great sacrifice games?

great sacrifice games?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y

Moves
15 Aug 06

Game 2377606

I love this one, 30 min of calculations leading to a double rook sac win.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
Game 2377606

I love this one, 30 min of calculations leading to a double rook sac win.
nice!!!

Here's an easy sac, but I thought it was quite nice...

Game 2189747

I'm playing black, move 16... can you see it?

Ro

Moves
15 Aug 06

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, it is simply wrong linguistically to say that a "sacrifice" is not a sacrifice if it brings greater benefits. In fact, it is inherent in most uses of the word that it will, as in:

1) The infantry was sacrificed to allow time for the cavalry to arrive
2) I sacrificed being captain to concentrate on my exams
3) Jesus was sacrificed on the cross...hang on I had better not go there

Why did Romans offer "sacrifices"?

Though I hate dictionary definitions, it supports this view.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Aug 06

I said sac.

z

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Shinidoki

and my other axe to grind regarding "sacs" is why they are regarded in such with such awe? - why are players so proud when they sucessfully sac a queen? why is that game held with higher regard and with such reverence that all their other games are little in comparision?
At one point Capablanca was asked something along the lines of how many candidate moves he calculated (and how far ahead) and what was the difference between him and an amatuer.

His response was I only calculate 1 move, but it is the right one!

The point I am leading up to is that we are not robots to endlessly calculate thousands of variations. Instead, based on general principles/experience we calculate from just a few candidate moves that look promising. 99% of the time, that means that we ignore all sacrafices because they just don't look promising on the surface. Hence, "sacs" are awe inspiring because someone took a move that most of us rejected immediatly and found it to be winning. Anyone can find and play Nxc7+ winning the exchange and a pawn, but to find Qxf7+ with a sacrafice leading to mate is truly impressive.

c
The Chessicle

Scotland?

Moves
15 Aug 06

but while I'm here, I may as well post my own: -

Game 2223319

This game is my best example of a Queen sac - it doesn't deliver mate (with best defence) but it does win huge compensation for the initial loss

15. Nf6 was best, the line I considered was.

Nf6 Rxg7 Qb6? [Rf8? Bxf6+ Rxf6 Rg8+] Rxb7 Qd5 Rf7

-- this line (unlike 15.Kd8) ...[text shortened]... I later missed and went on to play a crap endgame {silly 21. Knight sac, instead of Bf3+}...)
I guess someone may have pointed this out already, but how does black avoid mate after 21 a5! to block the flight square to b6?

S

Moves
15 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by zebano
At one point Capablanca was asked something along the lines of how many candidate moves he calculated (and how far ahead) and what was the difference between him and an amatuer.

His response was I only calculate 1 move, but it is the right one!

The point I am leading up to is that we are not robots to endlessly calculate thousands of variations. Instead exchange and a pawn, but to find Qxf7+ with a sacrafice leading to mate is truly impressive.

This is a position taken from a simul played in 1927.

Capa (white) vs. Souza

White to move and has mate in 9. (although there is mate in 8 as an alternative solution)

because it is so long, and because the defence played in the game was a little sub-optimal (although best defence still loses), i'll give you a little helping hand.

black's third move was Qc5.

S

Moves
15 Aug 06
1 edit

Or how about....(this one is also a lot easier)

Netto-Abende, played in 1988

Black to move and mate in 6.

----------------------------------------------------------------
these two are my favoirte examples I have ever seen, and they do illustrate how "sac's" can be amazing, when sac's are played to this deepth (or more) then i do have great respect for them, however, "Qxf7...mate in 2" I find somewhat uninteresting unless it was part of a much more 'intricate' combination.

I also have little interest in asthetic 'sac's' when a simple Ra7 or something would have sufficed.

When the peoples of RHP start to sac like one of those examples is when I'll really shut up and listen.

FL

Moves
15 Aug 06

Or how about....(this one is also a lot easier)

[fen]2b1r3/1p2qpkp/2p3p1/4r3/R4Q2/2P2RP1/P1B2P1P/6K1 b - - 0 1[/fen]

Netto-Abende, played in 1988

Black to move and mate in 6.

----------------------------------------------------------------
these two are my favoirte examples I have ever seen, and they do illustrate how "sac's" can be ama ...[text shortened]... RHP start to sac like one of those examples is when I'll really shut up and listen.
Nice position - I think it's relatively easy because all White's moves are forced:

1. ... Re1+
2. Kg2 Rg1+
3. Kxg1 Qe1+
4. Kg2 Qf1+ The key move!
5. Kxf1 Bh3+
6. Kg1 Re1 mate

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Nice position - I think it's relatively easy because all White's moves are forced:

1. ... Re1+
2. Kg2 Rg1+
3. Kxg1 Qe1+
5. Kxf1 Bh3+
6. Kg1 Re1 mate
Jeeez, unreal. Beyond me, far beyond me... :-/ Fair play!

SS

Moves
15 Aug 06

FL

Moves
15 Aug 06

Yes, it's got two thematic ideas in it - covering the escape square with a check (Bh3+ when the king was on f1) and offloading a rook so that the queen can get in close to the opponent's king (Rg1+ when king was on g2).

S

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by chessicle
I guess someone may have pointed this out already, but how does black avoid mate after 21 a5! to block the flight square to b6?
I sac'd the Queen and by move 18 I had won back what I originally sacrificed, so I was left with a 3p+K+B advantage.

Not giving back the queen would have lost to (17. Bf4+ Ka7 [Qc7] 18. Bf3+ Kb6 19. Rb7#

because I had such a large material advantage I got board and had no interest in the game, consequently, my play because rather sloppy and sluggish, from move 18 on.

which is a bit of a pity, because otherwise it was a nice game....

anyway.

I played 22. a5 ... so do you mean that I should of played a5 instead of my stupid knight sac? (or was "21" a typo, and you meant "22"?)

If you mean 21. a5 then yes, you are correct as it does mate.

but I prefer;

21. Bf3+ Kb6 [Rc7 Rxc7+ Kb8 -- loses another rook, but does prolong mate] a5#

S

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Fat Lady

1. ... Re1+
2. Kg2 Rg1+
3. Kxg1 Qe1+
5. Kxf1 Bh3+
6. Kg1 Re1 mate
yes....100% correct.....

but have you solved the other one?

FL

Moves
15 Aug 06

yes....100% correct.....

but have you solved the other one?
Not yet. I think it's Qxg6 then R1d3, but I haven't worked out how to mate against all Black's possible defences yet.