1. Joined
    14 May '02
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 19:11
    The mighty Tebb is currently playing in the European Union Individual Chess Championship. After losing a marathon battle against international master Stuart Haslinger in the first round, he's bounced back with a couple of convincing wins.

You can follow his fortunes on the tournament website : http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/index.htm and download pgn versions of the games from previous rounds.
  2. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 19:13
    Excellent! The very best of luck, David.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 23:17
    I do not consider a player strong until they are rated at least 2650 in over the board play vs 2600 and higher rated players. Tebb is not that strong a player. Perhaps his correnspondence play is another matter. Tebb may be a very strong correnspondence player. There are no GMs in here to really test the top players.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 23:23
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I do not consider a player strong until they are rated at least 2650 in over the board play vs 2600 and higher rated players. Tebb is not that strong a player. Perhaps his correnspondence play is another matter. Tebb may be a very strong correnspondence player. There are no GMs in here to really test the top players.
    Wow, that's just an ignorant statement. Hardly anybody ever reaches that level. 2600+ is beyond strong, I think any 2000+ player's are strong, even some 1800's and 1900's fit into the category of strong.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 23:24
    So basically what you're saying is only the top 50 are strong players?
    That's just.....ROFL
    🙄🙄🙄
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 23:25
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Wow, that's just an ignorant statement. Hardly anybody ever reaches that level. 2600+ is beyond strong, I think any 2000+ player's are strong, even some 1800's and 1900's fit into the category of strong.
    I tend to agree. If you really analyze that game against Stu Haslinger in the first round you'll realize that it was completely for a long time, and Tebb made some errors in time trouble around the time control. Look at the other games, they are played incredibly well.
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 07:55
    This is both a very blasé and very stupid statement. That would put for instance Yasser Seirawan (the real one) in the category not-strong players.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 08:05
    Define the term "Strong player"?

One def could be by ELO rating:
    Among the 1000 best players in the world could be considered Strong (S).
    Among the 100 best players in the world could be considered Really Strong (RS).
    Among the 10 best players in the worlds could be considered Really Really Strong (RRS).
    And the best player in the world colud be - eh - The Strongest (TS).

Then I will never be near Strong, ever. But my sister thinks I am strong, and that is good enough for me.
  9. Joined
    14 May '02
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 08:22
    I wouldn't want to argue with your sister
  10. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 09:51
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Excellent! The very best of luck, David.
    Thanks. I'll need it. I've got black against an IM today.

Although he's only rated 2422. So by gambit's standards he must be a very weak player!
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 11:042 edits
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Thanks. I'll need it. I've got black against an IM today.

Although he's only rated 2422. So by gambit's standards he must be a very weak player!
    good luck!

live feeds, in half an hour I think?
    http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/eu_live_06.htm

btw, does anyone know if fics is going to relay the games?
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 11:52
    Considering that 2200 was called in the old days a "candidate master" it is no surprise then that 2200+ players consist of 1% of the chess playing populace. If you look at the British Championship or the Olympiad for instance, some 2200ish games are quite interesting.

I too while not a tebb fan (whatever that is), would wish him or any RHP player all the best in OTB play. Till you have talked the talk and walked the walk in OTB, you are not z00t enough!

z00t! z00t!
    I'll see you when you get there!
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 12:47
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    just noticed it's finnish mika karttunen you're playing against, and now I'm having mixed feelings about who to root for. 🙂 too bad the live feeds show only top 8 boards...
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 13:40
    Best of luck David, even if you are a weakling 😉. You know most of us are behind you.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 16:43
    I had a look at his games. The last two opponents didn't seem so hot, though they could have been in time trouble or something... ANywho, best of luck Dave! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree