Thinking of joining ICC

Thinking of joining ICC

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by heinzkat
Another thing, always when you play a game, the game comments are shown in the language of the other user. So a draw offer is denoted as "nulle" or "remis" or whatever and time as temps turkye hebrew signs and Russian letters and all that stuff like claiming win on disconnect. Can't they just get it right?

'[hidden]this must qualify for one of my worst RHP posts ever[/hidden]
I like that feature.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Rec'd.
You've misspelled wrecked.

h

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I like that feature.
Even if it leads to confusion? Sometimes I think an opponent is sending me a package of nasty stuff, but it turns out to be an "applause"...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 10

Even if it leads to confusion? Sometimes I think an opponent is sending me a package of nasty stuff, but it turns out to be an "applause"...
langue ist confushun sum thymes

C

Moves
10 Jan 10

Let me see a screenshot of this "package". I assume you have not been toking or anything like that?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Feb 10

Originally posted by Yuga
Chesscube is free and has a nice interface, very little lag
I just now tried to make a new account on chesscube just to check them out and got an error message 'this service is no longer available', not a good sign. Scratch another site.

A

Moves
02 Feb 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
I just now tried to make a new account on chesscube just to check them out and got an error message 'this service is no longer available', not a good sign. Scratch another site.
Just went there and the cube's working fine.Currently 2600 players online with 721 games ongoing.

h

Moves
02 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Ajuin
Just went there and the cube's working fine.Currently 2600 players online with 721 games ongoing.
It won't let me log in either 😠

Already a member? Login

* Invalid username and/or password

edit: that was due to stupidity, my username isn't heinzkat there 😛😛

g

Moves
25 Feb 10

I remembered that there was a chess online playing site called World Chess Network(WCN) earlier. It was supposed to be a competitor to icc. What happened to this site ?

A

Moves
25 Feb 10

Originally posted by gordias
I remembered that there was a chess online playing site called World Chess Network(WCN) earlier. It was supposed to be a competitor to icc. What happened to this site ?
Assimilated into the ICC collective.

Resistance is futile!

P

Moves
27 Feb 10

ICC is too expensive.

m

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by Poverty
ICC is too expensive.
Your username + corresponding comment cracked me up

c

USA

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by clandarkfire
No, ICC has lots of weakish players. Personally, I think it's a great site, and I would definatly recommend it. You will also find that all the videos that are released each week are well worth the membership.
90% of my ICC use is for the videos. If ICC charged 10 or 20 dollars a month just for videos, I would not think that unreasonable. Combine that with chances for instruction by strong players, a playing server, and a 100 game library, and it's easy to see that ICC is well worth the money many times over.

p

Moves
02 Mar 10
1 edit

Almost started a new thread ...

Thinking of renewing ICC

I have 6 days to decide. 🙁

The videos are nice, but I have learned more from going through them myself. In fact, I messaged one of the GM's on Chorus because he had a 5 move analysis, and the last move was a blunder (Qe2, instead of the two correct queen moves that won). I got no reply whatsoever.

The best feature about ICC is the competition. I've only met 3 or 4 players over 2300 at FICS. At ICC, there is a huge group of very strong players. Also, there are considerably less engine users at ICC. I have only run into 3 users in 6 months, as opposed to 1-3 a day at FICS.

The 1, 5, and 15 feature is also nice. They pair you as they would a regular tournament (cant hand pick opponent or pick on a little guy until you take all his points).

I haven't had a chance yet, but I also see that they have some nice tournaments (including extension tournaments). That's a little scary though because I caught a cheat from casually looking at his games from one of those tournaments.

All in all, I do think it's worth the money (6 months $40/ slightly over 25 cents a day).

The problem is that I haven't been playing very much, preferring study to play.
I'd say it's rates about like this site. It's very nice, and you should probably just pay the money if you can afford it.

w

Moves
02 Mar 10

I joined ICC last month and love it. I play in FICS every now and then as well. I seem to do better at FICS in terms of wins. It may just be coincidence or simply that the ICC has tougher players on average.
Love the videos.
I'm not too bothered about the GM thing simply because my level is so far below theirs I don't stand to learn as much as I would say from a strong club player. GM brains just blast my tiny mind out of the water really.