French d

French d

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King of all Hills

Connecticut

Moves
20 Dec 06

Originally posted by Golub
There is no best reply to the french defense - all are bad.

But, if you still want to blunder with 1. e4, you could try playing the 3. Nd2 which could be a good way for a newcomer to try and equalize with white =)
1. e4 BLUNDER!?!
I got Fischer and Morphy on my side.

e

Moves
20 Dec 06

The French defense isn't exactly the best scoring opening at any level. So one has to wonder whether it is really White who blundered. ;p

h

Moves
20 Dec 06

yeah basically i rarely use french with black.against french i mostly play tarrasch variation,KIA( with 2.d3) and if i want a quick draw i go for exchange variation.

SS

Moves
20 Dec 06

pm

Moves
20 Dec 06

I think the cms master funky doodar highball lowball doo duckey doodar fonstar roller attack is great.
works every time!!

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
20 Dec 06

Morphy liked open games. He played the exchange variation as French. It pretty much equalizes, but Morphy would use his skills in piece play and initiative to get the advantage. Check out some of his games.

King of all Hills

Connecticut

Moves
20 Dec 06

Originally posted by buddy2
Morphy liked open games. He played the exchange variation as French. It pretty much equalizes, but Morphy would use his skills in piece play and initiative to get the advantage. Check out some of his games.
I've studied Him more than any other player because of his beautiful open games. He's always been my favorite, the problem is it's hard to mimick a player who didn't worry too much about opening advantage cuz he'd win anyways.

g

Moves
20 Dec 06

Originally posted by zebano
The Milner-Barry Gambit might be worth a shot. You could try the exchange...
I enjoy the White side of the Milner-Barry Gambit. It goes: 1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 c5 4 c3 Nc6 5 Nf3 Qb6 6 Bd3 Bd7 7 O-O cd 8 cd Nd4 9 Nd4 Qd4 10 Nc3.

As a frequent player of the French myself, I do not like facing the gambit.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
20 Dec 06

Don't be a pussy. 3. e5.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
20 Dec 06

play the exchange, every french player hates that... maybe if we all play it nobody will play the french anymore.

g

Moves
20 Dec 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
play the exchange, every french player hates that... maybe if we all play it nobody will play the french anymore.
The Exchange French isn't necessarily drawish. As long as Black avoids symmetrical piece development and doesn't trade off all of the heavy pieces on the open e-file, then the game still has a lot of life to it.

c

Moves
21 Dec 06

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
The Exchange French isn't necessarily drawish. As long as Black avoids symmetrical piece development and doesn't trade off all of the heavy pieces on the open e-file, then the game still has a lot of life to it.
Yeah, I agree, but it does seem that French players hate it, just like Sicilian players hate seeing the closed Sicilian. It's not because what white is playing is good, just rather not something that black is prepared as well for/isn't as fun for either side.

Y

Moves
22 Dec 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Yeah, I agree, but it does seem that French players hate it, just like Sicilian players hate seeing the closed Sicilian. It's not because what white is playing is good, just rather not something that black is prepared as well for/isn't as fun for either side.
as a Sicilian player, I don't necessarily hate the Closed Sicilian or Grand Prix Attack, I just hate idiots who play 2. Bc4?!

On the upside, I know that I should come out of the opening looking good

Y

Moves
22 Dec 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
do french players hate the 2. d3 King's Indian Attack?

SS

Moves
23 Dec 06
1 edit