Pleasing positional sacrifice

Pleasing positional sacrifice

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
29 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
And I suppose my comments are only worth a fart or two.
The threads not about you Ronald me ol son.

rc

Moves
29 Sep 12

Originally posted by hedonist
Ah, Mork & Mindy. Now that was a good show. You're older than I thought Robbie. 😉
I vaguely remember it, lol 🙂

e4

Moves
29 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I've a feeling this is. Thread 148622

Glad to see you appear to have ignored the earlier remark made by the troll about your game.
It's obvious to see by his later comments he had not even looked at the game.
This one is a total fraud.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Sep 12

I see you are without your "Haters got to Hate" T-shirt.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Sep 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I've a feeling this is. Thread 148622

Glad to see you appear to have ignored the earlier remark made by the troll about your game.
It's obvious to see by his later comments he had not even looked at the game.
This one is a total fraud.
Shame on you.

rc

Moves
29 Sep 12
2 edits

I see you are without your "Haters got to Hate" T-shirt.
Ronald me ol son, you and I go way back to the spirituality forum, we have debated
many things from the bias of translation in the Greek scriptures to my continuing
attempts to educate you in what constitutes a predicate noun under the Greek idiom.
We have had many a duel at dawn, with pistols and French foils in a figurative sense,
but this is the chess only forum, people want to discuss and share ideas about chess,
its not a place to get personal, although sometimes it happens, this was my meaning,
so cheer up, post a Fischer game that you liked, I know he's a big hero of yours,
people will discuss it and appreciate the ideas, but you are doing yourself no favours by
upsetting people, its not like spirituality when you can praise da Lord here and give a
Hallelujah there while shakin your tambourine. People come here to try to learn a
thing or two from some very experienced master strength players and they will
resent anything else and who can blame them 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Sep 12

Ronald me ol son, you and I go way back to the spirituality forum, we have debated
many things from the bias of translation in the Greek scriptures to my continuing
attempts to educate you in what constitutes a predicate noun under the Greek idiom.
We have had many a duel at dawn, with pistols and French foils in a figurative sense,
but this ...[text shortened]... erienced master strength players and they will
resent anything else and who can blame them 🙂
I came back on this forum to talk about chess. However, many of you guys will not let me be nice and stick to the subject, because of your little remarks. So you reap what you sow.

rc

Moves
29 Sep 12

I came back on this forum to talk about chess. However, many of you guys will not let me be nice and stick to the subject, because of your little remarks. So you reap what you sow.
yes you do RJH which is why you are being treated the way you are, just ignore those people who you think treat you badly and you will be ok.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
29 Sep 12

yes you do RJH which is why you are being treated the way you are, just ignore those people who you think treat you badly and you will be ok.
Robbie you have the patience of a saint. The guy is obviously an attention seeking nutjob.

I've never felt the urge to put someone on an ignore list here until now. How is this done?

rc

Moves
29 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by hedonist
Robbie you have the patience of a saint. The guy is obviously an attention seeking nutjob.

I've never felt the urge to put someone on an ignore list here until now. How is this done?
Actually Hedonist RJH is really quite harmless, you can tell him straight that hes talking
pants and he never gets upset although he is crazier than a one eyed junk yard dawg
thats just been run over though. 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Sep 12

Actually Hedonist RJH is really quite harmless, you can tell him straight that hes talking
pants and he never gets upset although he is crazier than a one eyed junk yard dawg
thats just been run over though. 🙂
I knew you could not help from loving me for I'm such a wonderful guy. 😏

rc

Moves
30 Sep 12

I knew you could not help from loving me for I'm such a wonderful guy. 😏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6I_bou5rw
if you were chocolate RJH you could eat yourself 🙂

e4

Moves
30 Sep 12

It is now.

He is confusing hatred with exasperation.

He wants to talk chess?
It would be great to have a solid 2200 player as regular forum guy.

Instead of us asking him questions and getting answers.
We find ourselves staring open mouthed at some of the stuff he comes
out with and have to pull the plug before some 1400 lad happens along
and gets scarred for life.

That's when the fun starts because he he's never wrong. Ever.
Even when he is 100% wrong.

Exasperation.

s

Moves
30 Sep 12

sick puppies.

t

Moves
01 Oct 12
1 edit

my dear Duchess64, you are absolutely correct I had not calculated deeply enough
and made my decision purely on instinct (with a little calculation) After fatladys lines
I shudder to think what could have happened had my opponent played the best
lines. After a little reflection I simply chose the line that seemed the most forcing
and aesthet some
slight on a ladies honour, oh hopeless romantic who can help you with your
delusions?
It isn't a positional sacrifice because it could have been calculated out to a win. A positional sac is usually the sac of the exchange because you are banking on being able to keep the pawns on and the position closed and it doesn't neccessarily mean an advantage, just a difference. Whereas trading a knight for a passed pawn is just a material trade whereby you are increasing the value of the pawn to your advantage (or disadvantage if it was incorrect.)

A positional sac thinking might goe like this, "Well, my knight has no outposts and I don't think he can get into the game anytime soon... he is more a liability in my position than an asset so I'll just sac him for those two pawns that are blocking my fianchettoed bishop in... there isn't a win in sight but I think I am still even or maybe a little better here."

Yours was, "Let me try to be an artist and sac this rook for three connected passed pawns so I can show it off on RHP. I think I'm winning so I don't really have to calculate but I'll promote one of my pawns for sure." 😛

See the difference? In one there is no clear winning goal, just positional judgement, whereas in yours you sacced with the winning goal of promotion, which makes it tactical.