When your Queen is lost...

When your Queen is lost...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EH

Moves
31 May 08

I've had many opponents who have resigned after an error that resulted in the loss of their Queen. But when I make this mistake and lose mine, I have had a few games where I've played on and managed not only to capture my opponent's Queen, but also to manage checkmate.

What do you guys think? Lose your Queen and resign? Or not?

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
31 May 08

Nope. Never resign. It's in my profile for all to read. No disrespect intended, but I play my clan games to the bitter end. I'll keep moving promptly, but I reserve the right to ask you to demonstrate the win. Of course other at RHP may have a different opnion! 😛😛😛

MS

Under Cover

Moves
31 May 08

If I have confidence in my opponent's ability then I resign positions that are clearly lost. Playing them is simply depressing. That being said, I have been able to get back into games when down a full piece, and have blown games that I was winning due to carelessness. I guess it comes down to your personal preference, but like I said, I don't like to log on and look at a screen full of pending losses. I prefer to resign and move on to something more productive.

p

Moves
31 May 08

I think it is personal preference, but for me, it depends on the resulting position. It's too general to say that I would resign if I lost my queen. I would try to evaluate the resulting position and see if I still have some play or possible threats, even though I am down heavy material. I would also look for a plan to draw, or perpetual check or something. If I see right away that the position is hopeless or my remaining pieces are very inactive I would probably resign because there is no use wasting time beating a dead horse when I can spend it playing another game or analysing what I did wrong in that game. Now if I do think I can find some counterplay or perhaps try for a draw, I will play on until the end or one of the above resigning condition have been met.

It really all depends on the situation. I think you begin to "feel" when a position is totally hopeless or if you have some play left. If you are unsure it's probably better to play on. You will then be able to learn when you wasted time by playing on or where your "resign" point is. Never forget the possibility of a draw as well. I love being able to force a draw in losing positions, it's a moral victory in itself.

p

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Nope. Never resign. It's in my profile for all to read. No disrespect intended, but I play my clan games to the bitter end. I'll keep moving promptly, but I reserve the right to ask you to demonstrate the win. Of course other at RHP may have a different opnion! 😛😛😛
There is nothing wrong with this either, IMO, especially if you get into a "theoretically" lost position because your opponent might not know the theory or the winning line. Examples like the Lucena or Philador positions or endgame positions that you may know are theoretically drawn or won. If you are on the losing end it would still be best to play it out in case your opponent doesn't know and could possibly blunder.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by passedpawn22
I think it is personal preference, but for me, it depends on the resulting position. It's too general to say that I would resign if I lost my queen. I would try to evaluate the resulting position and see if I still have some play or possible threats, even though I am down heavy material. I would also look for a plan to draw, or perpetual check or something.
Well put. Thank you. Rec'd.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
31 May 08

I personally have a tendency to finish games I play in person (OTB) more often than those I play on this website. The immediate pressure to convert an advantage into a win is actually a factor in OTB, while in correspondence chess the winning side can take his time and have a fresh look each turn.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
31 May 08
1 edit

here's an Old game of mine. I think I was probably around 1550 and my opponent 1300 at the time. so pay no attention to some very silly moves on both sides. 🙂

Game 1829253

the reason I posted this, is the very end. I'm dropping a queen, which I really just missed. but at the same time, taking that queen loses my opponent's last counterplay, so instead of taking the queen he resigned. me dropping the queen was the last nail in his coffin.

and here's the game which taught me never to resign just because you drop a queen. sevenstar was rated 300-400 pts higher than me as I remember, so after I realized the only defense is to give up the queen, my knee-jerk reaction was to resign. but after resignation I realized the game was far from resignable, and although I'd probably lose, there still was loads of play left.

Game 1820133

here I miscalculate a mating attack, and end up simply dropping my queen. but instead of knee-jerk resignation, there's a perpetual.

Game 3962792

so the moral of the story is: the amount of material left on the board is irrelevant. the only thing that counts, is: do you have counterplay left?

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
I've had many opponents who have resigned after an error that resulted in the loss of their Queen. But when I make this mistake and lose mine, I have had a few games where I've played on and managed not only to capture my opponent's Queen, but also to manage checkmate.

