Who was he?

Who was he?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Sep 08

There was a high rated (IM or something) player who had to ask about the rules concerning castling.
Does anyone know who he was?
Can anyone fill in what actually happened?

h

Moves
19 Sep 08

During the match between Karpov and Korchnoi, an amusing incident occurred. In the 21st game, Korchnoi played a strong opening novelty and, after a terrible blunder by Karpov, had achieved an overwhelming position. During this game, Korchnoi got up from the board, walked over to the arbiter and asked whether he could legally castle king-side in the current position, in which a bishop was attacking his rook on h1. The arbiter, Salo Flohr, informed him that he could. Korchnoi did so, and Karpov soon resigned.

Copy & paste from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Korchnoi

FL

Moves
19 Sep 08
1 edit

I'd never heard of that Korchnoi one before, but the incident involving Averbakh is famous:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling#Notable_castlings

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Sep 08

What's OTB?

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
19 Sep 08

In 1972 the rules for castling were changed. A requirement was added that the King and Rook must be on the same RANK. It would seem the requirement that neither King nor the Rook involved has moved would ensure they were on the same rank (original squares). Why was this change necessary? Let people think about it and I'll post the answer later today.

STS

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by MontyMoose
In 1972 the rules for castling were changed. A requirement was added that the King and Rook must be on the same RANK. It would seem the requirement that neither King nor the Rook involved has moved would ensure they were on the same rank (original squares). Why was this change necessary? Let people think about it and I'll post the answer later today.
Tim Krabbé composed a joke chess problem containing vertical castling (king on e1, promoted rook on e8). The loophole in the definition of castling upon which this problem was based was removed by the new requirement that the castling rook must occupy the same rank as the king.

F

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by Palynka
What's OTB?
OTB - over the board. Not on internet.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
OTB - over the board. Not on internet.
It was a joke about a relatively high rated player on RHP who once asked that question.

Edit - Sorry for being off-topic.

e4

Moves
19 Sep 08

It was a joke about a relatively high rated player on RHP who once asked that question.

Edit - Sorry for being off-topic.
I thought it was.

Perhaps we should start using NOTI.

"I played this game NOTI and this happened..."

Not On The Internet.

or 'NHBOAS'

Not Here But On Another Site.

or, if you want to, you can call someone a CHEAT.

Creates
Humerous
Empty
Attacking
Threats

h

Moves
19 Sep 08

What's OTB?
I've seen that "What's OTB" reference a few times here, but am not sure where it refers to, neither what is so strange about asking it. "OTB" is definitely not a regular abbreviation, and if it was, only in English - I wouldn't know a Dutch or for that purpose German, Italian or French term for it.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by heinzkat
I've seen that "What's OTB" reference a few times here, but am not sure where it refers to, neither what is so strange about asking it. "OTB" is definitely not a regular abbreviation, and if it was, only in English - I wouldn't know a Dutch or for that purpose German, Italian or French term for it.
It's a very common abbreviation, as far as I understand it (althought I'm not an English speaker). The concept of over-the-board is present even from the preface of the FIDE rules of chess.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

FIDE Laws of Chess

The FIDE Laws of Chess cover over-the-board play.

(...)

h

Moves
19 Sep 08

Yes, but never it is referred to as "OTB". I've just searched the Dutch translation of the FIDE rules and it is called, translated, "board chess".

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by heinzkat
Yes, but never it is referred to as "OTB". I've just searched the Dutch translation of the FIDE rules and it is called, translated, "board chess".
So you're just saying he's too stupid to figure it out? There was a thread here were people were just communicating with non-standard acronyms. It isn't that hard.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
19 Sep 08

So you're just saying he's too stupid to figure it out? There was a thread here were people were just communicating with non-standard acronyms. It isn't that hard.
then again, it wouldn't be the first time the person in question pretended to 'not understand' something just to create noise... in fact, most of his posts seem to be like that.

d

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I'd never heard of that Korchnoi one before, but the incident involving Averbakh is famous:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling#Notable_castlings
wow, that was so weird! I was surprised when learning the exact same rule here in the forums a couple of months ago, and I had felt like a complete patzer, was ashamed of not knowing the rule.