Just how important is your rating?

Just how important is your rating?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
We're not supposed to comment on games on progress. But I'll comment on your opponent - he's a complete jerk.
Hmmm Interesting

Fat Lady
Last moved 81 days 23 hours and 53 minutes ago
(2131)
About Fat Lady
I'm just going to finish this current crop of games and then I'll be moving on. Too many engine users here and too little done to stop them.

Does this mean you are back ??

FL

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Mctayto
Hmmm Interesting

Fat Lady
Last moved 81 days 23 hours and 53 minutes ago
(2131)
About Fat Lady
I'm just going to finish this current crop of games and then I'll be moving on. Too many engine users here and too little done to stop them.

Does this mean you are back ??
I never left the chess forum. I enjoy it.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Jan 08

I, like others, only care about my rating in relation to the quality of games I can get. If I were playing nothing but 900-1100 rated players all the time, I would soon grow bored, and my skills (as limited as they are) would atrophy. If I were playing players rated 1600-1800 all the time, I would become frustrated. I might get better, but I would probably quit long before that happened.

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
your rhp rating measures your intellectual capacity.

your rhp rating measures your wealth potential.

your rhp rating is an ego centric measure that motivate humans in a metric driven society.

Read a book!

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
Not high enough to brag about, not low enough to groan about..

It's just a number.

q

Moves
01 Feb 08

Most tournaments are based on rating.The tournament gets a quotient based on the average rating of the players.Last Corus had a quotient of 20,I think it's the highest quotient ever reached.

s

Moves
02 Feb 08

Originally posted by duecer
I, like others, only care about my rating in relation to the quality of games I can get. If I were playing nothing but 900-1100 rated players all the time, I would soon grow bored, and my skills (as limited as they are) would atrophy. If I were playing players rated 1600-1800 all the time, I would become frustrated. I might get better, but I would probably quit long before that happened.
Same for me (but substitute 1800-2000 for 1600-1800). Although, over the long haul (short-term fluctuations are expected and meaningless) its a number I also hope to see increase, since that increase reflects a higher level of understanding and more aesthetically pleasing play.

e

Moves
02 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by scandium
Same for me (but substitute 1800-2000 for 1600-1800). Although, over the long haul (short-term fluctuations are expected and meaningless) its a number I also hope to see increase, since that increase reflects a higher level of understanding and more aesthetically pleasing play.
And most importantly, it reflects a higher level of @sskicking. 😉

More seriously, chess would be a lot worse off without ratings. Ratings are a good benchmark of where your play is and they give you something to strive for. I value less my rating and more its improvement. I would rather be 1600 but rising than 1800 with no growth.

j

Moves
04 Feb 08
1 edit

You show very little imagination. Check the board again.

j

Moves
04 Feb 08

Thank you, that is absolutely correct. elady asked for a resignation when a win was still possible, then got mad when I continued to play. I would think this person would acknowledge my right to exist. I'm going for 40 days and 40 nights of benign neglect.

j

Moves
04 Feb 08

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
Thank you, that is absolutely right. elady asked for a resignation when it was still possible to win, then got mad when I continued to play. I would think this person would acknowledge my right to exist. I'm going for 40 days and 40 nights of benign neglect.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
04 Feb 08
4 edits

Originally posted by Fat Lady
We're not supposed to comment on games on progress. But I'll comment on your opponent - he's a complete jerk.
Game 4460051

j

Moves
04 Feb 08

Originally posted by elady
shshshsh.....
Don't help him to win 😠
I hope he won't read your post
How's that foot in your mouth tasting, eBitch?

l

back in business

Moves
04 Feb 08

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
Huh, can you offer assistance in the forums?

e

Jerusalem

Moves
05 Feb 08
2 edits

Originally posted by jPassage
shshshsh.....
Don't help him to win
I hope he won't read your post
How's that foot in your mouth tasting, eBitch?
Ooops, Gragon fire, he saw your post and started to sing