Judging chess book covers

Judging chess book covers

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TacticsTime.com

Colorado Springs, CO

Moves
24 Aug 12

I am working on a new chess tactics book that will be out by the holiday season for the Amazon Kindle eBook reader.

I need your help deciding on which cover to use!

Go here and make your pick!

https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp

There are 8 different choices. You can rate each cover with a scale of 1-5 stars, and leave comments.

Should just take a minute, and others have told me it was fun, and the feedback is appreciated!

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. I know you were possibly told "Never judge a book by it's cover", but in this case, you are allowed 😉 https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp

W

Moves
24 Aug 12

done!

for me 1 really stood out.But apparently few others like it LOL

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
24 Aug 12

Thanks Tim and a thumbs up for the effort. In #14, is the board turned wrong?

TacticsTime.com

Colorado Springs, CO

Moves
24 Aug 12

thanks Monty! Your comments were great! Do you work in design? Or just own too many chess books 🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
24 Aug 12

Originally posted by TimmyBx
I am working on a new chess tactics book that will be out by the holiday season for the Amazon Kindle eBook reader.

I need your help deciding on which cover to use!

Go here and make your pick!

https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp

There are 8 different choices. You can rate each cover with a scale of 1-5 stars, and leave comments. ...[text shortened]... er", but in this case, you are allowed 😉 https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp
I like 16 best

TacticsTime.com

Colorado Springs, CO

Moves
24 Aug 12

cool, #16 is winning so far 🙂 And yeah, I think that the board is set up wrong on one of them, which MontyMoose pointed out, lol

V

Moves
24 Aug 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
I like 16 best
I also liked 16 best. I preferred a bit of colour on the page rather than too greyish/dull, and secondly, when I see the start position I may think "openings book?" so I liked the fallen king in that respect as it suggests tactics more.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Aug 12

I liked #8. It would look better against a black background, however.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Aug 12
1 edit

Just use a pic of Brian dressed up as Godzilla. 😉
I just now noticed the co-author. 🙂

e4

Moves
25 Aug 12

No 16.

The ttitle is wrong. Call it:

Tactics Time in the Openings.

(anything with Opening the title sells.)

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
25 Aug 12

...thanks Monty! Your comments were great! Do you work in design? Or just own too many chess books...
Too many books? Well, don't we all? Cut my teeth on PageMaker decades ago, so I still look at layout as very important. 😉

s

Moves
25 Aug 12

Of the 8 designs I like #16 best by far but I have a bit of a "thing" about anything which is "101" or "1001" ways to do something, maybe thats just me but I'd rather the title was less prescriptive in that way and more generic "themes and ideas" rather than trying to get to a "special" number

I wish you all the best with the book, anything not written by a GM/IM I find much more instructive than the dross they push out...

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
25 Aug 12

Hey Tim, any other platforms the book will be on? I have a Nook and a PC.

W

Moves
25 Aug 12

I liked #19,sober and stylish.

But few agree

RC

In the ****

Moves
25 Aug 12

cool, #16 is winning so far 🙂 And yeah, I think that the board is set up wrong on one of them, which MontyMoose pointed out, lol
I have 'Lasker's Manual of Chess' published by Dover where the front cover is a picture of Emanuel Lasker sat at a chess board which is not set up correctly i.e. black square bottom right