Was Alekhine an anti-semite?

Was Alekhine an anti-semite?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by chessisvanity
Alekhine is a God.
No one is or ever has been a god.

SS

Moves
28 Jul 07

P

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
I've never read any accounts of him mistreating Jews in person, which would suggest that his WWII writings were under some sort of duress. Not apologizing for him, but I'm just not willing to judge someone in a situation in which I'll probably never face. Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever read any of his articles.
Hitler never mistreated any Jews in person either. That doesn't imply duress at all.

However, I agree that we can benefit from what he did do for chess without condoning any anti-semitic sentiments he may or may not have had just as you can enjoy Wagner's music without condoning his.

P

Moves
28 Jul 07
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
What god?

..but that's a topic for spirituality 😉

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
No one is or ever has been a god.
George Burns was God.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Come on, he married several rich old (VERY old) women. If there was a romantic interest, it was pretty twisted. Money was the common denominator in each marriage.
Have you ever heard about Edip complex?

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by Korch
Have you ever heard about Edip complex?
Yes, but per the line from Harold and Maude

Psychologist: Harold, we know that men want to sleep with their mothers. But what confuses me is that you want to sleep with your grandmother!