Nf3 to avoid the ruy

Nf3 to avoid the ruy

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR

Moves
24 Apr 08

Originally posted by kmac27
all e5 games seem way too drawish. Maybe I just don't know how to attack.
Isn't the Ruy supposed to be rich in tactics? At least that's what everyone tells me. 🙂

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
24 Apr 08

I dont think I have seen so much nonsense in one thread in my entire time on the site.

I agree with Smaugie drugs are definately to blame here 🙂

Look you like playing White against the Sicilian but dont like the Spanish.

1.Nf3 c5 e4 gets you into a Sicilian

But after 1.Nf3 Nf6 or 1.Nf3 d5 you can't play ann e4 Opening and you are best to play KIA or transpose into a d4/c4 opening.

But after 1.e4 Smauster is right. Just don't play 3.Bb5

Try the King's Gmabit or the Scotch or the Italian game there are lots of other choice.

Very odd thread 😕

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
24 Apr 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Isn't the Ruy supposed to be rich in tactics? At least that's what everyone tells me. 🙂
Depends on the variations involved

Marshall Attack
Zaitsev
Schliemann

These are very attacking/tactical variations of the Spanish

Berlin
Breyer

are a couple of very strategic and quiet systems (i.e. less tactical) in the Spanish

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
25 Apr 08
1 edit

all e5 games seem way too drawish. Maybe I just don't know how to attack.
Play a gambit, then. Any gambit: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4; 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4; 1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3; 1. e4 e5 2. f4; whichever you like the best. At our level they won't be drawish at all, and it will certainly improve your attacking skills. 🙂

Z

Moves
25 Apr 08

Play:
King’s Gambit 1. e4 e5 2. f4
Vienna Game, Falkbeer Defence 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Bc4 Nxe4 4. Qh5 Nd6
Scotch Game 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4

for starters. There are plenty of things to do against e5, I chose the openings most likely to not be draws.

There's also the Piano, Lopez (although you want to avoid that), or you could play:
1. Nf3 (usually a Reti)
2. d4 d5 c4 (Queen's Gambit)
3. c4 (English)
4. b3 or g3

Expand! 🙂

g

Moves
25 Apr 08

Buy or borrow (but please don't steal) Gambiteer I by Nigel Davies. Then, you can swashbuckle away:

1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 c3 (Danish Gambit)

1 e4 c5 2 b4 (Wing Gambit)

1 e4 e6 2 Nf3 d5 3 e5 c5 4 b4 (Another Wing Gambit)

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 f3 (Fantasy Variation)

To help sharpen your tactical vision, try to solve the puzzles from a book like Sharpen Your Tactics by Lein, et. al., or the new Chess Gems by Suhkin.

d

Moves
27 Apr 08

I think something is very wrong here. First, I don't believe a person who was once rated well over 1800 asks this question. Second, I don't see how anyone could lose 400 rating points in six months. Third, the spelling and grammer indicate the poster is not seriously interested in the conversation. If it smells like a troll, walks like a troll, and talks like a troll, IT'S A TROLL.

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
27 Apr 08

He's a decent guy. I've played him quite a few times; we exchanged messages and he took both wins and losses well. No reason to gang up on the guy and call him a troll just because he had a weird opening idea. >_>

c

USA

Moves
29 Apr 08

No I want to play my first move as Nf3. I want to find lines that avoid the ruy lopez. I can at least deveate if black tries to play Nf6 and e5 you see?
Play 1.d4. Trust me, I never have had to play the Ruy again!
😛

s

Moves
29 Apr 08

Does anyone play Nf3 to avoid the ruy lopez? I love sicilian games, but love it when I get to play a sicilian game. If I convert to Nf3 then what are some things I may encounter as problematic, being that I am a e4 player and not a d4 player.
It's pretty simple - if you don't like the Lopez as White, play QP openings. The Lopez is BY FAR White's best KP opening. If you want to avoid it, then you shouldn't even be thinking of playing vs. the Sicilian.

Scott

c

Moves
30 Apr 08

Originally posted by smrex13
It's pretty simple - if you don't like the Lopez as White, play QP openings. The Lopez is BY FAR White's best KP opening. If you want to avoid it, then you shouldn't even be thinking of playing vs. the Sicilian.

Scott
Do you know what the Ruy Lopez is? It is not playable after 1. c5, so how can you attack a Sicilian with a Lopez? And I also disagree it is by far the best KP opening. Bandwagoneer.

MR

Moves
30 Apr 08

Originally posted by smrex13
The Lopez is BY FAR White's best KP opening.
I've heard that the Ruy is a good opening for White. I'm sure you could argue that it's the best KP opening for White, and it might make an interesting debate. But to say that it's the best BY FAR may be stretching the point a wee bit. If it really is the best BY FAR, then no GM would ever choose to play the black side of the Ruy, and every GM playing 1.e4 would always aim for the Ruy if given the chance. However, a good number of GMs choose other white KP openings, and a good number of GMs quite often choose to play the black side of the Ruy. So either they know something that you don't know, or you could probably earn a decent amount of money by showing those poor, ignorant GMs the errors of their ways. 😉

c

Moves
30 Apr 08

Originally posted by chesskid001
Play 1.d4. Trust me, I never have had to play the Ruy again!
😛
1. d4?? d5!! 0-1
😉

MR

Moves
30 Apr 08

Originally posted by curseknight
1. d4?? d5!! 0-1
😉
Sorry, I don't get the joke. Nothing wrong with 1.d4, and 1...d5 isn't exactly a bolt of lightning.

s

Moves
01 May 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I've heard that the Ruy is a good opening for White. I'm sure you could argue that it's the best KP opening for White, and it might make an interesting debate. But to say that it's the best BY FAR may be stretching the point a wee bit. If it really is the best BY FAR, then no GM would ever choose to play the black side of the Ruy, and every GM playing 1.e4 ...[text shortened]... n a decent amount of money by showing those poor, ignorant GMs the errors of their ways. 😉
Fair enough, perhaps I was overstating things a bit. However, I think that if GMs knew that they would face a Lopez when playing white, we'd see a lot more of them playing 1.e4. I guess I was shocked by a thread in which a player wants to face the Sicilian but is looking for ways to avoid the Lopez. If you're willing to face the Sicilian, you have to be willing to the play against the Lopez, too.

Scott