Slow Players

Slow Players

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
02 Sep 07

I know sometimes people have genuine reasons for moving slowly as not everyone can be hooked to the internet at all times.
However, there are some who stretch my patience too, moving so painfully slowly in the hope that they will see the next ice age before their game finishes.

So this is my question to you- the people of red hot pawn- what is the slowest game you have ever seen played?

SS

Moves
02 Sep 07

d

Moves
03 Sep 07

You can start another game while the slow one is in progress.

SS

Moves
03 Sep 07

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Sep 07
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I just love it when fast players slow to a crawl. it tells me I've got them by the balls, and they're wrecking their brain to get out of the trouble. or even better, they feel the position is so disturbing they're reluctant to even look at the game until they're low on time, which means I've broken their spirit.

steady slow players are different though, they just have some diciplined system to work their way through the games slowly, often even when they're winning.

the slowest games I've followed were the akizy vs. weyerstrass games. they moved very slow even during the first opening moves.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
03 Sep 07

I dont mind it if people wait ages in lost games, it is quite a comforting feeling to know you have a win in the bag even if you are going to have to wait a while to get it.
The sort I am talking about is where neither side has got any real advantage but they still play really really slow.

Moves
03 Sep 07

If you don't like waiting, don't play those time controls.

Whining does no good.

h

Moves
03 Sep 07

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
I know sometimes people have genuine reasons for moving slowly as not everyone can be hooked to the internet at all times.
However, there are some who stretch my patience too, moving so painfully slowly in the hope that they will see the next ice age before their game finishes.

So this is my question to you- the people of red hot pawn- what is the slowest game you have ever seen played?
This question is often asked by those who think that because their opponent blundered, they should resign or hurry up and lose. Just play the game out given the agreed time. You might even learn something as it plays out. If I'm down I'll slow some and think the position over. Now and then your opponent will blunder also and make the game win able.

d

Moves
03 Sep 07

Originally posted by hamltnblue
This question is often asked by those who think that because their opponent blundered, they should resign or hurry up and lose. Just play the game out given the agreed time. You might even learn something as it plays out. If I'm down I'll slow some and think the position over. Now and then your opponent will blunder also and make the game win able.
excellent advice. we(humans) only have x amount of energy..why expend it worrying about things noy in our control which only aids the enemy--our opponent?

London

Moves
03 Sep 07

In these situations especially when there are several winning continuations I enjoy taking some time to calculate the fastest way to mate.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
03 Sep 07

Why is it that when I write something, people dont see what I am saying but what they want to hear me saying.

I was most interested in finding out what the slowest game ever played was?

MR

Moves
03 Sep 07

Why is it that when I write something, people dont see what I am saying but what they want to hear me saying.

For the most part, I enjoy the RHP Only Chess forum, but I've also noticed that many people here have a very hard time staying on topic. Which reminds me of a funny story that happened to me a while back. I was playing this guy otb, and..... Oh, wait, what was your question again?

ob

Moves
03 Sep 07

Game 3903632

So far I've only seen my own games and they're not many.But at least I'm on topic 😀

e1

Moves
03 Sep 07

Perhaps playing slow might be part of the grand plan to induce stress in an impatient opponent and have him(or her) tearing out their hair in frustration, hopefully resulting in a bad move or two. But to keep on topic, I don't make a habit of logging my slowest games, it becomes boring.🙂

h

Moves
03 Sep 07

That would be a hard one to answer, since in true correspondence chess postcards are used with snail mail, which overseas in the past could take 2 weeks in one direction. I'm sure the answer is at least a couple of years, especially if the win took 50+ moves.