Timing out of 122 games

Timing out of 122 games

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
12 Feb 10

Originally posted by joesheppe
Most of us play for points. Figure it out. Is that a dunce cap you're wearing in the photo?
I play for enjoyment.

Couldn't give a rats arse about rating points, they mean nothing.

So what if he timed out playing 122 games? Click the skull and move on.

I still fail to see what the big deal is.

a

Moves
12 Feb 10

Most of us play for points. Figure it out. Is that a dunce cap you're wearing in the photo?
You get the same points for a time-out win as you do for a game that you win by checkmate.

a

Moves
12 Feb 10

Did you read the title, Proper Knob?

This deadbeat dude is right now timing out of a whole bunch of games. Why? If you leave all your moves until the last few hours they're due, then if you get sick or have to attend to something or just have a snit, your games time-out like dominoes.

Is that against the rules? No! But it would piss you off if you s ...[text shortened]... load of games and likes to make people wait! Try imagining yourself on the other side of that.
I presently have a game in progress that has been going on for almost exactly a year, and we are still only on move 42. I tend to ignore that particular game until my opponent eventually moves, so it has ceased to bother me, but I will avoid tournaments with this time format in future.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Feb 10

Most of us play for points.

That's an interesting stat - I don't remmember being polled.

(btw I play for fun: points are only there so as I am evenly matched in games)

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Feb 10

Joe, why are you playing games with a 7 days per move time control if you're that impatient for the opponent to move? 🙄

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
12 Feb 10

It was a tourney with other reasons to join, but I don't have a problem with that timing. I guess I have to explain it: Think on this: If indeed you care about making your way up the ladder so that you can see better competition, then you enter progressively tourneys as your rating moves upward with wins (and some draws).

Now, let's say you start out playing a guy with a rating close to yours in a typically timed (say 3 & 7) tournament. He's playing 100+ opponents with mediocre results because he's not giving each move enough time. You know this because he mostly does not blunder, but every now and again he does something that you shake your head at. Also, he waits until the last few hours of time control before he plays the next move, and he does this in every single game.

What happens if he gets sick, or goes away for two days, or has a little snit over something, and doesn't get to any boards for a day or two? Well, many, many boards start timing out - undoing all kinds of games that folks put hours into playing (why? because they enjoyed those games and maybe even hoped to do well and eventually move up). The idiot's rating starts dropping like a stone through air. You get maybe two points out of your stupid timed-out win, and the dissatisfaction of knowing that you never finished the game, and will never know the possible outcome.

What a blast, huh? Multiply that 100s of times. Do you finally see what I mean? If you don't, you're just thick. Period.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Feb 10

It was a tourney with other reasons to join, but I don't have a problem with that timing. I guess I have to explain it: Think on this: If indeed you care about making your way up the ladder so that you can see better competition, then you enter progressively tourneys as your rating moves upward with wins (and some draws).

Now, let's say you start out ...[text shortened]... 100s of times. Do you finally see what I mean? If you don't, you're just thick. Period.
Yes, it is frustrating when someone tanks their rating right before you beat them. I and others in the past have proposed that RHP adopt rating floors, like the USCF has, to limit this.

The reason you made a bad impression in this thread is that you did not give the real reason you were upset until just now. The previous posts were just a failure to write clearly on your part. Blaming the audience for your shortcomings didn't help either.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
12 Feb 10

SwissGambit, I thought my motive was clear at the outset. At least it seemed so to me. But you maybe you're right that my writing was not clear enough.

I appreciate your answer.

I got angry because of answers like: "I don't give a rat's arse about..." That's either total denial or trash talk. And I came back with my own.
Like the guy doesn't care about whether he wins or loses or makes a good move or drops a big stinky bomb? Right.

This game is beautiful, and the more you know, the better you play, and the more beautiful the game appears. Many people understand that. The statement quoted above is just blatant trash talk.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
16 Feb 10

A friend of mine said that letting this happen is "arrogant." Either that or stupid. Because when you wait till the last minute to make all your moves, all the games are hanging by a thin thread. If you get sick or have to go out of town for a week, the wave comes through and the castle crumbles. Sure, all 122 opponents pick up easy points, with some getting just two or three, but all the games are ruined.
And by the way, this "I crack skulls" crap is just testosterone-based bs. Does that make one a stronger player? Ahhhh, no.

I believe the blokes in charge of this site ought to do something about this Wiabj stunt to prevent it from happening in the future. Add a rule, if possible. I'm still not happy about this. And neither should anyone else be.

e4

Moves
16 Feb 10

You just gotta calm down. Go with the flow.
This grading fixation will make you ill.

Don't single out Wiabj. We do not know his circumstances.

The guy I'm playing anuman34 has timed out 320 times, Wiabj a mere 44.
Even you have timed out 4 times. (to save you looking....... me none 😏).

So deep breaths, head up and look on the bright and cheerful side.

Wiabj could have resigned all his games except yours. So then suddenly
you are playing a 1900+ player who has a 1300 grade.
Think of the points you would drop if you lose or even draw the game.

Click the skull and move on, take the 1 grading point and be thankful
you are not in danger of losing 20-30 pts.

So what if all you pick up is 1 point. Rejoice in your 1 point gained.

You don't hear Billy Dean complaining.

Who he?

Billy Dean User 413526 has a grade off 2050 by playing low rated players
going up 1 or 2 pts at a time. Nothing wrong in that. He is happy.

Of course he can drop a bucket load of points if he screws up.

Witness this,

Game 6211101 He is White and has a mate in 2.

He played 21.Rg7+?? Kxg7 and lost.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
17 Feb 10

Greenpawn, either you are looking through dirty glass to see my games or you have been drinking. I've only timed out once, and Wiabj was dead lost and about to be mated in a few moves in the game he just timed out to me.

But much more importantly, I'm not just thinking about myself, I'm talking about the unfortunate impact of Wiabj's strange way of playing on 122 different players!

Can't you get that?

e4

Moves
17 Feb 10
1 edit

Hi Jo.

copied from your profile:

Losses by timeout 4 (11.76% )

Let it go. Relax.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
17 Feb 10

You proved one of your points. Please tell me if you understand mine. Thx.

rc

Moves
17 Feb 10

You proved one of your points. Please tell me if you understand mine. Thx.
what can we say Jojo, its just a circumstance, i won a game against the player when he was rated 1800 and i a measly 1500, its swings and roundabouts.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
17 Feb 10

"Swings and circumstances"? I've never heard the term before, but I like it.
And alright, if no one else cares, then I'll try not to either. Not that I'm looking forward to seeing future skulls, mind you. 😀