Fool's Mate and Scholar's Mate

Fool's Mate and Scholar's Mate

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EH

Moves
10 May 07

I know I've seen these topics here...but I wanted to ask, and I don't mean to sound arrogant here at all, but do you feel almost insulted when someone tries these on you?

z

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
I know I've seen these topics here...but I wanted to ask, and I don't mean to sound arrogant here at all, but do you feel almost insulted when someone tries these on you?
yes

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 May 07

Insulted yes but then I slaughter them.

C

Moves
10 May 07

I'm not sure I'm insulted, but I find myself really annoyed. It's not challenging, and I keep thinking, "Do you really think I don't see that?" People that play for such quick wins tend to also create idle and obvious threats as well. Usually this involves moving their queen all over the board to attack pawns.

A

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by Chesswick
I'm not sure I'm insulted, but I find myself really annoyed. It's not challenging, and I keep thinking, "Do you really think I don't see that?" People that play for such quick wins tend to also create idle and obvious threats as well. Usually this involves moving their queen all over the board to attack pawns.
I've found that these are usually attempted by patzers. Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

MR

Moves
10 May 07

No, I don't get insulted. I just chuckle at the attempt. (But I must say that not long ago I might have fallen for a scholar's mate.)

I also chuckle at people who refuse to resign when it's just a simple, basic mate procedure. I just use that opportunity to brush up on my mating technique. 🙂

a

Moves
10 May 07

Even worst, is when it works (2798654), at least this guy was kind enough to to allow me a rematch.

AS

Ede, Netherlands

Moves
10 May 07

Game 2798654 that's this game

i

Moves
10 May 07

should we talk to them in-game....like 1.e3. e5. 2.Qh5 sorry for the long pause, but i was looking up checkers sites for you to play on.

any better ones?

A

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
should we talk to them in-game....like 1.e3. e5. 2.Qh5 sorry for the long pause, but i was looking up checkers sites for you to play on.

any better ones?
Ha!

z

Moves
10 May 07

At each "level" players have certain moves they prefer. As you move up the scale the quality of the play improves as it is harder to gain the advantage. Once you stop dropping pieces, can sac, can play several openings and you are aware of certain endgames you can play a decent game.

F

Moves
10 May 07

Please, give me a clean example of Fool's Mate and one of Scholar's Mate, anyone...?

m

Moves
10 May 07

Wikipedia has a good animation of Scholar's mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholar's_mate

i

Moves
10 May 07

hopefully i will see it a lot in my 1st tournament (may0-1150) they always have 1 plan in their mind it seems...

MR

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
hopefully i will see it a lot in my 1st tournament (may0-1150) they always have 1 plan in their mind it seems...
You might have a better chance of seeing it if you play scholastic kids rated under 1000. But in my otb games with kids over 1000 and adults in general, I've yet to have someone try a scholar's mate on me.