Thinking of joining ICC

Thinking of joining ICC

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by heinzkat
Still it's better than playchess 😛
How? Its just a java applet and you can't even select your opponents according to rating. Get FICS(free) if you cannot get Playchess or ICC.

h

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

The crappiest chess interface ever, its popularity is unexplainable

C

Moves
08 Jan 10

There is no explanation unless you are a masochist. You don't appreciate sheer class. 😀

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
08 Jan 10

Chesscube is free and has a nice interface, very little lag

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
08 Jan 10

I have played on most of the blitz sites available, and at the moment chesscube is my favourite - although I have recently started work on a new playchess account and found that to be quite a respectable server- plus it has lots of additional features like simuls, tournaments and lectures to keep things interesting.
A good thing about FICS is that almost every player on their is fairly strong, so it is the best one if you want some serious practise.
Yahoo is only good if you live in america - and also dont forget to bring a good engine along with you, since most of their players cheat.
ICC is nice but for all that money it is possible to join a couple of other chess sites as a premium member and, really, although you do get the opportunity to play against grand masters they tend not to want to play against lower opposition anyway and also I dont really need to play a grand master to get a good thrashing - a fide master can do that job most of the time.

B
King-Flicker

Leeds, UK.

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by CCNoob
It does not come anywhere near FICS/ICC or Playchess. I would rank it along Yahoo or Pogo or those places for complete noobs.
Yeah I have to say with no rating system and only direct challenges (no tourneys etc) the RHP blitz leaves a lot to be desired - then again I understand its only in the experimental stage.

e4

Moves
08 Jan 10

Why not use the RHP blitz?
Rec'd.

h

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Rec'd.
Yeah, and with myself popping up every now and then, there's opposition enough for anyone 😉

e4

Moves
08 Jan 10

Yeah, and with myself popping up every now and then, there's opposition enough for anyone 😉
Rec'd.

r

Moves
08 Jan 10

Thanks for the replies, all!

I went and got the 7 day free trial and it's pretty impressive so far. It was tres cool finding out I could watch Nakamura play blitz in real time (took me a while to figure out his handle).

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Jan 10

Function or form?

I strongly disagree either way. The Fritz GUI looks nicer and functions better than any other chess interface that I've used (and you'll have a tough time naming one that I have not tried).

h

Moves
08 Jan 10

There's so many things not working properly there, but I guess this is not the right place to complain 😛

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Jan 10

There's so many things not working properly there, but I guess this is not the right place to complain 😛
I've had problems so rarely that I can count them on one hand. OTOH, I've played only a few thousand games since 2003 when I started there.

e4

Moves
08 Jan 10

Rec'd

h

Moves
09 Jan 10

Rec not showing up. Anyway I'll give a few to please you

1) The main playing hall players list is so long, that often it fails to update the players list completely (and I assume it lurks a lot of bandwidth)
2) Often your opponent's rating won't show up, even when trying to view his "rating picture"
3) When making castling move Ke8-g8, you risk playing Rf8 instead (that's the worst of them all). You also risk playing Kf8, but those cases are more due to myself. The Rf8 occurrences are really nonsense, as the mouse cursor hasn't even been above h8. (I encounter many opponents playing nonsensical Rf8s too)
4) In general the move input is crappy, if you click on b6 and then select a piece, it will move that piece to b6, there's no way of seeing nor cancelling the b6 click.
4) Some squares light up (yellow-ish) for no apparent reason when selecting a piece at random places
5) Some squares show some sort of black "O" when selecting a piece
6) The movement of the pieces stutters a lot
7) To cancel premoves you need to right-click, but this also brings with it the risk that the board is flipped
8) Wins/losses in time situations are often completely decided by the interface, not by the users (I have won and lost so many times on time just due to how the thing fails to work properly)
9) In general, the interface screws you, and in the meantime you have an opponent to take care of.
10) And the worst... Korch plays there.

But hey, the best part is, all this nonsense cannot be found on the RHP Blitz!!