Time to change the rules?

Time to change the rules?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
28 Jul 10

Originally posted by Andrelious
After all, war is not turn based (though it would explain the US army's failures in Iraq)
Chess is not like war. It may have been inspired by war when it was created, but the strategy is often radically different.

For example, this:

This is a victory for white; the pawn will queen. In a war, this result would be disastrous for both sides; both armies have been nearly completely lost.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
28 Jul 10

Originally posted by Andrelious
I notice a number of posters have correctly pointed out about the turn based nature of chess, so how about allowing a mated player one move to respond to the mate to allow mutual checkmate and thus draw. I also, as someone suggested, think the rules should be changed to require the capture of the king, although this would change little in reality as one w ...[text shortened]... Kxe7; 2 Bxe7 Qxe1 ½-½ [fen]rnb1k2r/ppppQppp/5n1b/q7/1B1P4/8/PPP1PPPP/RN2K1NR w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]
This would so radically alter the game that it wouldn't be chess anymore.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Anti-rec.

GP is right to call it 'blasphemy'.

This would not be chess, but some bizarre variant game masquerading as chess.

e4

Moves
29 Jul 10

Andrelious you are a bad bad boy.

Howeveer SG is correct you can perhaps invent a variant of the game
based on this idea.

There are sites dedicated to variants so hit there and see if your idea
will hold water.

I've played rifle chess, give-away chess (I'm good at that) and Alice in
Wonderland chess a few times

But the Royal Game is is the only perfect game.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Aug 10

Originally posted by gorookyourself
I'm just saying that would be the only change I could tolerate in Chess. Anything more extreme than that and I would quit and focus on Backgammon. Which surprisingly has very large tournaments and payouts.
I agree. Backgammon is a most excellent game and is quite suited to those cold winter nights by the fire with a bottle of Chianti.

Moves
01 Aug 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Andrelious you are a bad bad boy.

Howeveer SG is correct you can perhaps invent a variant of the game
based on this idea.

There are sites dedicated to variants so hit there and see if your idea
will hold water.

I've played rifle chess, give-away chess (I'm good at that) and Alice in
Wonderland chess a few times

But the Royal Game is is the only perfect game.
Do you have a link to a variants site? Is there a cylindrical version of chess? My brother and I tried that a couple of times, when kids. As an example of the possible moves, after g3 the KB can move to f1-a4, or f1-b5, etc. We didn't go to the trouble to see if it is a flawed idea.