Physics Test - how smart are you?

Physics Test - how smart are you?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Restless Soul
because if it was green people wouldn't know where to stop mowing their lawn.
Then why is the lawn green?

Answer: When the yellow light from the sun is blended with the blue light from the sky then you get green, and that's why the laws is green.

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Then why is the lawn green?

Answer: When the yellow light from the sun is blended with the blue light from the sky then you get green, and that's why the laws is green.
if the lawn was blue airplanes wouldn't know where to land

R
The Rams

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ramned
Yes, good.

Power = work / time. Time = 1, so here power = work.
Work = Distance * Force. Distance = 9 so Work = 9*Force
Force = Mass(Acceleration). Acceleration = 10 (gravity.) Mass = 60 (600 is weight -> /10 and 60 is mass). Force = 600.

So Work = 9*600, Work = 5400. Power = 5400. Done. (Isn't that a bit more simple, just use the Force = Mass * Acce ...[text shortened]... e still have #1-#2. (tension is the other variable in #10). Then I'll post the hardest I know.
You could simply look at the texture of the ground.
now...

F

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by Restless Soul
if the lawn was blue airplanes wouldn't know where to land
Blue flowers are not pollinated by insects.
Because if insects would be attracted to the blue colour, then they would fly to the sky.
Can anyone entomologist/botanist confirm this?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Blue flowers are not pollinated by insects.
Because if insects would be attracted to the blue colour, then they would fly to the sky.
Can anyone entomologist/botanist confirm this?
Some bee flowers tend to be yellow or blue, often with ultraviolet nectar guides and scent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination_syndrome

m

Moves
07 Jun 07
1 edit

tension is the other variable in #10
You missed one - where you pluck it. That determines which harmonics the string vibrates at. E.g. compare plucking it in the middle with plucking it a quarter of the way along.

R
The Rams

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by mtthw
You missed one - where you pluck it. That determines which harmonics the string vibrates at. E.g. compare plucking it in the middle with plucking it a quarter of the way along.
tension covers that. The edges are more tense than the middle = tension.

So, #1-#2 - who knows those tricky mirror questions?

E
Seeker

Going where needed.

Moves
08 Jun 07
3 edits

Knows them, or knows the idea behind them?

edit1: 1. C.

It just depends upon the distance of the mirror from you or the object.

edit2: sorry. need a deeper explanation.

If the distance between you and the mirror is greater than the distance of the focal point from the mirrors parabola, then you are seeing a virtual.

If the distance between you and the mirror is less than the distance of the focal point to its corresponding curve, the image is real

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Jun 07

No, the tension in a string is uniform to a good approximation.

m

Moves
08 Jun 07
1 edit

No it doesn't. The tension is the same everywhere (neglecting some minor effects like gravity). Think about balancing the forces on a section of the string - the forces at each end (in other words the tension at each end) must cancel out. This applies to any section of string, so the tension is constant.

Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first harmonic. Pluck it a quarter of the way along and you'll get the second harmonic - half the wavelength and twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
08 Jun 07

No it doesn't. The tension is the same everywhere (neglecting some minor effects like gravity). Think about balancing the forces on a section of the string - the forces at each end (in other words the tension at each end) must cancel out. This applies to any section of string, so the tension is constant.

Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first ...[text shortened]... nd twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.
It's true! I've popped many a squealie in my lifetime.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Jun 07

Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first harmonic. Pluck it a quarter of the way along and you'll get the second harmonic - half the wavelength and twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.
Unless you can pluck the string in such a way that just before you let go it is shaped exactly like a sine wave then you won't get a pure harmonic no matter where you pluck it; although how important each harmonic is is going to depend on where it's plucked.

I double checked the statement about tension on Wikipedia before posting and couldn't find any statement to contradict what we are saying about it being uniform along the string, but while I was looking I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string

Which gives a nice puzzle for the thread. Why is the derivation of the speed of waves on the string wrong? And why does the author happen to get the right answer?

m

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
Unless you can pluck the string in such a way that just before you let go it is shaped exactly like a sine wave then you won't get a pure harmonic no matter where you pluck it; although how important each harmonic is is going to depend on where it's plucked.

I double checked the statement about tension on Wikipedia before posting and couldn't find any ...[text shortened]... speed of waves on the string wrong? And why does the author happen to get the right answer?
True, I was simplifying.

As for the last bit - well spotted! Centripetal force for something that isn't rotating? I don't think so. Dimensional analysis tells you the answer is going to be right to within a constant multiplier though. Which happens to be 1, though that may be coincidence.

a

Moves
11 Jun 07
1 edit

[Post deleted. Please ignore].

R
The Rams

Moves
11 Jun 07

I see, I did oversimplify tension. I should have said that if you were to pluck the string in the same place everytime, tension and length would be the factors for the pitch.