the recent discussion of how to change classical chess

the recent discussion of how to change classical chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
27 Jun 19

@patzering said
Definitely an option 🤔
Getting rid of castling would keep the king's in the center and lead to quick attacks.
You could still remove en passant and keep the pawns ability to move two squares at the start.
Allowing the pawn to move two squares at the start without a capture option in passing would allow the weaker (or simply less aggressive) player to lock the game up with pawn moves much easier. A player who needed to win in the last round would have a very hard time against someone set on a draw- far harder than the current rules.

It would be really hard to open lines if the other player wanted to prevent it, which is why the rule was added to balance the scales.

is getting old...

Moves
27 Jun 19

Ohhhh well that explains it better.
I dispise blocked positions.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Jun 19

@patzering said
Definitely an option 🤔
Getting rid of castling would keep the king's in the center and lead to quick attacks.
You could still remove en passant and keep the pawns ability to move two squares at the start.
Why not let the pawns move backwards, they're not allowed to retreat, poor things.

is getting old...

Moves
27 Jun 19

That's crazy talk 😐

mafia chief

the safe house

Moves
27 Jun 19
1 edit

you want crazy talk ?

i will give you crazy talk !

pawns on the sixth rank and above may take sideways !

is getting old...

Moves
27 Jun 19

😲

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
30 Jun 19

@mister-moggy said
if i were to make an amendment to classical chess as a fide change
and not just as another variant i would go back a few centuries and
alter the reach of the bishops to the indian version where the bishop
( elephants for them ) could only move diagonally two spaces beyond their own square.
The only thing I would change is blitz. This form of chess is perfect for those with short attention spans. I know it's fun and I used to play it a lot when I was younger, but there are some very good reasons many top players discourage it. To name a few:

1. It overemphasis time

2. Encourages superficial play

3. Fosters unsound risk taking

4. Reinforces bad habits

(See link below)

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy, but think Botvinnik's boring, but solid brand of chess will always be the best.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/pandolfinis-mailbag-speed-chess----the-bad