Cylinder placing...

Cylinder placing...

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MT

Moves
06 Apr 03

Originally posted by randomperson
can't u just fit them into a hexagon and let them be any size?
Unlucky mate, you seem to have missed out on a brain. If they are in a hexagon, each one is NOT touching all of the others

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
06 Apr 03
1 edit

Originally posted by randomperson
can't u just fit them into a hexagon and let them be any size?
I would be surprised if this works at all... original poster says all should touch each other where in a hex center would only touch all others and each on outside would only touch 3 others..... I am no mathamatition (heck, I can't even spell it) but it sounds impossible to me.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
06 Apr 03

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I would be surprised if this works at all... original poster says all should touch each other where in a hex center would only touch all others and each on outside would only touch 3 others..... I am no mathamatition (heck, I can't even spell it) but it sounds impossible to me.
It is definitely possible. I have drawn it, built it out of cigarettes, and solved the problem.

MT

Moves
06 Apr 03

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
07 Apr 03

Phlabibit, they needn't all be placed "on a plane". Some of them can be standing up, stacked, etc.

MT

Moves
07 Apr 03

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
09 Apr 03
2 edits

Originally posted by royalchicken
Phlabibit, they needn't all be placed "on a plane". Some of them can be standing up, stacked, etc.
Yeah! I was starting to wonder that... but I can't see it... can it be done with pencils? Havn't tried but thought about it.😲

wait... update.. If it can be done with cigarettes perhaps I can try it with golf pencils.

Another update. They are not on a plane, more like a weave around a center axis.... I may need some string for this....😲

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
09 Apr 03

?😕

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
09 Apr 03

Coming up with a number more like 6.07... my last figure wouldn't reach to touch, although they did overlap.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
09 Apr 03

Coming up with a number more like 6.07... my last figure wouldn't reach to touch, although they did overlap.
Excellent work 😀! The answer is actually 7*sqrt(3)/2 =~ 6.07. Did you prove it?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
10 Apr 03

Excellent work 😀! The answer is actually 7*sqrt(3)/2 =~ 6.07. Did you prove it?
I used a CAD package to draw it out and measured the outcome (wrong) first based on the cylincers not quite reaching each other to touch at the center bottom and top planes of 3... and finally figured out I did it wrong and drew it again "more better"

Anyhow, I don't have the skill to do that with a pencil "math style". I basicly drew it and measured based on a Diameter of 1.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Apr 03

I used a CAD package to draw it out and measured the outcome (wrong) first based on the cylincers not quite reaching each other to touch at the center bottom and top planes of 3... and finally figured out I did it wrong and drew it again "more better"

Anyhow, I don't have the skill to do that with a pencil "math style". I basicly drew it and measured based on a Diameter of 1.
Good on you. The way to do it, "math style", would be to look at it in its limiting position and from there it is a matter of trigonometry. It's actually harder to prove it with 6 cylinders, where the minimum l/d=2*SQRT(3).

CAD-Very impressive 😀! I didn't see that coming.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
10 Apr 03

Good on you. The way to do it, "math style", would be to look at it in its limiting position and from there it is a matter of trigonometry. It's actually harder to prove it with 6 cylinders, where the minimum l/d=2*SQRT(3).

CAD-Very impressive 😀! I didn't see that coming.
Cool. If anyone cares to see the picture I placed it up at

http://www.riwire.com/images/cylinder1.jpg

Nothing fancy like a 3d image, but shows the one cylinder on end and the other 6 in 2 groups of 3.😵

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Apr 03

Cool. If anyone cares to see the picture I placed it up at

http://www.riwire.com/images/cylinder1.jpg

Nothing fancy like a 3d image, but shows the one cylinder on end and the other 6 in 2 groups of 3.😵
Very impressive drawing...what is "riwire"?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
10 Apr 03

Very impressive drawing...what is "riwire"?
If you don't have an antique car you probably wouldn't care. We reproduce original style cloth covered wire sets for old cars like America's Big 3 from the mid to late 1950's and older (Ford / Chevy and Chrysler) as well as Studebaker, Packard, DeSoto, REO, Willy's, Bantam, Hudson, etc.

Lucas wiring (Jaguar's / Cobras / MG / Austin Healey / Astin Martin)

We do Mercedes (although Mercedes sells everything they ever made for a car from the factory for One arm and a leg)

Cars you may not remember like Tucker, Cord, Durant, and Essex etc.

Cars you never heard of like RV Knight, Seyers Scovil, Mercer, Jordan, etc.

It's fun as heck.
😛