Why not 1.d4?

Why not 1.d4?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
19 Jan 09

It’s astounding! But at least for players below 1500, nobody on this server seems to play anything else except 1 e4. And against this, people only ever seem to play 2.c5 or 2.e5. There is very little variation of opening repertoire here.

C

Moves
19 Jan 09

Because 1.d4 is stupid.

I have a pretty good teacher and he has shown me, "1.e4, best by test"

i

Moves
19 Jan 09

i like d4 too. may players on here are going against their best interests by playing something else, but they all find it one day πŸ˜‰ theres a nice amount of safety in it.

and your teachers dead. πŸ˜‰

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
19 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by TheNewSadeian
It’s astounding! But at least for players below 1500, nobody on this server seems to play anything else except 1 e4. And against this, people only ever seem to play 2.c5 or 2.e5. There is very little variation of opening repertoire here.
I play it exclusively . Thanks to irontigron (mooky little bas%urd)

edit: I rarely see 1,d4 c5, usually people play d5 or 1...g6

against 1e4, 1...c5 has the best chance of an even game

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Jan 09

I'm just an idiot under 1500 chess player. But at least I would have known to post this thread in the Chess forum.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 09
1 edit

Learned over the years to assiduously avoid both e4 and d4. Why in the world encourage or consent to ho hum?

πŸ˜€

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Jan 09

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm just an idiot under 1500 chess player. But at least I would have known to post this thread in the Chess forum.
Good shot... πŸ˜€

rc

Moves
19 Jan 09
1 edit

people are missing the point here, for you need to know how to handle both, why? for many 1.e4 games transpose into 'similar' 1.d4 type games after the e pawn is exchanged, as in the french exchange, caro-khan, Scandinavian, all transpose into 'similar', positions to 1.d4, in my opinion therefore it is imperative that if we are going to play 1.e4 we need also to know how to handle queen pawn games aswell, for we do not know what our opponent may spring upon us!

p

Moves
19 Jan 09

You seem to like 1. e4 yourself.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
19 Jan 09

Originally posted by Carterson
Because 1.d4 is stupid.

I have a pretty good teacher and he has shown me, "1.e4, best by test"
😲

J

Moves
20 Jan 09

I've seen plenty of 1 d4.

i

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
people are missing the point here, for you need to know how to handle both, why? for many 1.e4 games transpose into 'similar' 1.d4 type games after the e pawn is exchanged, as in the french exchange, caro-khan, Scandinavian, all transpose into 'similar', positions to 1.d4, in my opinion therefore it is imperative that if we are going to play 1.e4 we ...[text shortened]... to handle queen pawn games aswell, for we do not know what our opponent may spring upon us!
for sure.. i had a nice win the other day against a high rated guy OTB in the panov botvinnik attack, that you have to work the IQP in.

M

Moves
20 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by prosoccer
You seem to like 1. e4 yourself.
Well spotted, every game as white beginning 1. e4. Mysterious...

J

Moves
20 Jan 09

I have never, ever, ever played d4 as an opening move in my whole life and I never ever ever will!!!!!!

You take the lid off a bottle befor you try to drink it...you fix your hair in the mirror befor you leave the house...you play 1.e4 as your first move as white...theirs just habits that seem impossible to break!

rc

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by irontigran
for sure.. i had a nice win the other day against a high rated guy OTB in the panov botvinnik attack, that you have to work the IQP in.
yes, after the pawn exchange and white plays c4, its almost resembles a kind of queens gambit type position, no doubt it was a sweet win for you irontigran my friend!