missing dollar

missing dollar

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
09 Oct 05

Maybe you've heard this before, but its a good one. It confused the crap out of me for a while.

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ways, so he decides to keep $2 for himself, and only returns $3. Thus the 3 guys have paid $27 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?

P

Moves
09 Oct 05

Originally posted by perihelion
Maybe you've heard this before, but its a good one. It confused the crap out of me for a while.

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ...[text shortened]... 7 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?
Bad addition does not constitute a puzzle.

f

Moves
09 Oct 05
1 edit

3 guys are sharing a hotel room that costs $30, so they each pay $10. Later on, the hotel manager lowers the rate to $25 for a room, so he sends a bellboy to give them the $5 refund. On the way, the bellboy is wondering how they're going to split $5 three ...[text shortened]... 7 for the room, and the bellboy took $2 which adds up to $29. What happened to the extra dollar?
The 2 that the bellboy returned are accounted in the $27. Therefore, there are $25 with the owner and $2 with the bellboy. The other $3 have actually been returned.

p

Moves
09 Oct 05

Originally posted by Pullhard
Bad addition does not constitute a puzzle.
Bad addition. does not constitute an answer

see i can be a smartass too 😀

P

Moves
09 Oct 05

Bad addition. does not constitute an answer

see i can be a smartass too 😀
Yes, but my smartass comment made sense.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Oct 05

Ancient puzzle.

Try it with the £ and see if you get the same answer.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
Ancient puzzle.

Try it with the £ and see if you get the same answer.
Ok, now that's truly stupid... the currency could be dollars, pounds, euro, lira, rubles, yen or even rocks, for god's sake...

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Oct 05

Originally posted by Suzianne
Ok, now that's truly stupid... the currency could be dollars, pounds, euro, lira, rubles, yen or even rocks, for god's sake...
I've concluded, after much thought on the matter, that you are without a sense of humour. Remarkable!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 05

I've concluded, after much thought on the matter, that you are without a sense of humour. Remarkable!
Why, when confronted with an error, do you always play the 'no sense of humor' card?

Saying 'Ancient puzzle' at the front of your post seems to imply that you are already decrying the question of it's simplicity, in an offhand, dismissive way.

This is no different from 99% of your posts, so where's the signpost for humor?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Why, when confronted with an error, do you always play the 'no sense of humor' card?

Saying 'Ancient puzzle' at the front of your post seems to imply that you are already decrying the question of it's simplicity...

This is no different from 99% of your posts, so where's the signpost for humor?
1) I don't believe I've ever mentioned it before.

2) I don't see how it could.

3) Pointing away from "Sulk City" 😵

And why the apostrophe in your second line?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Oct 05

Because I'm human and I made a mistake!! Ok?

And please don't belabor the point any further by quoting the "apostrophe rules" to me. I know how to use them; I simply made an honest mistake.

At least I can admit mine.

a

Moves
12 Oct 05

1) I don't believe I've ever mentioned it before.

2) I don't see how it could.

3) Pointing away from "Sulk City" 😵

Where is the period in your third sentence?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
12 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by abejnood
Where is the period in your third sentence?
If you mean the full stop, it's where you'd expect it to be. Though around 200 times the usual size 😛

C

Earth Prime

Moves
12 Oct 05

If you mean the full stop, it's where you'd expect it to be. Though around 200 times the usual size 😛
so a smiley counts as a full stop?

m

Moves
29 May 06

the amount owing is $25, not $30. so you do not add $2 to $27 to get $29, you take it away from $27 to make the $25 that is owed, because it is taken out of the equation by the bell boy