European Individual championships

European Individual championships

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 12
2 edits

Anyone following this event? I have been following Fabiano Caruana, who has played
some uncompromising chess. Eventually he will be challenging Magnus I reckon, its
only a matter of time. Anish Giri not doing so well. Étienne Bacrot, French numero
uno doing pretty well, as is that cad and bounder Ivan Cheparinov of the handshake
infamy. Movsesian also doing pretty good. Check it out,

http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
24 Mar 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
as is that cad and bounder Ivan Cheparinov of the handshake
infamy.
I missed it. What was that about?

rc

Moves
24 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by hedonist
I missed it. What was that about?
it was ages ago, he refused to shake Nigel Shorts hand and Short after offering his
hand a second time called the arbiter and stated that it was a violation of the rules and
Cheparinov fortified the game, but on appeal, it was put to a rematch and after shaking
Nigel shorts hand the game commenced. It was all to do with something Short said
about the Toplav Kramnik toilet gate affair.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
24 Mar 12
1 edit

it was ages ago, he refused to shake Nigel Shorts hand and Short after offering his
hand a second time called the arbiter and stated that it was a violation of the rules and
Cheparinov fortified the game, but on appeal, it was put to a rematch and after shaking
Nigel shorts hand the game commenced. It was all to do with something Short said
about the Toplav Kramnik toilet gate affair.
Oh yeh, I remember that. Might of known Nosher was involved.

I like Nigal Short. He gets a lot of stick because he speaks his mind. But people forget that he was once rated 3rd in the world. And that was in the days of Kasparov/Karpov when they were in their prime. So it meant more than it does now, maybe.

Regarding his comments. I think Short has a sense of humor that some don't get. Hence he annoys some folk.

rc

Moves
24 Mar 12

Originally posted by hedonist
Oh yeh, I remember that. Might of known Nosher was involved.

I like Nigal Short. He gets a lot of stick because he speaks his mind. But people forget that he was once rated 3rd in the world. And that was in the days of Kasparov/Karpov when they were in their prime. So it meant more than it does now, maybe.

Regarding his comments. I think Short has a sence of humor that some don't get. Hence he annoys some folk.
he certainly annoyed Danilov , he was livid! I like Nigel short, hes like the ultimate
geek!

e

Jerusalem

Moves
24 Mar 12

Anyone following this event? http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/
Yes. Did you see Sutovsky's win over Grigoryants?

rc

Moves
25 Mar 12
2 edits

Originally posted by elady
Yes. Did you see Sutovsky's win over Grigoryants?
Hi, there was some really interesting games yesterday, this is the game to which you
refer, a rather beautiful combination, beginning on move 32. Re8+ 🙂

If
..gxf6 then, Qh5+, ...Kg7 and Qh8 check a mate!

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
26 Mar 12

tricky!

Houston, Texas

Moves
26 Mar 12
2 edits

Hi, there was some really interesting games yesterday, this is the game to which you
refer, a rather beautiful combination, beginning on move 32. Re8+ 🙂

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 O-O 9. d4 Bg4 10. Be3 Bh5 11. h3 Bg6 12. Nbd2 Qd7 13. Nh4 d5 14. Nxg6 hxg6 15. exd5 Nxd5 16. dxe5 Nxe5 17. Bc5 ...[text shortened]... R1e5 Nxe5 34. Nf6+ *[/pgn]

If[hidden]..gxf6 then, Qh5+, ...Kg7 and Qh8 check a mate![/hidden]
That was pretty, or some might prefer the word elegant.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
27 Mar 12

In fact I don't see why white did not exchange the rooks.

Houston, Texas

Moves
27 Mar 12

Originally posted by Ponderable
In fact I don't see why white did not exchange the rooks.
Are you talking about here. White to move.

D

Moves
28 Mar 12

rc

Moves
28 Mar 12

wow number 4 seed Anish Giri beaten again, this time by a mere Fide master, Tamas
Fodor from Hungry. Today our hero, Fabiano Caruana takes on English GM, Gawain
Jones which should be a real interesting contrast of style, Fabiano is very positional
whereas from what i can tell, Jones tends to be very direct. Number 2 seed
Mamedyarov managed his first win, previously he had only managed 5 draws.
Hopefully there will be some interesting chess, yesterday was rather boring, with the
exception of Azarov v Naiditsch game, where white in time trouble, sometimes down to
the last second (you get increments), scored a victory against the German supremo!

http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by moon1969
Are you talking about here. White to move.

[fen]1r1rR3/2p2ppk/2n3p1/2nq4/1p4N1/2P2Q1P/1PB2PP1/4R1K1 w - - 12 33[/fen]
No I was talking about an alternative to the move Kh7, and I see that I would have exchanged the rook for a Queen, probably also not that clever.

rc

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

wow such controversy today, Mamedyarov forfeited, arriving just 10 seconds late! 1.Nf3 1-0!