Mirror world

Mirror world

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
21 Apr 05

One day, little Johnny wakes up and finds he's been transported to mirror-world, where the orientation of everything is reversed. For example, the hands on the clock in his bedroom now move anti-clockwise, and Germany is now just to the west of France.

Johnny reckons he can get used to reading from right to left, and other such trivialities. But he's still in deep trouble, as is his mirror double who's been transported to Johnny's world. Why?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
21 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Acolyte
One day, little Johnny wakes up and finds he's been transported to mirror-world, where the orientation of everything is reversed. For example, the hands on the clock in his bedroom now move anti-clockwise, and Germany is now just to the w ...[text shortened]... is mirror double who's been transported to Johnny's world. Why?
He forgot to pack clean reverse-underwear? He still has cholera? He still can't find a job? His salad fork should now be on the inside right, and he'll die of embarrassment at his next dinner party? Disco isn't dead? He'll come last in every game of cribbage from now until the end of time? He can't get used to reverse-crapping first and then throwing up unchewed food? His king and queen will be reversed, rendering his years of MCO study useless? He forgets that he now "dresses" left, and dies of massive hemorraging at his next tailoring? Rubic's cube just isn't the same anymore? He eats and wipes reverse handed, inspiring the wrath of Allah? His honey-dip lives on the East side now, and traffic is a bitch going uptown? The Crips and the Bloods wear reverse colours, and he wanders into Compton wearing the wrong 3-D glasses?

These are all just guesses. Does anyone have anything concrete?

Here's one real guess: all of his molecules that have orientation are messed up, and he dies from lack of everything.

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
21 Apr 05

He's made out of matter in a universe made out of anti-matter.

BOOOOOOOOM

S

Moves
21 Apr 05

One day, little Johnny wakes up and finds he's been transported to mirror-world, where the orientation of everything is reversed. For example, the hands on the clock in his bedroom now move anti-clockwise, and Germany is now just to the west of France.

Johnny reckons he can get used to reading from right to left, and other such trivialities. But he's still in deep trouble, as is his mirror double who's been transported to Johnny's world. Why?
He's now gay and he wants to be straight. And Ynnhoj is now straight and wants te be gay??? 🙄

There are soooo much scenario's to come up with. Especially for mind-twisted people like me! 😏

translation for the counterpart (Ynnhoj);

😏 !em ekil elpoep detsiwt-dnim rof yllaicepsE .htiw pu emoc ot s'oiranecs hcum oooos era erehT

🙄 ???yag eb et stnaw dna thgiarts won si johnnY dnA .thgiarts eb to stnaw eh dna yag won s'eH.

Grtz!
Siebren

Nerbeis
!ztrG

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
21 Apr 05

The properties of some biological molecules differ depending on whether they are "right-handed" or "left-handed". Would he be unable to digest some sugars or alcohols properly?

His internal organs would also be reversed. That might create some medical complications, but none would necessarily be in deep trouble.
Except perhaps for blood transfusions whether molecular symmetry would be an issue.

His photos, fingerprints, and reflection would also be reversed of course, and hence a little different. But again why would put him in deep trouble?

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
21 Apr 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
The properties of some biological molecules differ depending on whether they are "right-handed" or "left-handed". Would he be unable to digest some sugars or alcohols properly?
Indeed so. Johnny is eventually going to die of either poisoning or starvation, unless someone discovers a miraculous way of making mirror-food (or mirror-mirror-food, as the case may be).

So remember kids, you can visit the other side, but don't stay for dinner!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
22 Apr 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole

His internal organs would also be reversed. That might create some medical complications, but none would necessarily be in deep trouble.
Except perhaps for blood transfu ...[text shortened]... e reversed of course, and hence a little different. But again why would put him in deep trouble?
Shoot. You got to it first.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
22 Apr 05

Originally posted by PBE6
He forgets that he now "dresses" left, and dies of massive hemorraging at his next tailoring?

I'd be surprised if many people even know this term anymore. It's not like most
people go to tailors nowadays!

Here's one real guess: all of his molecules that have orientation are messed up, and he dies from lack of everything.

I think PEB6 got it first.

Nemesio

f

my head

Moves
23 Apr 05

Originally posted by jimmyb270
He's made out of matter in a universe made out of anti-matter.

BOOOOOOOOM
no need for it to be anti matter, many quantum particels have right/left orientation (spin) that could be messed up by such an inversion. it wouldn't make any diffrence so long as they are all inverted at the same time, but if jimmy is not inverted in a world that has been inverted, he may very well cease to exist, or something much more catosrophic.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
23 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by fearlessleader
no need for it to be anti matter, many quantum particels have right/left orientation (spin) that could be messed up by such an inversion. it wouldn't make any diffrence so long as they are all inverted at the same time, but if jimmy ...[text shortened]... may very well cease to exist, or something much more catosrophic.
Hmmm. I don't know what effect spin would have on things, and I'm afraid I don't know the maths involved. But from what I've read, handedness of elementary particles is not a rotation-invariant property, and in fact a rotation of 2pi will invert a particle's spin.

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
26 Apr 05
1 edit

Indeed so. Johnny is eventually going to die of either poisoning or starvation, unless someone discovers a miraculous way of making mirror-food (or mirror-mirror-food, as the case may be).

So remember kids, you can visit the other side, but don't stay for dinner!
I'm SURE there is an Asimov or Clarke story that deals with this - if I was not so lazy, I would look it up. (Did the protagonist not have a surname like Right or Left?)

OK - went to the bookcase ( which involved standing up and walking - so everyone better be grateful... ), and discovered that Clarke wrote a short story entitled "Technical Error" published in 1946 - (so he beat all of you above!), that deals with the reverse molecule story, where the protagonist starves (but is saved in the end).

Asimov most likely wrote the one with the surname Left or Right, but it was more of a humorous story.

alcra

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Nemesio
[b]He forgets that he now "dresses" left, and dies of massive hemorraging at his next tailoring?

I'd be surprised if many people even know this term anymore. It's not like most
people go to ta ...[text shortened]... m lack of everything.[/b]

I think PEB6 got it first.

Nemesio[/b]
Alright! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Acolyte, you heard the man. Let me bite your avatar. Just a little bit. Just a nibble.

And it's true that most people don't bother with tailors these days, Nemesio. I think the decline started because of a wave of massive hemorrages.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
28 Apr 05

Alright! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Acolyte, you heard the man. Let me bite your avatar. Just a little bit. Just a nibble.

And it's true that most people don't bother with tailors these days, Nemesio. I think the decline started because of a wave of massive hemorrages.
Of course, PBE6. You got the biscuit this time.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Apr 05

Originally posted by Alcra
I'm SURE there is an Asimov or Clarke story that deals with this - if I was not so lazy, I would look it up. (Did the protagonist not have a surname like Right or Left?)

OK - went to the bookcase ( which involved standing up and walking - so everyone better be grateful... ), and discovered that Clarke wrote a short story entitled "Technical Error" publi ...[text shortened]... ly wrote the one with the surname Left or Right, but it was more of a humorous story.

alcra
It was Forward (or Backward) I think. I don't remember the name of the story.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
28 Apr 05

Of course, PBE6. You got the biscuit this time.
Mmmm, grahammy...