Has anyone not banned reached 2500 here?

Has anyone not banned reached 2500 here?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Feb 13

Just curious. I see guys getting close but has anyone not subsequently banned reached 2500?

e

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Just curious. I see guys getting close but has anyone not subsequently banned reached 2500?
? I know its contoversial being too good on here.... i refuse to believe that many people cheat, it would be so boring.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
20 Feb 13

Looking at a 2500 rating here without taking it in the context of how it was reached is almost meaningless.

There are a large number of players on the site who could relatively easily reach 2500 simply by playing a large number of games against substantially lower-rated opponents.

The fact that a player can (with a subscription) play a potentially huge number of games against individually-selected opponents (or even the same opponent) means that a 2500 rating here is almost completely different than a "real world" 2500 rating.

Ratings here can have individual value as a measure of relative progress (assuming one plays the same people), but is almost valueless in comparison to any other chess rating.

I have several real world chess friends who also play on the site, and all of our ratings here are anywhere from 100 to 500 points higher than our equivalent USCF ratings (one of our friends plays strongly at the club, but when we try to get him into a tournament, the clock turns him into jelly). Our running joke is that our ratings here are like Weimar Republic marks.

ml

out on bail

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Looking at a 2500 rating here without taking it in the context of how it was reached is almost meaningless.

There are a large number of players on the site who could relatively easily reach 2500 simply by playing a large number of games against substantially lower-rated opponents.

The fact that a player can (with a subscription) play a potentiall ...[text shortened]... ns him into jelly). Our running joke is that our ratings here are like Weimar Republic marks.
Well said!

w

Moves
21 Feb 13

My own rating here is about 300 points higher than my OTB rating and the same seems to be true for many players.

So if nobody here is above 2500, perhaps it is because nobody here has an OTB rating over 2200.

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
21 Feb 13

I'm 300 points over my FIDE rating

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by kingshill
I'm 300 points over my FIDE rating
I can beat all of those. My RHP rating is nearly 700 points higher than my present USCF rating and is about 400 points higher than my all-time high USCF rating.

s

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I can beat all of those. My RHP rating is nearly 700 points higher than my present USCF rating and is about 400 points higher than my all-time high USCF rating.
why do you think that is RJ ?

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
22 Feb 13

my rating is 180 higher than my all time high as well

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
22 Feb 13

I'm such a patzer.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by st40
why do you think that is RJ ?
Because maybe it is, duh.... Did I whip your arse before?

Moves
22 Feb 13

RJ, just shut it. Perhaps some players on here are willing to put up with your ill humors because they are kinder than I am; however, we all know you are a charlatan. However, why is your rating 700 points higher than your USCF rate? We all know why and it's not because you use an analyze board. Your comments show a lack of understanding that your play does not show. Stop ruining perfectly fine threads with your input.

I've read several places you post because you think you have something to add to the forums, well you simply don't. You just take away from them.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by w0lver1ne
My own rating here is about 300 points higher than my OTB rating and the same seems to be true for many players.

So if nobody here is above 2500, perhaps it is because nobody here has an OTB rating over 2200.
My rating here is 100 points lower than my current USCF(2059).
My high rating in USCF is 2159.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by caissad4
My rating here is 100 points lower than my current USCF(2059).
My high rating in USCF is 2159.
Probably because you have 468 games in progress. I used to have problems managing 80 how do you cope?

On the general point correspondence chess is not over the board chess. Once you get past around 1800 the correlation between OTB ratings and correspondence ratings isn't going to be that strong, for one thing the visualization skills you need over the board aren't significant in correspondence, where analysis boards save you the trouble.

My ECF rating is 126(D) which corresponds to something around 1,600 FIDE, which is about 350 lower than my highest rating here.

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
22 Feb 13

There aren't many people in the USA who know how to spell 'arse' properly 🙂