Memorizing With Flashcards

Memorizing With Flashcards

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
28 Jul 07

I just had this idea. I usually memorize my lessons with flashcards, so why not implement it to chess openings too? I have trouble how to do this though. Any ideas?

i

Moves
28 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by anthias
I just had this idea. I usually memorize my lessons with flashcards, so why not implement it to chess openings too? I have trouble how to do this though. Any ideas?
so what would you be doing next then? naming the opening and then the devopment goal of each side or something??

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
so what would you be doing next then? naming the opening and then the devopment goal of each side or something??
Ideas are easy to grasp, I do that by studying books and looking at database games. The hard part is memorizing lines.

Flashcards are great for me. I once memorized a whole book thanks to them. It fits my way of learning.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
28 Jul 07
1 edit

for someone who is almost 1700 you ask alot of beginner questions....

i look at yer record....pretty fast climb.....hmmmm interesting...

300 rating point increase in 2 months........hmmmmm

i

Moves
28 Jul 07

before this turns into a conspiracy thread heres a flashcard for ya!!

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
28 Jul 07

nf3!!

Moves
28 Jul 07

That's a Petroff. However my goal is not to recognize openings but create a special card set for my opening repertoire, which I am working hard to create right now (loads of tourneys coming up next month). FYI I am studying the QGA and open games as black.

i

Moves
28 Jul 07
1 edit

That's a Petroff. However my goal is not to recognize openings but create a special card set for my opening repertoire, which I am working hard to create right now (loads of tourneys coming up next month). FYI I am studying the QGA and open games as black.
cool, are you printing them off here?

V

Moves
28 Jul 07

The approach itself is debatable, but putting that aside, did you consider using software such as Bookup or Chess Position Trainer (both have free versions which are usable for this purpose)?

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
28 Jul 07

Would you put one move on a flash card or a series of moves? I don't see much point to it, compared to software by fritz, bookup, etc, that give a series of lines. I have a few cards with positions in diagrams with solutions on back, sort of like tactical shots in various books. Positions i can see, but openings, i don't think it'll work well.

MR

Moves
01 Aug 07

Someone got the idea of combining chess opening flash cards with a deck of playing cards.

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=2055

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
01 Aug 07

Sorry, what is a flash card? Call me old fashioned, but the way I memorize lines of play is to understand the point of what each side is trying to do and what the various threats and so on are in the position and then I find I have no difficulty remembering the details - if I can't remember the details it means I haven't understood the position properly.

Gimmicks like flash cards are probably counterproductive - you end up learning a load of facts without actually understanding what you think you know. If flash cards are what I imagine them to be then they were probably invented by someone trying to build a career - you need to be careful of these people, they cause all sorts of problems.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Aug 07

I used to do this. The problem is that as you get deeper into the opening the possible variations become so numerous that you can't have enough flash cards.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
Sorry, what is a flash card? Call me old fashioned, but the way I memorize lines of play is to understand the point of what each side is trying to do and what the various threats and so on are in the position and then I find I have no difficulty remembering the details - if I can't remember the details it means I haven't understood the position properly ...[text shortened]... to build a career - you need to be careful of these people, they cause all sorts of problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashcard

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I used to do this. The problem is that as you get deeper into the opening the possible variations become so numerous that you can't have enough flash cards.
I have a stock of about 25000 flashcards ready 🙂