1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 23:141 edit
    Why keep playing? You are not going to get any better until you figure out what you are doing wrong. Just playing and winning sometimes and losing sometimes but never getting better seems rather useless.

Of course I only starting playing chess to get better so this may be part of my issue.
  2. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    16 May '19 03:44
    Do you mean in general or in a particular game? If you mean in a particular game, there is a good chance your opponent will miss something too. If you mean in general, work hard enough and you'll find what you are missing.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 06:17
    @byedidia

In general. But I do not know. Seems that many people get stuck at the same rating for a very long time. Obviously they quit learning something or topped out in their understanding.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 May '19 07:141 edit
    @eladar said
    Why keep playing? You are not going to get any better until you figure out what you are doing wrong. Just playing and winning sometimes and losing sometimes but never getting better seems rather useless.

Of course I only starting playing chess to get better so this may be part of my issue.

I've observed some people are happy with this arrangement, and don't care if they get better, playing at the same level year after year is A-OK with them.

I used to be driven to improve, and for awhile succeeded, going from the 1300 to 1700+ level in both CC and OTB in 3 years, but it takes sustained motivation to do this, and much as I hate to admit it, I just don't have the interest in chess I used to. Ego won't let me continue playing if I cannot do so at a decent level, which is why I'm considering wrapping up my last tournament here, and fading from the chess scene.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 11:11
    @mchill

Lol we have diffetent views of what is good enough.

My good enough used to be to beat anyone who only knows how the pieces move.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '19 17:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    16 May '19 18:07
    Good enough seems to be a moving target. My understanding from talking to masters is that at every level, you recognize your own mistakes as boneheaded. You always feel like you should be better.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 18:201 edit
    @byedidia

I think my weakness is laziness as in failure to calculate or seeing the move is bad until after I do it. In other words I suffer from failing to look at the entire board.

I think it is a common problem at my level.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 May '19 18:44
    @eladar said

I think wo do get better the more we play.
    The silly mistakes we make are merely lapses in concentration or not studying a game sufficiently before making a move.
    I sometimes play with one eye on the clock e.g I know I have to go out in 10 minutes say but "lets make a few moves before I go so I'm not confronted with lots of games with 1 day left on time when I re log on"
    This is when I make the most mistakes.
    Another time is when I do sit and study for ages , find myself going over the same possible moves over and over so think "what the hell, I'll just move".
    Finally I believe rating to be a poor measure in general of a players ability because it's only based on current rating.For example you are rated 1500, you lose to a 1200 player so lose lots of points.You look at the opponents stats and see his 5 year rating is 1900 but he's lost a high number of by timeout hence the low rating.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 18:511 edit
    @venda

Yeah a 5 year average rating under current rating would be nice.

But still I know there must be some concrete ideas about pawns that I simply do not know about.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 May '19 00:53
    I have been playing a lot of 10 minute blitz games on line and have become kind of numb to winning or losing. Do it enough times and it becomes difficult to remember the outcome of the last game.

Both the joy of victory and anguish of being stupid are short lived.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 May '19 02:14

Removed by poster

13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '19 02:36
    @eladar said

How do you propose "figuring out what you are doing wrong" if you quit playing? The only way to 'figure it out', especially on one's own, is to play more, not less.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 May '19 02:39
    @Suzianne

Many people play many games and never figure things out.
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 May '19 03:18
    @suzianne said
    How do you propose "figuring out what you are doing wrong" if you quit playing? The only way to 'figure it out', especially on one's own, is to play more, not less.
    Exactly what I am finding out, e.g., I'm at the point where I'm thinking "as boring as it seems, it might be a good idea to really learn some openings, instead of just winging it with elements and fragments."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree