This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '20 20:52
    @Eladar

I play one minute bullet on Lichess, I lose a lot on time but I usually have much better positions when the clock drops.
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    12 Sep '20 23:48
    @congruent said
    Try the following :-
    * Chess tactics practice
    * visualization training

I would bet that most of us here (me included) would struggle in visualization.

For example without sight of board, what is the colour of the following squares

E6, F2, G1

Without sight of the board, can the Knight on G1 get to F5? In two or three moves at most.
    Knight's Tour.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 00:01
    Sometimes I move quickly and blunder, then sit there waiting for the hammer to fall, but my opponent completely misses it.

That's almost worse, because I get this sense of cosmic absurdity and wonder why I am going through the motions.

I love this quotation.

You need to come on down to the sub-1300s.

Our whole chess experience is one, constant cosmic absurdity. ^^

Anyway, I agree that playing online is a completely different cat. It could be that the difference in spatial relationships between the board and pieces affect us in different ways.

When I met a friend who also almost plays exclusively online chess to play OTB some 6, 7 years ago, I remember him just freezing for a moment, early in the game, when things were about to get a little complicated, and remarking...

It's so weird seeing this on a board...

And we both really shared a good laugh.

It feels rather weird that, ultimately, it is now stranger for many millions of chess players to see the game unfold on a board.
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 16:10
    If you are losing and blundering heavily i.e. leaving pieces en prise, simple blunders then I recommend withdrawing from rapid chess for a while till you have regrouped. Nothing worse than if you're say a 2000 player, your current rating is 1700 or 1600 and you carry on playing getting hammered to 1300-1500. Your opponents are going to be like circling sharks.
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 17:48
    @Philokalia

playing online is a completely different cat.

Phycology is for me the difference ( no pressure )

Decent post btw
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:09
    @hells-caretaker said
    @Philokalia

playing online is a completely different cat.

Phycology is for me the difference ( no pressure )

Decent post btw
    By phycology you meant psychology?
  8. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 19:27
    @deepthought said
    By phycology you meant psychology?
    Take that to Russ. I didn't design this 'Speelcheekerr'ee
  9. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 18:42
    @Paul-Leggett
    I can vouch for your redhotpawn games for sure because I've been clobbered a couple of times by you.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 01:22
    @rickgarel said
    @Paul-Leggett
    I can vouch for your redhotpawn games for sure because I've been clobbered a couple of times by you.
    Hi all- Rick is being kind because he collected some easy points off me in a game/15 team match on chess.com!

I've been looking very thoroughly over my games, to compare and contrast my chess.com and RHP games. Generally speaking, I get better positions overall on chess.com compared to RHP, but I also drop far more pieces in one-move blunders.

I think I am getting very good positions, then get comfortable and lazy, and then receive a lesson on how lazy is not tolerated in the game.

I am going to review my Rowson books to fix it. His books have been very helpful in the past for getting my head straight.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 16:24
    @hells-caretaker said
    Take that to Russ. I didn't design this 'Speelcheekerr'ee
    The spell checking happens on your device, it's not something Russ can influence. I was guessing that you meant psychology, but phycology looked like a real word, so I wondered if you meant something else. In the meantime I looked it up on Lexico and it gives the definition of phycology as: "The branch of botany concerned with seaweeds and other algae.".
  12. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 18:54
    @paul-leggett said
    Hi all- Rick is being kind because he collected some easy points off me in a game/15 team match on chess.com!

I've been looking very thoroughly over my games, to compare and contrast my chess.com and RHP games. Generally speaking, I get better positions overall on chess.com compared to RHP, but I also drop far more pieces in one-move blunders.

I think I am getting ...[text shortened]... Rowson books to fix it. His books have been very helpful in the past for getting my head straight.
    Fair enough. Perhaps then a blunder check then before you move in your rapid games?
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 18:57
    @congruent said
    Fair enough. Perhaps then a blunder check then before you move in your rapid games?
    Yeah, I need to apply the old Greenpawn64 Post It note mantra of "Check all checks, and look for loose pieces".

It's easy to apply in this format, because I am only making one move. In OTB or online rapid play, I need to remember to do it every single move- the one time I forget can be the one move that loses for me.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 18:58
    @deepthought said
    The spell checking happens on your device, it's not something Russ can influence. I was guessing that you meant psychology, but phycology looked like a real word, so I wondered if you meant something else. In the meantime I looked it up on Lexico and it gives the definition of phycology as: "The branch of botany concerned with seaweeds and other algae.".
    I think he was saying that my calculating or... "chess algae-bra"... needs work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree