Queen’s Gambit — Revisited

Queen’s Gambit — Revisited

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
30 Apr 21

@liljo said
You bet! I cover a lot of ground on a motorcycle. The Devil's Tower kind of reminds me of the biggest rook in the world! If you've ever been, you are probably familiar with the Kiowa and Sioux legends. A few years ago I made a lap from my home that covered almost 4000 miles...in SIX DAYS! That was one of my brief stops.
Yes, it's kind of in my neighborhood. Within a couple of hundred miles anyway. I did finally stop and looked it over up close a few years ago on the way to Deadwood. Up close it is very impressive!

Moves
30 Apr 21

@mwmiller said
Yes, it's kind of in my neighborhood. Within a couple of hundred miles anyway. I did finally stop and looked it over up close a few years ago on the way to Deadwood. Up close it is very impressive!
You are very fortunate to live in that part of the world. And Deadwood...Man, I had a blast there! SO much history. The Black Hills provide some of the best motorcycling I've ever had the joy to experience. But some of those mid-summer Dakota hail storms are TERRIFYING!

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 May 21

@liljo said
You are very fortunate to live in that part of the world. And Deadwood...Man, I had a blast there! SO much history. The Black Hills provide some of the best motorcycling I've ever had the joy to experience. But some of those mid-summer Dakota hail storms are TERRIFYING!
Did you like the movie series?

Moves
04 May 21

@mchill
So far I've only seen the first episode, but I did enjoy that. I get it how many will groan about some of the chess scenes, but that's probably the same way I groan over MC shows like "Sons of Anarchy" and "The Mayans."

Main thing for me is this: My wife and I can both enjoy the show. It's entertaining. That's all that matters.

Moves
05 May 21

OK, I have watched half of the series. So far, so good...

Beth. Is. Hot.

HAWT.
Smokin'...

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
06 May 21

@liljo said
OK, I have watched half of the series. So far, so good...

Beth. Is. Hot.

HAWT.
Smokin'...
Beth. Is. Hot.

HAWT.
Smokin'...

She's a beauty queen alright. Glad you like the series.

D

Moves
06 May 21
2 edits

D

Moves
06 May 21
2 edits

rain

Moves
06 May 21

@liljo said
Honestly, I have yet to see this series...I’ve never had Netflix! I’m from the Stone Age/ Erly Bronze Age and actually remember when the Rules for Knight moves in chess was actually defined...

I am actually considering joining the 21st Century just to check it out. How would those who’ve seen it rate it? Scale of 1-5, 5 being outstanding and 1 being “stay in your cave?”
I'd rate it a 4 out of 5.

It's a well-written drama that's uses chess as a background for character development, much like sport movies. So don't go into it so much for the chess as much as for good entertainment.

Moves
06 May 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I pretty much agree with your opinion on this. I am a stout believer in personal freedom, with the hopes that people who express their freedom will be somewhat considerate of others. For example, I am a heterosexual male with a beautiful wife. We don't go out in public hanging all over each other with big displays of affection. Now, I chase her all over the house when we get home! In private.

Yes, I can understand the wonders expressed at the end of your post...We men learn to work through those distractions. It's not easy. Takes a lot of discipline and due diligence, but we manage to just pause for a moment, admire the sights, then get right back into whatever we are doing.

I have had the experience of nearly being killed on a motorcycle due simply to a convertible automobile pulling alongside me on one of the United States crumbling interstates and the two young (college age, I'd guess) attractive girls honking, then pulling their shirts up to show me their very attractive breasts...I took just a little too long of a view and nearly reached my life's concluding moment as traffic had slowed suddenly and without my notice.

F

Moves
06 May 21

The dress code discussed in that Daily Mail article from 2012 has since ensnared men also. An instance from 2017 is reported at https://www.chess.com/news/view/dress-code-incident-at-world-cup-kovalyov-forfeit.

D

Moves
06 May 21
1 edit

D

Moves
07 May 21
1 edit

Moves
07 May 21
2 edits

Finished watching. Loved Borgov’s graciousness at the end. Fun times all around.

Don’t overthink it.

Duchess! You have the amazing ability to find occasion in practically any subject to cast insulting remarks to anything American, white, and especially American whites! It has been my experience that anytime we stereotype very large population groups, we really only let our own ignorance and bigotry reveal themselves. I try to avoid that.

The show was entertainment for those who enjoyed it. II appreciate the reviews, that was my original idea for posting on the subject. It certainly wasn’t intended to provide occasion for arrogance and insults.

PS: The show was Netflix #1 most popular in 63 countries around the world.

D

Moves
07 May 21
2 edits