What is 'a sharp line'?

What is 'a sharp line'?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
YNWA

Moves
11 Mar 06

Hello 🙄

Looking through a few books I keep seeing the phrase 'sharp lines' mentioned (in relation to chess), but I've never really seen a good explanation for the use of this term. I wonder if someone might be kind enough to perhaps show me (and us thickies) how a 'sharp line' might develop from an opening, why it is sharp, and possibly how to make us of it? Not too much to ask is it 🙄?

many thanks in advance 🙂

T

Moves
11 Mar 06

A sharp line basically means very tactical and very complicated. Occaisonally with no clear way through or the advantage quickly shifting from one player to another.

Examples of a sharp line could be:

From's Gambit - Lasker variation
Sicilian Najdorf- Poison pawn variation
French Winawer with Qg4

On the flip side you can have opening where there is often a commonly accepted sequence of moves leading to equality/slight inferiority.

Examples include:

French Classical or exchange
Queens Gambit declined - orthodox variation

Hope that helps.

T

Somewhere out there!

Moves
11 Mar 06

I think a sharp line is a serie of moves that has to be played in that particular order. The player that deviates from it will lose immediately.

g

Moves
11 Mar 06

Sharp-Bold.aggressive moves or positions. A sharp player who revels in dynamic. tactical situations. Term from www.angelfire.comSBChess/glossery.

SS

Moves
11 Mar 06

T

Moves
11 Mar 06

I would probably called that a forced line.

It can occur in some extremely simple positions eg. K+P vs K

J

Irrational Places

Moves
11 Mar 06

F

Scotton Lincolnshire

Moves
11 Mar 06

It looks like a genuine question to me. Where's the mockery?

GP

Moves
12 Mar 06

A sharp line is one which requires perfect play by the opponent in order to not fall into any traps, pitfalls, or swindles.

J

Irrational Places

Moves
12 Mar 06

SS

Moves
12 Mar 06

T

Somewhere out there!

Moves
12 Mar 06

Originally posted by General Putzer
A sharp line is one which requires perfect play by the opponent in order to not fall into any traps, pitfalls, or swindles.
that is what I meant, with one exeption. I think it doen't just require perfect play from the opponent, but also from yourself in most cases.