1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 13:16
    Yeah, I got a piece of Stride gum stuck in my throat a few days ago. I haven't figured out how to get it out, and if I can I'd rather avoid having to go to the doctors for it. I can breathe fine, so my conclusion is that it's lodged somewhere below my windpipe. Any ideas?
  2. Going where needed.
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 13:301 edit
    Originally posted by artplayer
    Yeah, I got a piece of Stride gum stuck in my throat a few days ago. I haven't figured out how to get it out, and if I can I'd rather avoid having to go to the doctors for it. I can breathe fine, so my conclusion is that it's lodged somewhere below my windpipe. Any ideas?
    Take in a few more drinks than normal, doesnt necessarily have to be water or anything, just has to be a drinkable fluid of some sort, because the flow of the drinks down the trachea should wash the gum straight down to the stomach...

Or you could eat some bread. Sometimes bread will catch a piece of gum on the way down...
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 13:54
    Just take it all in Stride. 😵
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 14:00
    It's a very strange sensation, I can feel the piece of gum there, and I can't seem to do a lot about it, almost like it's stuck on something. But at the same time it's not choking me to death. This experience will likely put me off of gum forever.
  5. Going where needed.
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 14:021 edit
    It's a very strange sensation, I can feel the piece of gum there, and I can't seem to do a lot about it, almost like it's stuck on something. But at the same time it's not choking me to death. This experience will likely put me off of gum forever.
    Just do what I said.

Trust me...

I asked my mother, who is an RN.

(RN being Registered Nurse, for those who don't know.)
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 14:05
    Actually I already gave it a try, and I appreciate the advice. I'll keep trying stuff, I even had the crazy idea of swallowing another piece of gum, but then I'm almost sure I'd choke to death.
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 14:18
    Actually I already gave it a try, and I appreciate the advice. I'll keep trying stuff, I even had the crazy idea of swallowing another piece of gum, but then I'm almost sure I'd choke to death.
    You should really post this in the general forum. There are plenty of dingbats and fake M.D.'s just dying to get you to swallow a piece of broken glass or an apple seed or a money clip to try and dislodge it. If you want the best free medical advice on the web, look no further!
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:11
    I don't see how drinking would solve anything, given your confidence this gum is in the windpipe rather than the oesophagus. Past coughing, there's nothing you can do. Vomiting and heimlich manouvers should not be performed on a partial blockage. Just go see the doctor and it'll probably be quick.
  9. Standard memberGovnarSmrti
    central scrutinizer
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:15
    no, don't go to doctor! The best thing is to ask for help on chess forum. I once found mythical cure for dry gangrene just by asking on Fallout 2 forum.
  10. Joined
    17 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:36
    You should try swallowing a fly... I once knew a woman who swallowed a fly... man... with in hours of posting it in the forum.. she had a spider, a bird, a cat , a dog, two japanese fighting cocks and a monogolian mountain goat inside her... but hey...the fly had gone..
  11. Standard memberGovnarSmrti
    central scrutinizer
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:47
    Originally posted by Griddle
    You should try swallowing a fly... I once knew a woman who swallowed a fly... man... with in hours of posting it in the forum.. she had a spider, a bird, a cat , a dog, two japanese fighting cocks and a monogolian mountain goat inside her... but hey...the fly had gone..
    dad, is that you? 🙂
  12. Earth Prime
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:03
    Eat a banana. It's soft texture flows through and catches things on the way down.
  13. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 17:24
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think you're right doodinthemood, so I'll probably just go see a doctor about it.
  14. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 19:17
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think you're right doodinthemood, so I'll probably just go see a doctor about it.
    Are you dead yet?
  15. Going where needed.
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 20:24
    LMFAO. You really don't want to start asking things like that.

They can have some seeeeerious repercussions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree