinda stumped me, and i suddenly knew exactly where to ask it- the rhp forums.

There is no mass in space, yet scientists say that space is a few degrees above absolute zero. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it takes mass to have temperature, right? How can space be massless and still have temperature?
I think you mean zero-gravity, right?
Because you can't feel the affect earth's gravity pulling you, but it still is actually.
Weight is a measurement of gravity on mass. Mass does not change with gravity, weight does.

Temperature is just measurement of kinetic energy of atomic particles.
All matter has no kinetic energy "freezes/stops" at absolute zero. in theory.
This explains why objects expand and contract with temp.
Also why elements or compounds are more reactive with higher temps.

So yes, you must have mass to have a measurable temp, basicly.

Or is mass and temp is a property of matter? So matter is needed. I thinks thats a better answer.

I have no degree on the topic. So you and I will be set straight soon.

c

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
10 Oct 05

Well, your average bit of space isn't completely devoid of matter; it has bits of dust and stuff in it too. And, of course, your thermometer 😵.

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
10 Oct 05

So what is the temp of a single free proton or neutron as it flies through your skull like a bullet.

Astronauts say they see flashes of light when free particles like this pass trough their retinas.

All solid matter is mostly empty space.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
10 Oct 05

Pressure in space is in the order of 10^-20 Pa (Pascals).
It's not zero.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 05

Correct. Space is obviously not mass-less. There are things like insterstellar dust, comets, and meteors, and asteroids, and planets and stars and galaxies and stuff in it. Not to mention nebulas and stuff given off by supernovas and quite a bit more free hydrogen than you'd expect. AND not to mention somewhat hypothetical stuff, like dark matter.

While the local tempurature, like inside star systems, is quite a bit above absolute zero, there is a heck of a lot of space between galaxies that is relatively matter-free, and therefore a lot closer to absolute zero. So much so that the hypothesis is that the overall average temp of the universe ends up being slightly above absolute zero.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Oct 05
1 edit

The "vacuum" of space is essentially mass-free. There's around 1 atom of hydrogen per cubic centimetre.

The reason why the temperature is not absolute zero is very simple. Absolute zero, or 0 Kelvin, does not exist anywhere. It's a theoretical temperature, if you like. Heat travels from a warm area to a cooler one. That's how things cool down. So, for absolute zero to exist, there would have to exist a place which is cooler still. And this is not possible.

o

Moves
12 Oct 05

So what you're saying is that the scientists, when they give the average temperature of space, are actually giving the average temperaturo of the gas, dust and other particles floating around out there?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Oct 05

So what you're saying is that the scientists, when they give the average temperature of space, are actually giving the average temperaturo of the gas, dust and other particles floating around out there?
Replace the second temperature with average velocity and yes.

AG

Moves
12 Oct 05

What the heck!! Cant we discuss issues that could feed the hungry, I love space and everything in it but this discussion has no relevence to any of our lives.

How can we feed the hungry?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
12 Oct 05

Originally posted by Alan "Soylent" Green
What the heck!! Cant we discuss issues that could feed the hungry, I love space and everything in it but this discussion has no relevence to any of our lives.

We could feed you to them. That would help a little bit.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 05

rOriginally posted by obvek

What the temperature of space means there is a background of
microwave radiation that would heat something very cold, say at 1
degree Kelvin, up to the tempurature of 2.73 degrees Kelvin.
It has nothing to do with mass, its just microwave radiation which
is the leftover radiation from the big bang but because the universe
has expanded to billions of light years across, this radiation has
been stretched out by the same amount, so it originally was a much
higher frequency, shorter wavelength, and thus a higher tempurature
but if you make the wavelength longer, the energy content per
packet of radiation (each wavelength) goes down. I am not sure what
the original wavelength was, ten times higher, hundreds of times,
not sure but its been measured at 2.73 degrees Kelvin.
It also doesn't matter which direction you point your antenna, its nearly
the same in all directions. Thats what won the Nobel prize for Pensias
and his buddies.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Oct 05

Originally posted by sonhouse
What the temperature of space means there is a background of
microwave radiation that would heat something very cold, say at 1
degree Kelvin, up to the tempurature of 2.73 degrees Kelvin.
It has nothing to do with mass, its just microwave radiation which
is the leftover radiation from the big bang but because the universe
has expanded to billions of ...[text shortened]... nearly
the same in all directions. Thats what won the Nobel prize for Pensias
and his buddies.
You continue to fail to read threads.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 05

Originally posted by Alan Green

What about those hungry for information?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You continue to fail to read threads.
That is the origin for the temp, 2.73 K. You mention the E-20 Pa
as a pressure. Is that the pressure of the total gas in the universe
averaged over its apparent volume? Or are you referring to the
expansion of space itself? If it is the former, a 'tempurature' of
space may be worked out, the average temp of all the gas in the
universe but there is still the CBR of 2.73K. Two differant things.