One move a day

One move a day

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
09 May 06

3. ... exd.

z

Moves
09 May 06

Rahim is right. The question is if black has an e pawn and not a c pawn, this would be a panov attack against the Caro. What difference does it make that both white and black lack e-pawns?

From my experience with the french exchange variation, no one plays 4. c4 (come to htink of it, Ravello might) and it makes me wonder how this game will turn out. From my own point of view, it's a little too aggressive, and I wonder if black can capitalize on whites space grab.

I just checked chessbase (big db 2004) and there are 2000+ games that reached the position after
1. c4, e6 2. e4 d5 3. exd exd 4. d4

The most common response is Nf6 where white scores 51% and c6 where white scores 56%.

Assuming
1. c4, e6 2. e4 d5 3. exd exd 4. d4 Nf6 black is in an interesting position. In my experience, most french exchanges have black playing Bd6, Ne7, f6 and starting a kingside pawn storm where f5 is a crucial square that black must control to mobilize his pieces. In this case, black will probably play Nf6 and Be7 and probably 0-0 making the pawn storm not such a tempting idea (especially with the unresolved center). What I can't figure out is: what does black (eventually) decide to target?

F

Moves
10 May 06

1. c4 e6 2. e4 d5 3. exd5 exd5

e

Moves
10 May 06

What is this opening called?

t

my island

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
What is this opening called?
it looks good for black

e

Moves
10 May 06

Yeah, it does. Looks like White has no advantage at all.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
10 May 06

4. d4

t

my island

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
Yeah, it does. Looks like White has no advantage at all.
i think maybe he should take the d5 pawn then d4. what do you think?

MS

Under Cover

Moves
10 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by trevor33
i think maybe he should take the d5 pawn then d4. what do you think?
If he takes the d5 pawn first, then when black recaptures with the Queen white is behind in development and is still stuck with the isolated d-pawn. If he plays d4 first, he invites black to play dxc. If so, then Bxc4 and white still has his half tempo lead that he started with, although he is still stuck with the isolani in a wide open position. I may be wrong, but this is how I see it.

t

my island

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by BLReid
If he takes the d5 pawn first, then when black recaptures with the Queen white is behind in development and is still stuck with the isolated d-pawn. If he plays d4 first, he invites black to play dxc. If so, then Bxc4 and white still has his half tempo lead that he started with, although he is still stuck with the isolani in a wide open position. I may be wrong, but this is how I see it.
yeah that might be best but i think i would still take the d pawn first just to clear the centre a bit and i can stll bring out my knights and bishops to attack his queen if i need to. it might not be the best way of playing but its what i would prefer.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by trevor33
yeah that might be best but i think i would still take the d pawn first just to clear the centre a bit and i can stll bring out my knights and bishops to attack his queen if i need to. it might not be the best way of playing but its what i would prefer.
Like I said, I could be way off on this, but I don't think it makes any sense for white to throw away a full tempo in such a wide open position with the kings still in the center. Time is shaping up to be the most important factor in this position rather quickly.

t

my island

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Like I said, I could be way off on this, but I don't think it makes any sense for white to throw away a full tempo in such a wide open position with the kings still in the center. Time is shaping up to be the most important factor in this position rather quickly.
your right, d4 is best move and most people here will say that but i prefer the game to be a little more open in the centre so wouldn't mind losing a bit of position. i suppose its really what sort of game you like to what you think the best move is.

F

Moves
10 May 06

This game is still in its opening phase, don't you agree?
But when does it progresses into the middle phase? Is there such a criteria? Like moving a rook (except for castling), or the queen, or perhaps exchanging knights or bishops?

Please, can anyone keep an eye on the progressing of the game and give me a hint when it turns from opening game to a middle game...?

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
10 May 06

I'm going to say: 4. cxd5.

I don't think its a bad opening for white neither black, depending on their strengths. If black plays 4. Qxd5, white can play Nc3, driving the queen away. In exchange for an isolated queens pawn white will have an extra tempo. If white plays sharp and agressive, it'll have the advantage in the middle game.

M

Moves
10 May 06

4.cxd with the idea of
4. ... Qxd 5.Nc3 or
4. ... Nf6 5.Bb5+

But black is doing ok here.