My first club game, with clock

My first club game, with clock

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
04 May 17

Since first joining this site in 2012 I had not often played OTB
and when I did it was against friends who mostly didn't know the "en passant" rule.

I have had the pleasure of meeting friends from the Yorkshire Laikers clan,
we played a few games but these were relaxed and without a clock... I had not lost a single game OTB all these years.

I finally took the plunge and joined a local chess club, who play in the Doncaster League of I think 7 teams.

This past Wednesday was my first game, but was literally the last game of the season,
so perhaps it was unfortunate timing as there'll be no more games for a while.

I played Black against an experienced player, who's around 140 ECF (so I was told).

What do you guys think?

I feel like I can learn from this game.
If I keep playing with clocks and maybe enter a tournament or two, I can soon see real genuine improvement,
far more significant than playing this correspondence rubbish 🙂

Time controls were 60 minutes each, with an extra 15 minutes after move 30 (no increment).
I mostly kept ahead of him on the clock, but perhaps this was not necessarily a good thing considering I lost!

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
04 May 17

Time pressure is an intrinsic element of OTB play: if you're loosing, complicate and maybe your opponent won't find a refutation in time. This does not work nearly so well in correspondence chess.

E

Moves
04 May 17

Why not make a dubious sac?

Because you don't want to give the game away?