What do you guys think? Lose your Queen and resign? Or not?
Quitting after losing a piece, that's just so dull.

And when i lose my queen in an OTB game i sing her a song. 😉

No but really, anyone who quits after losing a queen, depending on the position is not a real chess player, doesn't have that basic level of respect and intelligence necessary to even become a remotely average chess player. But i'm sure that many here can and will argue that anyone who blunders away a queen or even a rook, or doesn't know how to sacrifice the exchange, is not a real chess player anyhow.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by MontyMoose
That's how i was taught.

d

Moves
31 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by eldragonfly
No but really, anyone who quits after losing a queen, depending on the position is not a real chess player, doesn't have that basic level of respect and intelligence necessary to even become a remotely average chess player.
wow that's harsh. and I think it's complete nonsense. I think just the opposite. if you lose a queen plain and simple, with no chance of counter play or perpetual, it's completely disrespectful not to resign. (above some level of course, which is not at all very high by the way. like 1300 or so).

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
31 May 08

No but really, anyone who quits after losing a queen, depending on the position is not a real chess player, doesn't have that basic level of respect and intelligence necessary to even become a remotely average chess player. But i'm sur ...[text shortened]... en a rook, or doesn't know how to sacrifice the exchange, is not a real chess player anyhow.
Capablanca must be chicken.

[Event "Hamburg Simul"]
[Site "Hamburg, Germany"]
[Date "1911.??.??"]
[EventDate "?"]
[Round "?"]
[Result "1-0"]
[White "Kluxen"]
[Black "Jose Raul Capablanca"]
[ECO "C54"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[BlackElo "?"]
[PlyCount "39"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.c3 Nf6 5.d4 exd4 6.cxd4 Bb4+
7.Bd2 Bxd2+ 8.Nbxd2 d5 9.exd5 Nxd5 10.O-O O-O 11.Ne5 Nxd4
12.Nb3 Nxb3 13.Bxd5 Nxa1 14.Bxf7+ Kh8 15.Qh5 Bf5 16.Qxf5 Qf6
17.Ng6+ Qxg6 18.Bxg6 Rxf5 19.Bxf5 g6 20.Be4 1-0

Botvinnik's also a pussy. He's just a piece for a pawn down here. Why does he give up?

[Event "Odessa ch-SU"]
[Site "Odessa ch-SU"]
[Date "1929.??.??"]
[EventDate "?"]
[Round "?"]
[Result "1-0"]
[White "Ilia Abramovich Kan"]
[Black "Mikhail Botvinnik"]
[ECO "C51"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[BlackElo "?"]
[PlyCount "37"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.b4 Bb6 5.a4 a6 6.Nc3 Nf6 7.Nd5
Nxe4 8.O-O O-O 9.d3 Nf6 10.Bg5 d6 11.Nd2 Bg4 12.Bxf6 Qc8
13.Nxb6 cxb6 14.f3 Be6 15.Bh4 Nxb4 16.Be7 Qc5+ 17.Kh1 Rfe8
18.Ne4 Qc6 19.Bxd6 1-0

Eh, those GMs, what do they know when to give up...?

MR

Moves
31 May 08

No but really, anyone who quits after losing a queen, depending on the position is not a real chess player, doesn't have that basic level of respect and intelligence necessary to even become a remotely average chess player. But i'm sur ...[text shortened]... en a rook, or doesn't know how to sacrifice the exchange, is not a real chess player anyhow.
The first video clip from the top of the page:

http://www.chessvibes.com/tournaments/baku-fide-grand-prix-r11-wang-yue-joins-grischuk-again/

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
wow that's harsh. and I think it's complete nonsense. I think just the opposite. if you lose a queen plain and simple, with no chance of counter play or perpetual, it's completely disrespectful not to resign. (above some level of course, which is not at all very high by the way. like 1300 or so).
No it's true, people lose queens all the time in blitz, the outcome being very unclear.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
31 May 08

Originally posted by kbaumen
Eh, those GMs, what do they know when to give up...?
Precisely. Of course i was talking about world-class grandmasters and not your average-ish chess players. Thanks for setting the record straight. 🙄