1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 16:21
    I was just browsing around to FIDE lists, and I noticed that many high rated players do not have FIDE titles.
    I am wandering why it is like this, as I know that 2200-2300 should be CM and 2300+ should be FM by default, isn't it ? And I even saw a few 2400+ without any title...

Is it FIDE requesting for some title fee that these players do not want to pay ? Or is the application procedure complicated ? Or these guys do not care at all about their FIDE papers ?

What do you think ?
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    I was just browsing around to FIDE lists, and I noticed that many high rated players do not have FIDE titles.
    I am wandering why it is like this, as I know that 2200-2300 should be CM and 2300+ should be FM by default, isn't it ? And I even saw a few 2400+ without any title...

Is it FIDE requesting for some title fee that these players do not want to pay ? ...[text shortened]... complicated ? Or these guys do not care at all about their FIDE papers ?

What do you think ?
    Fide do indeed want money for all these titles, which is what puts off a lot of people from applying for them.

As I mentioned before in another thread, about 15 years ago I was offered the Fide Master title,
    but turned it down because I thought the £100 "admin" fee that they demanded to process the paperwork was too much.

I've no idea how much the charges are nowadays.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 20:54
    Its a joke that FIDE charge for these "titles". That said, if I ever got anywhere near good enough to be offered one I'd pay it.

Shallow I know.....
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 21:33
    I don't understand why CM is even considered a title. I assume that "candidate master" means that you are not a master yet, but you are close to it.

FIDE doesn't automatically pay the championship purse to the person who wins the candidates matches/tournament.
  5. under your bed
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 22:091 edit
    I would say even getting a CM title is still an achievement in chess - how many people on this site have a 2200+ FIDE rating or could even get near it in their lifetime?

What makes me laugh is all the patzers slagging off the fees for these titles when they won't ever have to worry about paying for it!
  6. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 23:541 edit
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Fide do indeed want money for all these titles, which is what puts off a lot of people from applying for them.

I've no idea how much the charges are nowadays.
    A quick check through FIDE's budget statement for 2010 reveals annual expenditure for 2009 of 1.6 million euros. The annual income lines are entirely blank 🙄

Undaunted, I tracked down the 2008 budget statement. This reveals an income of 134,000 euros generated from the award (sale?) of FIDE titles, roughly 10% of FIDE's annual income for the year 😲
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 00:39
    Sounds like the Candidate Expert, the Candidate Class A and the Candidate Class B are incoming.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 00:45
    Originally posted by plopzilla

What makes me laugh is all the patzers slagging off the fees for these titles when they won't ever have to worry about paying for it!
    the SECOND post in this thread is from someone who WAS in that very situation, and declined because of the cost. 🙄
  9. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 07:56
    so, returning to my initial question, you think the money is the main issue for some players not having the titles?
  10. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 10:41
    Originally posted by vipiu
    you think the money is the main issue for some players not having the titles?
    Money, maybe. Value for money, definitely
  11. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 11:12
    Having to pay for the title diminishes its value.It's like winning a tournament and having to buy your own trophy.
    Some feel it's still worth it,others don't.And yet others simply can't spare the cash.

Btw,isn't it only the FM title you have to buy?They also charge for IM & GM?

toet.
  12. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 13:31
    Originally posted by toeternitoe

toet.
    By deductive reasoning only, I'd say FIDE does not charge for GM or IM titles.

Annual income from title sales is c. €134,000. If all that income came only from FM titles @£100/€120 each, that would imply c.1100 FM titles a year. Given that c. 300 GM & IM titles are awarded each year, the FM total does not seem out of line.

As I say, my assumptions are derived from the data in view. The truth may be different
  13. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '11 13:53
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    Having to pay for the title diminishes its value.It's like winning a tournament and having to buy your own trophy.
    Some feel it's still worth it,others don't.And yet others simply can't spare the cash.

toet.
    very well said...
    even the fee is low, the feeling that you "buy" your trophy would be very annoying...
  14. Joined
    23 Apr '09
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 15:231 edit
    In most cases the "fee" for a fide title is paid by that players' federation. If the federation is not willing to pay then the player can but if the fee isnt paid then the title is not awarded/official. Its in the interests of every federation to have as many titled players as possible thus the Federation's willingness to pay the fees in most cases. Ofcourse they are far more likely to pay for the IM or GM than for a CM or FM.
  15. Philadelphia
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 18:41
    How much for a FIDE title if you have a 1200 rating? $200?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree