erice1 banned

erice1 banned

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
Thanks Fat Lady. That was a crazy game.

Rarrogant loves to bring this comment up as part of his never ending assault on me and my friends.

I'm in my 40's. When I played tournament chess, there was no internet.

I lived in NYC for many years. In New York there used to be a place called "Off Track Betting" universally referred to as "OTB"

R ...[text shortened]... me and asked the second question, which Sicilian Smog correctly identified as a poor joke.
Actually, Sicilian Smaug just called you a "dick" - which I would say was a "very insightful comment". There's no indication he thought you were making a "poor joke".

FL

Moves
13 Feb 08

Back to erice1...

What's going on with all the games between erice1 and petrovitch?
http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/viewpublicgames.php?&p1uid=361975&p2uid=387165&page=1

They all seem to be unrated and many of them finished within a few minutes of each other.

Where they created for petrovitch's Personal Chess Trainer site?
http://www.personalchesstraining.com/main.php?request=player&studentId=78

t

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Back to erice1...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/viewpublicgames.php?&p1uid=361975&p2uid=387165&page=1

They all seem to be unrated and many of them finished within a few minutes of each other.

yes, erice "solved" 39 of those problems.

l

back in business

Moves
13 Feb 08

What has erice1's father or son or whoever said about what happened to his son/father? When chessisvanity was banned some guy popped up to give chessisvanity's "opinion".

g
Mad Murdock

I forgot

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by ludz
What has erice1's father or son or whoever said about what happened to his son/father? When chessisvanity was banned some guy popped up to give chessisvanity's "opinion".
He plays chess Game 4336947

FL

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by gambit05
He plays chess Game 4336947
http://homepage.mac.com/onehundredbhq/.Public/bodysnatchers.jpg

p

Moves
13 Feb 08

Back to erice1...

erice1 was a student in our training group at www.personalchesstraining.com

In fact, he was an excellent student. We had a good laugh when he promoted his pawn to a queen in the F. Saavedra position thus falling into a trap that allowed a stalemate.

He learned to recognize the Lucena position in positions taken from grandmaster games that are beyond the horizontal limitations of a computer. And that's not easy to learn.

He had a tendency to hang on to a material advantate even when an easy transposition to a winning positional game was best. He found unique solutions to some of the most famous chess problems of all time. I once told him in a certain complex position that Dvoretsky suggested this or that. He just laughed and said, "What do grandmasters know?" And his solution worked!

I set a benchmark in a game with him where I was able to use the abstract knowledge we had been studying to beat him in one of the most complex positions I've ever studied. I recognized that I could create a BATTLE FORTRESS with a bishop and two pawns that could not be penetrated. I had seen this done, but had never done it myself. The maneuver would take more than 20 moves to implement. In fact, I commented that it was beyond the horizontal limitations of a computer and could not be calculated by any human. My point was, if you didn't know this abstract concept, you wouldn't see it.

After beating him with abstract knowledge taught by Mark Dvoretsky in many of his wonderful books, erice1 was eager to learn. He knew his endgame was his weakest point and enrolled in our study group. Our software was created to send out one exercise at at time; we made a major reconstruction of the programs to allow a student to request more than one problem to solve simultaneously. This was done at the request of erice1.

He had never read a book on chess. That's the only think that passed between us that I could not understand.

erice1 was a strong player (with or without a comptuer).

MR

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by petrovitch

In fact, he was an excellent student. We had a good laugh when he promoted his pawn to a queen in the F. Saavedra position thus falling into a trap that allowed a stalemate.

He learned to recognize the Lucena position in positions taken from grandmaster games that are bey ...[text shortened]... that I could not understand.

Way to go! Whack the hornets' nest one more time. 😉

a

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Way to go! Whack the hornets' nest one more time. 😉
🙄😲

You guys are killing me!

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
13 Feb 08

... erice1 was a strong player (with or without a comptuer)
In the deleted thread Fat Lady cited a game played just a few months ago that showed beyond any doubt that erice1 was not a strong player.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
13 Feb 08
2 edits

He learned to recognize the Lucena position in positions taken from grandmaster games that are bey that I could not understand.

a lot of what you just said spells engine to me. saavedra obviously not, but he probably just thought he 'saw' the solution and queened, like most of us no doubt did the first time. thinking he didn't need to check with engine because he already 'solved' it.

lucena, well I have no idea what recognizing it from far ahead would take, so I'll take your word for that. I once saw someone posting a blitz game here, where he commented recognizing lucena ahead and went for it, and it was very impressive indeed.

but all cheating aside, it is possible he developed a real interest in chess with you guys. one can only hope he smartens up and stops cheating from now on. but from what I've seen, it's not very likely.

about the OTB term, I have never heard a finnish counterpart for it. I doubt one even exists. I think separating OTB from internet chess is a distinction that only becomes necessary online. I also think it's perfectly possible that for example a dinosaur like korchnoi has never heard it. (I have no idea if korchnoi is familiar with computers or not, I'm just guessing here. but I think the point comes across.)

FL

Moves
13 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
In the deleted thread Fat Lady cited a game played just a few months ago that showed beyond any doubt that erice1 was not a strong player.
It took a while to find, but here is the game from the deleted thread: Game 4069280.

Here's another weird one: Game 4010704. Appalling play against someone who was later banned for cheating himself.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
13 Feb 08

It took a while to find, but here is the game from the deleted thread: Game 4069280.

Here's another weird one: Game 4010704. Appalling play against someone who was later banned for cheating himself.
single games are always fun to look at, but you need to keep in mind there might be reasons to play on even when there's nothing but absolutely ridiculous moves left.

I have one such game going on against smaug right now, which I practically lost months ago, but as he resigned dozens of games losing hundreds of points to get his game load to a manageable level, I'm just waiting for him to get back up now. I'm sure the game would look just as bad as the ones you just posted...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Feb 08
1 edit

He learned to recognize the Lucena position in positions taken from grandmaster games that are bey that I could not understand.

The Lucena position is solved by any 5 piece tablebase.

"He had a tendency to hang on to a material advantate even when an easy transposition to a winning positional game was best" - This is typical of chess engines and is one of the easiest ways to tell an engine user from a strong human player.

There are no "horizontal limitations" in endgame tablebases. And a "strong player" who had "never read a book on chess"???? Pleeze.

p

Moves
13 Feb 08

Wow! That looks more like a 1400 playing blitz. I dropped a queen once because of a mouse slip while trying to teach a student, but that first game is terrible. Not a problem with a mouse; maybe a rat.