Perpetual Motion Discovered?

Perpetual Motion Discovered?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
04 Jul 07

See this story, VERY interesting, and also a source of either pride or shame for any other Irish people out there depending ont he validation results...
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0704/breaking46.htm

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
04 Jul 07

Originally posted by agryson
See this story, VERY interesting, and also a source of either pride or shame for any other Irish people out there depending ont he validation results...
Being Irish has nothing to do with it. If you check the records, most of the flim-flam artists claiming to have discovered perpetual motion were English. But this is a farce nonetheless. It will eventually be disproved, as were all the rest.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
04 Jul 07

Originally posted by PBE6
Being Irish has nothing to do with it. If you check the records, most of the flim-flam artists claiming to have discovered perpetual motion were English. But this is a farce nonetheless. It will eventually be disproved, as were all the rest.
I dunno, they've nothing to gain, everything to lose. I'm skeptical myself, but they've refused further investment in the idea until the report is published. and are contractually obliged (by the contract THEY worded) to publish EVERYTHING the jurors say.
They're obviously confident themselves, and they're not idiots, so I'm gonna wait for the juror report.
I can't see how it would work, but then people rarely do with these things.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
04 Jul 07

And if it does work out, I think you'll excuse me a little national pride. (While on the point, one of them was actually born in Birmingham)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Jul 07

Drama and anticipation are always welcome in my book.

A live working demonstration will be streamed on the internet from 6pm tonight. It can be viewed on the web from four different camera angles, before opening to visitors on Thursday.

Anyone has a link?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
04 Jul 07

I dunno, they've nothing to gain, everything to lose. I'm skeptical myself, but they've refused further investment in the idea until the report is published. and are contractually obliged (by the contract THEY worded) to publish EVERYTHING the jurors say.
They're obviously confident themselves, and they're not idiots, so I'm gonna wait for the juror report.
I can't see how it would work, but then people rarely do with these things.
My mom is from Ireland, I hold an Irish passport, and the first tattoo I get will be either the Irish flag or the 26 counties - definitely not this "perpetual motion machine."

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
05 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Anyone has a link?
www.steorn.com

They've delayed the live demo until tomorrow.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
05 Jul 07

I saw a tv show where a guy built a machine that kind of looks like a gyroscope. A ball travels around in a circle along a track and the track lifts up and down like a wave. Magnets force the track to move.

Hard to describe. It had been going for months without interuption. Anyone see it on the Discovery Channel?

Some scientists had studied the design and couldn't figure out how the 3 laws appeared to be overcome.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
05 Jul 07

Originally posted by uzless
I saw a tv show where a guy built a machine that kind of looks like a gyroscope. A ball travels around in a circle along a track and the track lifts up and down like a wave. Magnets force the track to move.

Hard to describe. It had been going for months without interuption. Anyone see it on the Discovery Channel?

Some scientists had studied the design and couldn't figure out how the 3 laws appeared to be overcome.
No I didn't see it, but that may be a spanner in the works for any patent applications!
If you find it, post a link or something, it'd be great to read more...

F

Moves
05 Jul 07

In these 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile, the net energy gained must come from somewhere. Energy can't just be produced from nothing. So if it comes from somewhere it is not a perpetuum mobile.

Many 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile has been presented by hobby geniuses and none of these has been true perpetuum mobiles. No one have been even close to extract energy from nothing ever. Not even theoretically.

In your face

Moves
05 Jul 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In these 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile, the net energy gained must come from somewhere. Energy can't just be produced from nothing. So if it comes from somewhere it is not a perpetuum mobile.

Many 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile has been presented by hobby geniuses and none of these has been true perpetuum mobiles. No one have been even close to extract energy from nothing ever. Not even theoretically.
If this is so, where did all the energy in the universe initially come from? It must have been created somehow?

c

Moves
05 Jul 07

Just another weird thought: We (humans) give heat to our environment all the time (at least when its not super hot outside or so). cant that heat be used/absorbed by a device/suit somehow and be transformed into engery that a cellphone or mp3-player or so can use to run or reload or so? has something like that been done already? i dont think i would be the first person to think of such a thing 😉

X

Moves
05 Jul 07

Originally posted by jimslyp69
If this is so, where did all the energy in the universe initially come from? It must have been created somehow?
All energy and matter came from the Big Bang. Using physics, there is no way to know what happened before the Big Bang or where all the energy/matter came from. Scientists have a good idea what happened the second after, but there is no way to gather information before that. (I could be wrong on all this, but I don't think I am) The only answer I know of is God. If you don't believe in God, good luck finding another solution.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by jimslyp69
No; I think it was simply squeezed into a singularity. It wasn't created at the BB.

X

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
No; I think it was simply squeezed into a singularity. It wasn't created at the BB.
Possibly... but if so, then where did that come from?