Nimzo Indian

Nimzo Indian

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
04 Aug 06

I've been looking through TWIC for about the last month trying to find Nimzo-Indian/Bogo-Indian games. However, when I searched I noticed that most players are opting to play 3.g3. Can anybody tell me why this is?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I've been looking through TWIC for about the last month trying to find Nimzo-Indian/Bogo-Indian games. However, when I searched I noticed that most players are opting to play 3.g3. Can anybody tell me why this is?
Are you talking about:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3?

I can't rememeber what the reason was behind 3.g3. It's in my notes somewhere. I got the notes from a Roman DVD.

It had something to do with the h1-a8 diagonal.

c

Moves
04 Aug 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Are you talking about:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3?

I can't rememeber what the reason was behind 3.g3. It's in my notes somewhere. I got the notes from a Roman DVD.

Before you start making sarcastic comments maybe reasing the question more carefully would help. Since you can't seem to understand it here it is again: Why are people play 3.g3 over 3.Nc3 or 3.Nf3?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Aug 06

Before you start making sarcastic comments maybe reasing the question more carefully would help. Since you can't seem to understand it here it is again: Why are people play 3.g3 over 3.Nc3 or 3.Nf3?
I know what you are asking. I'm just asking is that the move order.

And I can't remember why there are playing 3.g3 over the other moves. It's in my notes but it had something to do with the diagonal.

c

Moves
04 Aug 06

I know what you are asking. I'm just asking is that the move order.

And I can't remember why there are playing 3.g3 over the other moves. It's in my notes but it had something to do with the diagonal.
Yes, of course that is the move order. And if that was your question then why is there a stupid sarcastic comment in your post?

IFI

Moves
04 Aug 06

3.g3 makes it a Catalan Opening I think. Try looking at that.

G

Moves
04 Aug 06

Yes,it makes it the Catalan.They play g3 to avoid the nimzo.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
04 Aug 06

yup, that's the catalan, and it's pretty good too, dunno the whole logic behind it but I've played it a few times.

m

Moves
04 Aug 06

I played it in a correspondence game I just started and MY reasoning was: I wanted to try out the 4-P’s Attack against the K-Indian, but when my opponent played 2…e6, I didn’t want to play against the Nimzo. Maybe this is the first time in my life I thought like a grandmaster?! (Except for the 4-P’s Attack thing)

M

Moves
04 Aug 06

Originally posted by Gorgar
Yes,it makes it the Catalan.They play g3 to avoid the nimzo.
Interesting fact about the Catalan opening: it was created 'on demand'. In 1929, the organisers of a chess tournament in Catalunia, Spain, asked Tartakower to create a dedicated opening variation. He did and came up with this Catalan opening. Not the most frequently opening played, but most top GM's have played it from time to time.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Aug 06

Yes, of course that is the move order. And if that was your question then why is there a stupid sarcastic comment in your post?
What sarcastic comment?

I'm just trying to help here.

m

Moves
04 Aug 06

Now, now, boys...no need to start getting snotty...be nice to each other.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 Aug 06

Originally posted by masscat
Now, now, boys...no need to start getting snotty...be nice to each other.
I'm trying to help him and he getting upset at me for some reason. I'm still not quite sure why?

j

Moves
04 Aug 06

Didn't notice any sarcastic comment myself.

IFI

Moves
04 Aug 06

Are you talking about:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3?

There was no hint of sarcasm in that post.