Opening traps

Opening traps

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
76d
1 edit

@bigdogg said
I've given this 'discussion' what it deserved.

You've been very disrespectful to Carnivorum. You don't get to ask other people for better.
Really? You have contributed anything of note to this chess discussion? This is a discussion about chess.

Please note that Carnivirum has said he is not interested in the centre for example, then in this game what makes the difference?

Any chess player would have something to say about chess moves. Go to the General forum or Debates if you cannot comment on the chess.

c

Moves
76d

My goodness the Evan's gambit has evolved, the site reckons they made 9 blunders each but still, interesting game.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
76d

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
76d

@congruent said
Really? You have contributed anything of note to this chess discussion? This is a discussion about chess.

Please note that Carnivirum has said he is not interested in the centre for example, then in this game what makes the difference?

Any chess player would have something to say about chess moves. Go to the General forum or Debates if you cannot comment on the chess. ...[text shortened]... c6 12. Bd2 Re8 13. Qc1 Bf6 14. e4
Nb6 15. e5 Bh4 16. Bxh6 gxh6 17. Qxh6 f5 18. Qxh4 Nxd4
1-0[/pgn]
I am interested in chess, but don't have much time to spend on outright arse holes.

Thanks for the PM revealing yourself as such. Always helpful when they "out" themselves.

c

Moves
75d
2 edits

Robert James Fischer vs Reuben Fine
"A Fine Line"
New York (1963), New York, NY USA, Mar-??
Italian Game: Evans Gambit. Compromised Defense (C52) · 1-0

Fine was not too happy with Fischer including this game in his best 60 games

Evans Gambit Explained by Bobby | Fischer vs Fine | New York 1963

Moves
75d

@congruent said
My goodness the Evan's gambit
For Caissa's sake, can you at least be respectful of the man's name!?

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
75d

So I just played a Budapest gambit. I considered the Englund, but because the enemy was 1800+, I decided to be more careful, and play the Budapest.

The reason I don't play the Budapest more often, is because many times you don't get the chance, because then the enemy starts playing the London, which I hate.

There are a handful of good traps in the Budapest gambit, but the enemy didn't fall into any of 'm, but fortunately with a simple, I would almost say childish, tactic, I manage to relieve the enemy of his queen, and he resigned.

On move 8. 😀 😀 😀

https://tinyurl.com/Bud-killer

c

Moves
74d

White can keep the pawn in the Budapest Nf3 , Bf4 and Qd5 at some point.

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
74d

In our noble chess game there is a thing called "The Tennison gambit".

It's a nice trappy gambit, the way I like them. There are simple variants, and complicated variations. I used to use the simple ones for lower rated enemies, and the complicated ones for higher rated enemies.
But the complicated variations mostly didn't work out the way they should, so I stopped playing those, and I play now the simple variants against all comers.

The simple variants have the advantage that when the enemy doesn't fall for your trap, you get you pawn back with a decent position, no harm done.

Just now I had a reasonably high rated player, an 1860, (the average rating on Lichess is about 1600) and I played against him the Tennision gambit.

Unfortunately, he didn't walk into the trap, but I got my pawn back, I messed up his castling rights, and my queen was hovering close to his king, but no mate or major damage in sight, and we were materially totally equal.

And then, what does he do?

Suddenly, HE RESIGNS!!

And that happened on move 8. 😀

Life is good with opening traps!

https://tinyurl.com/Tennison-deadly

c

Moves
74d

Lol are you bribing you opponents or what? A few games where you win in 10 or so moves. With the hole at d5 what is black thinking with Qf6??

Moves
73d

@congruent said
Have you played any one over 1900 recently?
On this site, he hasn't played anyone over 1300. I call shenanigans.

c

Moves
73d
1 edit

@shallow-blue said
On this site, he hasn't played anyone over 1300. I call shenanigans.
Expand the pgn link to see it's on a different site 900 seconds per game. It's not on this site so the players could be new hence why high initial rating.

I was wondering why suddenly someone was butthurt (dude with doggy avatar), lol they don't have a clue what was going on.

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
73d
1 edit

So Lichess just paired me with an 1897. WAY too strong for me, those 1800s. Anyway, I thought: Let’s give it a try. The enemy starts against me with an Italian opening. And recently I had an opponent who consistently played the Blackburne-Shilling gambit against every Italian opening. Inspired by that, I thought: "Let me try it against that highly ranked guy. He never falls for that, but why not?"
Thus thought, thus done. I played the Blackburne-Shilling, my horse jumped forward and settled on d4.

Who can describe my surprise and unbridled joy when I saw the enemy eat the poisoned pawn on e5?

The usual routine followed, my queen to g5, and then the enemy horse went to g4, thinking that the horse was now covered by its queen, and that my queen could now not capture on g2.
Technically he was right about that, everything was neatly covered. However, this was the Blackburne-Shilling trap, so there was a devastating continuation for this eventuality too. My queen pawn shot forward two squares, attacking the enemy bishop on c4. But that was not all, with the leap forward my queen's pawn opened the diagonal c8-g4. And g4 was the square where the enemy horse stood. And yes, it was attacked by my queen, but covered by his queen, but now the bishop on c8 had also started to attack that horse. So the enemy bishop on c4 was attacked by the pawn, and the horse on g4 was now twice attacked, so something had to give on the enemy's side.
The scoundrel thought he was smart, and he moved his queen's pawn forward, causing my queen to suddenly be attacked by his bishop on c1. But unfortunately, that didn't help the enemy either. My queen simply took a step forward and knocked the enemy horse off the board. The enemy queen who was covering the horse took my queen, but I had my c8 bishop as a backup, and he took the enemy queen, and then I was suddenly a full horse ahead.
And then the enemy bishop on c4 was still attacked by my pawn, and he decided to take my d5 pawn.

Oh what a terrible mistake!

What he should have done was to cover the point c2, because now that he had neglected it, my horse jumped on it and forked his king and castle, and that was the end of his castle. The enemy was now one horse and one castle behind. He made some attempts to catch my horse in the corner, but he saw that even if he caught it, he would still be a full castle behind, so he decided to throw in the towel.

On move 13!

The Blackburne Shilling did it again!!

http://tinyurl.com/Blackb-sh-killer

c

Moves
72d

Can or do strong players make one-move blunders? White opens unconventionally, black allows a pin on f6 but then black goes d5 (does it deserve a ?? or !?), just think about this for some minutes.

Both players are stronger than all of us here so not knocking them just getting us amateurs to think outside our chess. I posted a game earlier where white's moves were thematic so just a blip on this occasion.

Moves
72d
1 edit

@congruent said
Expand the pgn link to see it's on a different site 900 seconds per game. It's not on this site so the players could be new hence why high initial rating.
Yeah. And on both sites, I call shenanigans.