Kasparov to receive Human Rights Award

Kasparov to receive Human Rights Award

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
10 Apr 13

I know a lot of people don't like Kasparov but I'm not one of them. I admire him as a chessplayer and human being.

http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009442/kasparov-to-receive-human-rights-award-100413.aspx

FL

Moves
10 Apr 13

One quibble: "He was listed by Time Magazine as one of the Top 100 people whose moral example is transforming the world" is most certainly not an accurate depiction of what the Time 100 most influential people in the world list is about.

I don't want to go on too much about the political alignment of "UN Watch". Perhaps anyone interested could just read the Wiki article about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Watch and make up their own mind about where they're coming from.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
[b]One quibble: "He was listed by Time Magazine as one of the Top 100 people whose moral example is transforming the world" is most certainly not an accurate depiction of what the Time 100 most influential people in the world list is about.

I guess you would know better than Time Magazine what their definition of moral example is.

While you're at it, why don't you tell me who I should admire?

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by woodypusher
(this refers to the post immediately above.)

This is an overreaction, and personal in a negative way that isn't justified. We don't have to agree, but we can be civil about it.

Kasparov can be a polarizing figure, which is part of what makes him so interesting.

e

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by woodypusher
I know a lot of people don't like Kasparov but I'm not one of them. I admire him as a chessplayer and human being.

http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009442/kasparov-to-receive-human-rights-award-100413.aspx
its his second. he got one from vladimir putin 😛

U

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

I wish he would run for the U.S. Senate. I would vote for him for President if he was allowed to run.

e

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
I wish he would run for the U.S. Senate. I would vote for him for President if he was allowed to run.
Very clever people like that I wouldn't always vote for - I didn't like al gore

I used to be a salesman and you can trick clever people in ways a stupid person would not fall for (flattery)

Tony Blair was clever and not gullable but i find most clever people are

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by e4chris
Tony Blair was clever and not gullable
You are joking of course.

Blair absorbs flattery like a sponge. He has an ego the size of a minor planet. And 'not gullible'? Well, you decide: after a weekend of private meetings with George Dubya Bush (and some prayin' together apparently), Blair emerged convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do 🙄

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by atticus2

Blair absorbs flattery like a sponge. He has an ego the size of a minor planet. And 'not gullible'? Well, you decide: after a weekend of private meetings with George Dubya Bush (and some prayin' together apparently), Blair emerged convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do 🙄
That just shows who has the money bucket.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
11 Apr 13
3 edits

I fear for Kasparov's life, especially after what happened to Alexander Litvinenko and Boris Berezovsky. Kasparov is risking his life standing up to Putin. Even if you disagree with Garry, you have to admire his cojones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

http://kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2013/03/25/17528.shtml

As far as overreacting, it all depends on how deeply you admire someone. I have deep admiration for Kasparov. My reaction was normal based on that.. For others who don't like Kasparov or like him less, yes, it would be an overreaction.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
So would I.

Kasparov on Bill Mahler's show:

e

Moves
11 Apr 13
6 edits

I think what you miss is Blair and Bush were a bit like Thatcher - scary to have as president as they could be so willful, but terrible to have as an enemy. People mock Bush but who would you rather have as a foe? you could appease Al Gore no end but you could not appease Bush that easily.

Blair was confident / arrogant a bit but in a healthy way - he didn't need flattery, he would take very unpopular decisions if essential.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Apr 13

Invading Iraq to remove that dictator was the right thing to do and it would have worked perfectly if the U.S. had more courageous allies instead of so many cowards following after that French leader. You cowardly British would not have helped either, if it was not for Tony Blair. That is the way I feel about it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
You cowardly British would not have helped either, if it was not for Tony Blair. That is the way I feel about it.
How many VCs have Americans won?
Eh?

e4

Moves
12 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
How many VCs have Americans won?
Eh?
Six.

Including Bellenden Seymour Hutcheson who was born in America and
took up Canadian nationality just so he could fight in WWI.
Off he goes and fights in WWI. Wins the Victoria Cross, comes home and
takes up American nationality again.