Manchester Summer Congress - My games analysis

Manchester Summer Congress - My games analysis

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
22 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
23 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
23 Aug 18

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
23 Aug 18

it wont allow me to post the game on a reply here so I started a new thread in the chess forum

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
25 Aug 18

Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
[b]Game 5 - Zak Tomlinson (105) vs Julian Hawthorne (119)

Sitting on board 3 in the final round,
I needed a full point to have a chance of winning something substantial, if at all.

What did the tense final round have in store for me?

[pgn][Event "Manchester Congress"] [Site "?"] [Date "2018.9.19"] [Round "5"] [White "Zak Tomlinson"] [B ...[text shortened]... ither game won, we would have had to split the money 4 ways or even 5 ways... lucky lucky lucky![/b]
So that's that.
Anybody who says there is virtually no luck in chess has clearly not played enough over the board!

I agree, it's amazing what hangs on a few seconds and a small piece of luck. This is why I left OTB years ago to focus on correspondence chess, it used to tear me up inside to carefully build up a winning position then lose the game because the clock didn't allow enough time to see I was open to mate in 2 or 3, or some cheapo like a skewer, fork or nasty double attack. To make matters worse, I then had then politely shake the hand of the urchin I genuinely wanted to destroy with a pick axe to the back of his head. I much prefer to click on a "resign" button and move on.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
25 Aug 18

I needed a full point to have a chance of winning something substantial, if at all.

[pgn][Event "Manchester Congress"] [Site "?"] [Date "2018.9.19"] [Round "5"] [White "Zak Tomlinson"] [B ...[text shortened]... ither game won, we would have had to split the money 4 ways or even 5 ways... lucky lucky lucky![/b]
So that's that.
Anybody who says there is virtually no luck in chess has clearly not played enough over the board!

I agree, it's amazing what hangs on a few seconds and a small piece of luck. This is why I left OTB years ago to focus on correspondence chess, it used to tear me up inside to carefully build up a winning position then lose the game because the clock didn't allow enough time to see I was open to mate in 2 or 3, or some cheapo like a skewer, fork or nasty double attack. To make matters worse, I then had then politely shake the hand of the urchin I genuinely wanted to destroy with a pick axe to the back of his head. I much prefer to click on a "resign" button and move on.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
25 Aug 18

since 1-Feb-07

Australia

Moves
26 Aug 18

This post worked correctly.

Moves
26 Aug 18

Hey Zak–

I don't know if this reply will show up due to that glitch with that user but these are some cool games and I enjoyed your annotations. Thanks for posting and good luck.